Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Tennis Channel is showing the 1991 AO final...and I must say, Becker and Lendl's play was VERY impressive. Their strokes and all around net and baseline games are not that far off from today's power. And that was almost 17 years ago!!!:eek:

I think they will be repeating it at 10:00...so watch and learn why many feel that Roger and Rafa's competition does not stack up to the competition of the late 80's and early 90's.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
what a rivalry

Lendl was 11-10 but Boris owned him in the GS matches - 86 Wimbledon, 89 US Open and 91 AO finals and 2 more Wimbledon Semi Finals.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Now if only the tennis channel streamed video or was available in a basic dish package. sigh . . .

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I had never seen an entire Lendl match. The play from both was extremely impressive. Great, great match.

I loved Lendl's backhand passing shots. :drool:

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Lendl and Becker are both very good players, 6+ slam winners so of course they play great tennis.

·
Pacific Northwest Home
31,846 Posts
I had stoppd watching tennis by 1991 so last night's match was a real treat for me!! Haven't enjoyed watching a match on tv in such a long time. Aweome play and wow there were players who used their heads out there;)

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Note to fellow posters. If you watch the match again (if it is repeated), watch the trophy presentation. Lendl's acceptance speech may very well have been one of the most bizarre in the history of tennis. Rather than congratulate Boris, he thanked the SWEDISH fans for their support:eek::eek:...after saying the fans from Stockholm were lousy. And the Becker said one sentence, took the trophy, and left the podium....Hilariously bizarre.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Note to fellow posters. If you watch the match again (if it is repeated), watch the trophy presentation. Lendl's acceptance speech may very well have been one of the most bizarre in the history of tennis. Rather than congratulate Boris, he thanked the SWEDISH fans for their support:eek::eek:...after saying the fans from Stockholm were lousy. And the Becker said one sentence, took the trophy, and left the podium....Hilariously bizarre.
In other words... good old times.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I found Becker's shirt intersting. He had endorsements from Ford and other patches on his shirt. Reminded me of a race car. They were both great players and it was a great match, but many players of today's generation would do fine against them.

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
I found Becker's shirt intersting. He had endorsements from Ford and other patches on his shirt. Reminded me of a race car. They were both great players and it was a great match, but many players of today's generation would do fine against them.
There used to be a lot more of that in the old days i.e. the shirts being used as billboards.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but many players of today's generation would do fine against them.
Were we watching the same match? Most of the top 10 would REALLY struggle with these guys. Look at what they were doing with racquets and strings from 17 years ago!:eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts