Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
There's no way Murray is retiring before Wimbledon.

Of the two, Wawrinka has the brighter future but his Masters and Slam competing days are likely behind him.

Murray really should just give it up but he's a stubborn bastard and unfortunately for him he will fade to obscurity after a first round loss instead of going out on a high.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I supposed Stan could retire ranked in the top 20, and still mounting a return to the Top 10. Stan has lost in the last 2 Slams to guys there are no excuses for losing to, but I don't put much stock in upsets in this COVID-19 environment. Without the pressure of a packed house, at a Major, there will be some giant-killers whom will never be heard of again. Retire in 2020? Stan's no fool.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I supposed Stan could retire ranked in the top 20, and still mounting a return to the Top 10. Stan has lost in the last 2 Slams to guys there are no excuses for losing to, but I don't put much stock in upsets in this COVID-19 environment. Without the pressure of a packed house, at a Major, there will be some giant-killers whom will never be heard of again. Retire in 2020? Stan's no fool.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
But he just was lucky first 2 rounds. It's fact

·
Registered
5,359 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Stans peak level is still there or thereabouts. If he gets to the latter stages of a slam, he is hard to bet against, but he is always vulnerable early on

·
Registered
21,632 Posts
Stans peak level is still there or thereabouts. If he gets to the latter stages of a slam, he is hard to bet against, but he is always vulnerable early on
This is not proven, though the last 2 times it was unfavorable conditions and against Federer and Nadal.
His best slams are AO and RG, at AO his recent results were not promising to say the least; at RG obviously big competition even till R4 and needs the other side of the draw from Nadal.
Too many ifs and I don't really see this happen anymore as he suffered 3 QF losses recently, 2 of those against Medvedev and Zverev whom he should have beaten if what you're claiming is still true, even against Federer on clay he should have won last year. He has become too inconsistent even in slams, even in latter stages, that's the truth.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Wawrinka still plays tennis at a pretty decent level, he's a top 20 player with top 5 level ballstriking and can seriously trouble the absolute top on a good day as we've seen it in the near past where he beat Djokovic at the USO or Medvedev at the AO.

Murray however is finished, he should retire for his fans, his health and himself.

Reactions: Chicot

·
King Of Tennis
3,731 Posts
They should retire but it's fun to see them get embarrassed so I almost hope they stick around a while yet.

·
24,264 Posts
I doubt Stan is retiring seeing he played a Challenger recently, I said this before. He's may be content to be a regular Top 20 player for the next year, and maybe upset top players once in a while like what Haas did in the 2013-2015 period. That being said would be interesting to see if he'll again reach a Slam SF. His bad patches also show up in the Bo5 so maybe he needs to do a significant change somewhere to still be somewhat feeling that change of another Slam, as unlikely as it can.

I doubt Murray is gonna retire too. I think he loves to play, and he recently freaking won a tournament! The hunger to play more is there, and maybe in 2021 he can aim to at least maybe get back to the Top 50. From what I saw there's glimpses of his clean strikes so while I do think Top 10 is very unlikely, he can still try to get titles.

·
Registered
656 Posts
This is not proven, though the last 2 times it was unfavorable conditions and against Federer and Nadal.
His best slams are AO and RG, at AO his recent results were not promising to say the least; at RG obviously big competition even till R4 and needs the other side of the draw from Nadal.
Too many ifs and I don't really see this happen anymore as he suffered 3 QF losses recently, 2 of those against Medvedev and Zverev whom he should have beaten if what you're claiming is still true, even against Federer on clay he should have won last year. He has become too inconsistent even in slams, even in latter stages, that's the truth.
True. He hasn't put himself in the position against the best recently. But I think most of the top 30 (bar the big 3) would of lost to Gaston the way he played. Its hard to motivate yourself against a 239 in the world, then he ends up playing like a top 5 player. Stan is a big match player. His peak level is high enough to win a slam imo, obviously its not proven but he isn't exactly Andy Murray declining

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
Murray isn’t going anywhere haters! On his day he is still as good as anyone out there.

2021 will be his year.

·
Registered
21,632 Posts
True. He hasn't put himself in the position against the best recently. But I think most of the top 30 (bar the big 3) would of lost to Gaston the way he played. Its hard to motivate yourself against a 239 in the world, then he ends up playing like a top 5 player. Stan is a big match player. His peak level is high enough to win a slam imo, obviously its not proven but he isn't exactly Andy Murray declining
Exactly, not that much declined.
He should come more boneheaded into R4-QF matches, because he lost quite a few recently.

·
24,264 Posts
Exactly, not that much declined.
He should come more boneheaded into R4-QF matches, because he lost quite a few recently.
Not sure if differences in definition by country, but "boneheaded" means "dumb" from what I know (and I think being a lot better in tactics especially when things aren't going well is what Stan needs the most now). :p

·
Registered
21,632 Posts
Not sure if differences in definition by country, but "boneheaded" means "dumb" from what I know (and I think being a lot better in tactics especially when things aren't going well is what Stan needs the most now). :p
I should have written bull-headed, you are right.

Reactions: zjtennis
1 - 20 of 20 Posts