Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 327 Posts

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Clearly we have seen that the coin toss is a crucial elements in modern tenis. Slam victories, maybe even careers are decided in the blink of an eye, no? Yes!

This beg several question:

-Why was a random process choosen to decide the winner in a game, it is supposed to be about tennis?
-Why is there not much expert talk, analysis, discussion and coaching on the art and psychology of the coin toss?
-What dirty tricks and games are going behind the curtains concerning the coin toss (loaded coins - two headed coins)?

and

-Most important: Why is the master brain behind modern tenis (Mr. Toni Nadal) unable to teach his disciple even the most basic things about the importante of the coin toss and to take the advantage of serving first?

And there is much more important questions concerning this issue.

The coin toss is underrented, no?

Discuss!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Re: Why is the coin toss so underrated?

Clearly we have seen that the coin toss is a crucial element in modern tennis. Slam victories, maybe even careers are decided in the blink of an eye.

This begs several questions:

-Why was a random process choosen to (potentially) decide the winner in a game that is supposed to be about ennis?
-Why is there not much expert talk, analysis, discussion and coaching on the art and psychology of the coin toss?
-What dirty tricks and games are going on behind the curtain concerning the coin toss (loaded coins, bribe etc...)?
-Last but not least: Why is the master brain behind modern tennis (Toni Nadal) unable to teach his disciple the most basic things about the importante of the coin toss and the advantage of serving first?

And there are more important questions concerning this issue.

Discuss!
Most elements in sports are discrete. You can't win 1.5 points, only 1 person serves at a time, you can't score 1.3 goals, a basket is 2 or 3 points, etc. As such the fairest way to determine the person who serves first is to use a random process such as a coin toss (assuming the coin is fair).

As for the last point. Nadal's style is all about defense and grinding. He's not a naturally aggressive player and he just moonballs over and over again until he wears an opponent down either by outlasting them physically or forcing them to try risky shots. So it's easy to understand why nadal never tries to take the advantage for himself, but rather tries to have his opponents lose their advantage

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

at least it's not underented. :lol:

·
Banned
10,179 Posts

good thread......just ask federina and other good servers about the importance of winning the toss and serving first......and this is one of the weakest servers we are talking about - nadal......

firstly you avoid those sudden death situations like 4-5, 5-6......that is you have a second chance if your serve is broken at 4-4 or 5-5......secondly the scoreboard pressure.......

nadal if you remember elected to serve a few times in 2010 and it payed off......he really surprised fed with his decision, i can't remember which event it was, probably madrid 2010......

my problem really with yesterday's final is, he was not 100% fit and for that reason at least he surely needed to be proactive and choose to stay ahead on the scoreboard......

i knew he would be totally frustrated by losing that first set from 4-5 30-0 and would blow up the second set with it too......

being a winner of 10 slams, he needed to think better than that and also know that djokovic hates losing the first set......

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

good thread......just ask federina and other good servers about the importance of winning the toss and serving first......and this is one of the weakest servers we are talking about - nadal......

firstly you avoid those sudden death situations like 4-5, 5-6......that is you have a second chance if your serve is broken at 4-4 or 5-5......secondly the scoreboard pressure.......

nadal if you remember elected to serve a few times in 2010 and it payed off......he really surprised fed with his decision, i can't remember which event it was, probably madrid 2010......

my problem really with yesterday's final is, he was not 100% fit and for that reason at least he surely needed to be proactive and choose to stay ahead on the scoreboard......

i knew he would be totally frustrated by losing that first set from 4-5 30-0 and would blow up the second set with it too......

being a winner of 10 slams, he needed to think better than that and also know that djokovic hates losing the first set......

I knew you would understand me.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts

I don`t think it`s important if u serve first or not at the start of the match.Only if the match goes to a 5th set,then it`s important to serve first.

·
Registered
71 Posts

for the life of me i cannot understand why on earth nadal chooses to receive when he has lost all 4 sets on clay getting broken when serving to stay in the set. yet he does the same in the wimbledon final and does the same shit in the very first set. what a fool.

gutless, spineless and cowardly.
not willing to take up a challenge.

i hope novak keeps beating him until he changes his bullshit superstitions.
i hope novak beats him 20 times in a row.

·
Premium Member
21,601 Posts

for the life of me i cannot understand why on earth nadal chooses to receive when he has lost all 4 sets on clay getting broken when serving to stay in the set. yet he does the same in the wimbledon final and does the same shit in the very first set. what a fool.
I'm too lazy to search the stats, but I think Novak played poor first service games a number of times... even when he beat Gulbis 6-1 6-0 this year, Gulbis had break point in the first game (didn't convert though).
If Nadal broke Novak in the first game, I bet everyone who complain here would think it was a genius move.

·
Registered
71 Posts

I'm too lazy to search the stats, but I think Novak played poor first service games a number of times... even when he beat Gulbis 6-1 6-0 this year, Gulbis had break point in the first game (didn't convert though).
If Nadal broke Novak in the first game, I bet everyone who complain here would think it was a genius move.
it shows nadal's negativity.

i never understand why u want to receive.
ur just putting pressure on urself.
even if u get broken serving first u have a chance to break back.

i bet novak loves this tactic nadal uses.

i will never support a spaniard ever again.

·
Premium Member
29,538 Posts

Underrented indeed.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts

Everyone knows on MTF if a player loses the toss or wins the toss, but loses the match it's classified as a choke.

Reactions: v-money and Orka_n

·
Registered
24,809 Posts

hating on nadal to the extremes, struggling like a clown to frame sentences in english and wasting life on internet......you are hardly even a nobody to talk about others' problems......
yeah, he has his own problems to deal with :p

·
Registered
20,717 Posts

hating on nadal to the extremes, struggling like a clown to frame sentences in english and wasting life on internet......you are hardly even a nobody to talk about others' problems......
that's why i am following nadal . listening him I feel more confident in my english skills

·
Premium Member
29,538 Posts

that's why i am following nadal . listening him I feel more confident in my english skills
:haha:

·
Banned
10,179 Posts

correct, keep listening to him......even with his average speaking ability, he speaks two sentences in one go and you struggle to understand that......

·
Registered
23,623 Posts

It's not random.

It's predetermined.

·
Registered
20,717 Posts

correct, keep listening to him......even with his average speaking ability, he speaks two sentences in one go and you struggle to understand that......
yeah, specially when was speaking with trainers during Delpo robbery . I was pretty disappointed, you would expect little more skills in own backyard

regardless on everything, always nice to see you mentioning my english skills . it's always the sign of your bottomness

·
Registered
9,432 Posts

There was the coin toss disaster, AND there was the truly fatal mistake of following Djokovic on to the court. You just can't do that kind of thing at this level. I mean, what kind of message does it send out? I'm too scared to walk in front of you in case you ass-**** me again? You can't show fear like that. Cost him the title.

1 - 20 of 327 Posts