Mens Tennis Forums banner

What is your religion/worldview?

341 - 360 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
13,091 Posts
I used to be kardecist, a ramification of christianism who believed in reincarnation, roughly 3 million brazilians.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Athiest who thinks that religion is on net a force for good in the world.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Catholic who thinks the church is completely lost

·
Registered
70,519 Posts
atheist only at 45%, shocking result for me

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I am a Christian. I love reading the Bible, studying it. I have the app "SermonAudio" that I listen to many sermons thru the week. I pray quite often. My favorite books of the Bible are mostly in the Old Testament. Ruth, Daniel, Esther, Job. I would not say I have a zeal for spreading the Word or trying to convert non-believers. It doesn't concern me what anyone else believes. I am though, quite inspired by those that do missionary work. Even moreso for some Christian Martyrs, centuries ago, who were burned at the stake for refusing to take back their beliefs. I doubt I'd have that willpower to know you were going to be burned to death, to die the most agonizing of death, and yet still not recant. Reminds me of the 3 Hebrews in Daniel who say to the King "we won't worship your idol o King. Throw us in the fire, do what you will. But we won't. Our God is able to deliver us from the fire, but even if he doesn't, we still won't bow to your idol".

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I am a Christian. I love reading the Bible, studying it. I have the app "SermonAudio" that I listen to many sermons thru the week. I pray quite often. My favorite books of the Bible are mostly in the Old Testament. Ruth, Daniel, Esther, Job. I would not say I have a zeal for spreading the Word or trying to convert non-believers. It doesn't concern me what anyone else believes. I am though, quite inspired by those that do missionary work. Even moreso for some Christian Martyrs, centuries ago, who were burned at the stake for refusing to take back their beliefs. I doubt I'd have that willpower to know you were going to be burned to death, to die the most agonizing of death, and yet still not recant. Reminds me of the 3 Hebrews in Daniel who say to the King "we won't worship your idol o King. Throw us in the fire, do what you will. But we won't. Our God is able to deliver us from the fire, but even if he doesn't, we still won't bow to your idol".
Thankd for sharing!

Studying the Bible is awesome, but often neglected. For Christians it is the ispired word of God which is alive and 'sharper than any two edged sward!'.

As for the sharing of the Gospel, if you are a Bible believing Christian it is something that Jesus' comands 'Go throughout the whole world and preach the gospel to all mankind' Mark 16:15; 'Go, then, to all peoples everywhere and make them my disciples: baptize them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, annd teach them to obey everything I have commanded you.' Matthew 28:19

His own disciples modelled this and Peter said: 'Be ready at all times to answer anyone who asks you to expalin the hope you have in you, but do it with gentleness and respect'.

I think many of us are not comfortable sharing our faith, becasue we don't want to get into arguments or push others away. I see it as Jesus explained it with the parable of the sower - our job, like Peter says is to simply share the good news (Gospel) that give us hope of eternal life and God is the one who saves, or converts the heart. We can share our hope, but do not need to argue back and forth or feel defeated if someone does not believe or thinks differently - it isn't our job to convert, but to share. We are to be 'salt and light' in this world giving hope to the perishing. There are times where debate is good, as in the area of apologetics or moral and philosophical questions of the day, but you cannot argue someone to salvation - and we must be careful not to do more harm than good.

Anyway, just a few thoughts that came to mind reading your post.

If you like the book of Daniel, you should also read it in conjunction with Revelation - they kind of go together. Some very interesting and important insight especially in the times we are living in now!

·
Administrator | Wikidrawbot
9,654 Posts
His own disciples modelled this and Peter said: 'Be ready at all times to answer anyone who asks you to expalin the hope you have in you, but do it with gentleness and respect'.
Peter 3,15. It is the most important verse for me as fundamental-theologian. However, I totally agree with you with the word 'conversion', since you have to answer but not force people when they ask you. But after all it's the Holy Spirit who can change people's hearts which is what every Christian believes in. No automatism, but liberation since we don't believe in a mechanic or robotic Deus ex Machina.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I certainly agree with what the Bible says about proclaiming the Gospel. I’d admit to being a rather selfish lazy Christian, in that I’m fully content with having my own relationship with Christ, but at the same time not having any urge to invest the time in sharing my beliefs with others. It’s not for fear of offending them, but I think it’s bc I lack empathy I suppose. I believe I’m saved. And that’s all that matters to me. I pay no thought to anyone else, so it’s quite selfish really. There’s these preachers who feel like they must share the gospel with someone new everyday, and here I am perfectly comfortable to sit in my closet and talk with God, and have God be my own personal God, and have no desire to share Him with anyone else.

But getting back to some of the Books that i love, I really believe a Philosophy course could be taught directly from the book of Job. There’s such deep issues delved into but I’m really intrigued by Job 7. I find his soliloquy so authentic when he talks about what’s it matter to God that humans sin? Job 7:20 “If I sin, what do I do to you, you watcher of humanity”? Really deep philosophical questions.

And then Ruth is probably my favorite Book of the Bible. I just love every detail about it. 3 widowed women. The grief, the pain, the regret, the hopelessness, and then the redemptive power of God. Ruth, the outsider, leaving behind her people and her gods to follow her mother n law Naomi back to Israel. How God can use anyone, anyone, a pagan worshiping widowed Moabite woman and put her directly in the line of David and then Jesus, an example for how no one is too hopeless for God. That God can reach anyone no matter how dire the situation appears. And the love and kindness Boaz shows Ruth, an example for how all men should treat women. If a non-believer asked me for one verse or Bible book, first I’d quote “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved”. Then the second I’d point them to Ruth. The gospel is seen here. And it’s only 4 chapters so anyone can read it quickly.

I do find myself listening to mostly Scottish preachers online. I’d recommend Alistair Begg who has a website truthforlife.org. He’s a phenomenal speaker.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I certainly agree with what the Bible says about proclaiming the Gospel. I’d admit to being a rather selfish lazy Christian, in that I’m fully content with having my own relationship with Christ, but at the same time not having any urge to invest the time in sharing my beliefs with others. It’s not for fear of offending them, but I think it’s bc I lack empathy I suppose. I believe I’m saved. And that’s all that matters to me. I pay no thought to anyone else, so it’s quite selfish really. There’s these preachers who feel like they must share the gospel with someone new everyday, and here I am perfectly comfortable to sit in my closet and talk with God, and have God be my own personal God, and have no desire to share Him with anyone else.

But getting back to some of the Books that i love, I really believe a Philosophy course could be taught directly from the book of Job. There’s such deep issues delved into but I’m really intrigued by Job 7. I find his soliloquy so authentic when he talks about what’s it matter to God that humans sin? Job 7:20 “If I sin, what do I do to you, you watcher of humanity”? Really deep philosophical questions.

And then Ruth is probably my favorite Book of the Bible. I just love every detail about it. 3 widowed women. The grief, the pain, the regret, the hopelessness, and then the redemptive power of God. Ruth, the outsider, leaving behind her people and her gods to follow her mother n law Naomi back to Israel. How God can use anyone, anyone, a pagan worshiping widowed Moabite woman and put her directly in the line of David and then Jesus, an example for how no one is too hopeless for God. That God can reach anyone no matter how dire the situation appears. And the love and kindness Boaz shows Ruth, an example for how all men should treat women. If a non-believer asked me for one verse or Bible book, first I’d quote “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved”. Then the second I’d point them to Ruth. The gospel is seen here. And it’s only 4 chapters so anyone can read it quickly.

I do find myself listening to mostly Scottish preachers online. I’d recommend Alistair Begg who has a website truthforlife.org. He’s a phenomenal speaker.
Yes! Job is a fantasitic book and covers the 'problem of pain/evil' in such a deep complex way - it gets to the heart of the very deepest existential questions of humanity.

Alistair Begg is awesome! Although I would suggest that he may have a different opinion on the call to evangilism. Paul told us that we 'have the mind of Christ' I Cor 2:16, that we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit. Jesus himself said that he 'came to seek and to save the lost'. Naturally we look out for our own interests, but followers of Christ become 'fishers of men' and are saved for 'good works'. This is a challenge for me, as I find myself persuing my own interests more that those of Christ and the Gospel. I commend you on your study of the Word and spending time with God - a very important scriptual principle and one that I often short-change. As you grow in the word and light I believe it will compel us to Gospel action - even if it is primarily the way we live and forgive!

I am intrigued to go back a read through Ruth again myself - thanks for the suggestion, and I am challenged to think a little more about sowing the word and sharing hope with a perishing world.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #352 ·

Open preaching is difficult and not everyone can muster up the courage to do it. But there are some simpler ways. Sometimes I will invite people to church especially when they have a special apologetics series. And of course the underrated behaviour setting by way of how you conduct yourself. Ruth is a very "humble" book. Astonishing for its time and relevance in view of the entire Bible. The main characters very likeable and relatable.

A foreshadowing of things to come. My favourite book of Old Testament would be Haggai
and of New Testament Acts. Haggai is about God's grace in building something spectacular out of a ruined people. Very rich in symbolism too.

You could also very well do a philosophy course on Ecclesiastes - some really timeless revelations within about our
purpose and the mysteries of life.

You might like The Bible Project, some really simple but engaging videos that summarise books and themes. These are among my favourites from that channel.

And demystifying tricky books like Leviticus:

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Atheist, even when the plane starts shaking. Still, I know many people who got that extra strength, extra confidence and stamina to keep doing what they're doing and succeed...because of their religion. So I'm not gonna say anything negative about the regular believer.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Atheist, even when the plane starts shaking. Still, I know many people who got that extra strength, extra confidence and stamina to keep doing what they're doing and succeed...because of their religion. So I'm not gonna say anything negative about the regular believer.
I'm not so sure that all the bad perpetrated in the name of religion doesn’t outweigh all the good.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I'm not so sure that all the bad perpetrated in the name of religion doesn’t outweigh all the good.
Well, that's a long discussion and most likely, on a global level, the bad would be more than the good overall. But on an everyday, personal level, I would say religion brings more good than bad.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Well, that's a long discussion and most likely, on a global level, the bad would be more than the good overall. But on an everyday, personal level, I would say religion brings more good than bad.
In my experience, while some people who find God (their version of it anyway) do seem to live better lives, the majority do not. They become increasingly judgmental, more derisive of other religions and more likely to try and shove their beliefs down everyone else’s throat.

Some Xtians are particularly obnoxious in this regard, with their crusading philosophy: “If you don’t believe what we believe you’re wrong and going to hell. So it’s our sacred duty to convert you.” Not a great way to promote peace, tolerance and understanding in the world, but a great one to promote strife, divisiveness and war.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
All religions are a mix of truthful information, fantasies and things that are clearly dictated by the social traits of time a religion was born and therefore presenting some historical interest, but not much theological.
If you take mainstream religions and modern science, I just marvel at how easily Bostrom's trilemma reconciles the basics of all of that.
I find that really hard to argue.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I'm an atheist who is very happy to live in a time where religion slowly loses it's power. It hasn't done any good for mankind.

Look at this beautiful stat (yellow is atheism):

341 - 360 of 374 Posts