And I who have written much in prose and verse

For others’ uses, will write now for mine,-

Will write my story for my better self,

As when you paint your portrait for a friend,

Who keeps it in a drawer and looks at it

Long after he has ceased to love you, just

To hold together what he was and is.”

-“Aurora Leigh” from Elizabeth Barrett Browning

I was nine years old when I discovered the world of words….the magic that exists when one puts pen to paper and lets the words flow like a river. What I didn’t count on were my teachers….and my classmates…..reading what I wrote and declaring it good. From that point on, I was held to a higher standard; the “see Jane run” sentences were no longer acceptable in my case. The teachers wanted my writing to sing, shout, whisper, and chant. They expected Christmas, New Years, Easter, and summer vacation when they read my writing. The problem was... I saw my writing as a part of me that I wanted to keep secret.

Unfortunately, nothing that’s written is ever secret or private. The moment pen hits paper, it becomes public…it belongs to the world. I was not ready to share so much of myself with the watching, waiting world. What if they hate what I write? What if they love it? Although many people have commented favorably on my writing, I still see it as a work in progress. Sometimes, I see it as a mess in the making, but that’s for another day. My writing is me….and I am my writing. At least that’s what I’ve come to understand.

My writing endures even after the lights go down, everyone has gone home, and the show is over….when old friends fade in the background and the places I’ve been are but a distant memory. My writing endures when others have long forgotten my name, my face, and my legacy. My writing endures…even if it never gets published or sold. My writing is me…the better self who wants to keep enjoying the world of words and discover more therein.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts