Mens Tennis Forums banner

On which surface is Djokovic the better player, clay or grass?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He has two Wimbledon titles and zero Roland Garros titles, so it has to be grass, right?????????????? :confused: :angel::confused::cool:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Grass, there's just less oppertunity to prove it with no Masters 1000's on the surface and he doesn't play a warm up at Halle or Queens add to the fact Murray and Federer are much better on grass so the competition is tougher for him.

Rafa isn't as motivated on clay outside of RG and Djokovic takes advantage to win some Masters tournneys which makes people think clay is his 2nd best surface but in reality he's played at a better level at Wimbledon than RG throughout his career.

If there was a 3 month grass season peoples opinions would definetly be changed.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
he has 5 Masters on clay, won 4 against Nadal
it is only the Bo5 and Philippe Chatrier that hindered his RG success

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Clay imo. It's very easy for people to say grass because he's just won Wimbledon, but I'm afraid the Rafael Nadal strangle-hold on the Philip Chat court just helps undermine just what a great ClayCourt player Novak really is.

Last year he got obliterated by Murray in straights and people were having kneejerk reactions about being 'clownovic' on grass. Funny how things and consensus change in a year.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Such a stupid question novak is way better and more comfortable on clay than he is on grass despite him having 2 wimbys and 0 RG.

But overall he is great on all surfaces

·
Registered
590 Posts
He's amazing on all surfaces. He can even grind opponents down on a grass court. It's probably his weakest surface just because of the slippery court.

·
Registered
21,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Question of the century :lol:

Either answer is both technically and equally correct.
No, the only right answer is clay.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
He is obviously better on clay. But that being said I never thought that Djokovic was as bad on grass as some people here would have you believe, and his now double Wimbledon titles prove that.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
honestly I do think he may be better on clay but I don't think the difference is that big at this point

Djokovic has a very poor traditional grass court game- however he is so capable of moving quickly and stretching and has such sheer determination that he has become very effective on grass. granted maybe poor young talent and a lot of fellow grinders have made this easier, but regardless watching him against Federer in the final today it's obvious Novak has great placement and his serve has improved ten-fold

very tough to say. I think people are jumping the gun and saying clay for obvious reasons, but it's not as though there are a lot of grass tournaments where you get to see Djokovic's game evolve on the surface. I mean he only plays Wimbledon most years recently, no other tournament on the green. I think if there were a number of Master's 1000's on the surface it might be more fair to compare

the obvious thing is "oh Djokovic is a grinder! clay!" but at this point I really think HC is by far where he is best and the natural surfaces fairly close

Djokovic has seemed second to Nadal and a very capable clay court player, but the clay court field is a bit ehhhhh

·
Registered
17,365 Posts
No, the only right answer is clay.
I don't think it's that clear cut. Perhaps he may be UNDERRATED on grass at this point. He may have a natural clay court game but athletics is 1% physical and 99% mental. He demonstrated at the French that his mental game hasn't quite matched his physical game whereas on grass, he clearly has both.

"Nadal is just too overwhelming" isn't a valid excuse, IMO. At least not anymore.

EDIT: But if I had to choose, I would pick clay.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Let's face it, without Nadal, Djokovic would have cleaned house at RG from 2012 onwards. He's stronger on clay than grass.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
It´s clay... RG-Wimbledon has nothing to do with it, if he would play more Queens-halle he would loose there few times, clay is his better surface

1 - 20 of 35 Posts