Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Federer aims for big Paris finish after Basle home triumph - Summary
Posted : Sun, 28 Oct 2007 17:32:05 GMT
Author : DPA
Category :
News Alerts by Email click here )
Create your own RSS

News | Home

Basle, Switzerland - Roger Federer heads to his first appearance in four years at the Paris Masters basking in the glow of his home crowd after winning a second straight Swiss Indoors on Sunday. The 12-time Grand Slam winner became the fifth man in history to clinch a fourth career year-end world number one honour after Jimmy Connors, John McEnroe, Ivan Lendl and Pete Sampras.

Federer took his four all in a row, capping his latest with a 6-3, 6-4 win over longtime friend Jarkko Nieminen in the Basel final.

"I'llbe going to Paris, there's no pulling out now," said the winner, who withdrew from the final event of the ATP regular season a year ago and last played the tournament in 2003.
The top seed put on a command performance at home as he rolled Nieminen for the eighth time without a defeat. It took just 61 minutes minutes to lift his seventh trophy of the season, most on the ATP.

"It's so nice to win in front of the home crowd. The match went a bit quickly, it was gone in an hour.

"That might have been hard for fans who came to see me from far away, but in the end, I expect most of them were hoping for me to win. So hopefully they go home happy.

"The public really helped me, especially at 4-4 in the second when I was able to break Jarkko."

Nieminen, who knocked out a pair of former finalists in Fernando Gonzalez and Marcos Baghdatis, remains pleased with his own effort this turnaround week.

"Roger is the best in the world and it's so tough to beat him," said Nieminen, 1-6 in career finals. "I have still had a great week.

"I tried my best but it was not enough to beat him. Roger is so good when it gets tough.

"I was trying too hard at the start, 0-3 is not the best way to begin. I played better in the second set but it was not enough."

Nieminen also takes confidence to Paris.

"I'm going in strong, it's totally different than how I felt a week ago when I came her from Madrid (first-round loss)."

Federer, who ran his 2007 record to 63-7 on Sunday, heads the field at the elite Masters Cup in Shanghai from November 11.

The last two places in the eight-man field will be decided next week in the French capital.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Yah Roger, finally going to play Bercy! Can't wait for Fed vs Dr. Ivo Part III!

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Looks like a huge upset is coming right away
Can't wait to see GM go all bonkers because of a Fed Tank Job. :angel:

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Can't wait to see GM go all bonkers because of a Fed Tank Job. :angel:
excuses excuses excuses. :p
I believe there is a thread of fedtard excuse book. i would even bother reading that crap. :lol:

i assume gamblers will have big payday next week. Bilbo, dylan,Jaap will have a busy week.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
I would feel loads better about Roger playing Paris if he didn't have to gear up mentally for a meeting with Dr. Ivo AGAIN. This is just not a player you need to be playing less than a week apart.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fed fans need to stop bitching. He's there to win. Fed is still the favorite and I am confident he'll do fine. Let Ivo worry about Fed. Fed gets more points off Karlovics serve than Karlovics gets off Feds. Haveing played Ivo in Basel will help Fed read his serve.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
I would feel loads better about Roger playing Paris if he didn't have to gear up mentally for a meeting with Dr. Ivo AGAIN. This is just not a player you need to be playing less than a week apart.
Um, Ivo hasn't won his 1st round match yet.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Quite honestly if he's going there to tank then I'd rather he not show up. To me there's no difference between not showing up and showing up but not really trying.
Don't worry, I was just kidding - I very much believe that IF Roger shows up, he'll do everything to win the dratted thing. And as it now looks like that he'll indeed do so, I just hope he'll have some energy left in the tank for Shanghai.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What makes everyone think he is not gonna try. Maybe the fact that he has nothing to loose and is feeling relax will actually help his play. One of the reasons I'm a fan of Fed is that I believe he always puts out his best effort. I predict a good run this week.

·
1,000 Baby!
19,909 Posts
So now we know why Fed is showing up in Paris.....to collect his $1.5M bonus. :lol:

http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2007news/federer_race07.asp
Swiss in line for $1.5m payout from ATP Masters Series Bonus Pool

Basel, Switzerland – Roger Federer clinched the year-end No. 1 ranking for the fourth consecutive year after defending his hometown title at the Davidoff Swiss Indoors Basel title on Sunday. He is the fourth player to finish No. 1 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings for at least four consecutive years, joining Pete Sampras (6), Jimmy Connors (5) and John McEnroe (4). Ivan Lendl also finished No. 1 four times but in five years.

As well as securing the end of season No. 1 slot, Federer is also in line to secure a $1.5m payout from the ATP Masters Series Bonus Pool. The $3 million ATP Masters Series Bonus Pool pays $1.5m, $750,000, $500,000 and $250,000 respectively to the world's top four players in the year-end ATP Race standings (released after Tennis Masters Cup) provided they have played eight of the season's nine ATP Masters Series tournaments, including Madrid and Paris.

·
Retired Party Hostess
14,976 Posts
So now we know why Fed is showing up in Paris.....to collect his $1.5M bonus. :lol:

As well as securing the end of season No. 1 slot, Federer is also in line to secure a $1.5m payout from the ATP Masters Series Bonus Pool. The $3 million ATP Masters Series Bonus Pool pays $1.5m, $750,000, $500,000 and $250,000 respectively to the world's top four players in the year-end ATP Race standings (released after Tennis Masters Cup) provided they have played eight of the season's nine ATP Masters Series tournaments, including Madrid and Paris.
:lol: :yeah:

Thanks for finding the info. Smart/financially resourceful one, this Federer. ;)

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
Haha, good reason to show up indeed, Feds!

Buy a new Mercedes with that... or a new cow. ;)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts