Mens Tennis Forums banner

What is your religion/worldview?

• Total voters
301 - 306 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Define "far right" and please explain how much of the religious terrorism out there is "far right".
It's the "militaristic" interpretation of religios texts taken without proper background or context of revelation to push one's political or any other agenda. I dare not to talk about other people's faiths, for I am not theologian or sociologist, or even my own without proper research. But let me use leyman's examples here. There are indeed Qur'an verses that about killing your enemies, and that seems harsh. But let's look someplace else, there are verses about being gentle to women, being just, always telling the truth... so it's a system that covers all the aspects of human life. War isn't something that doesn't happen, it's not encouraged, it's said even never to seek confrontation, but in the event of it, of course that you are going to be fierce in fight, you aren't letting someone walk all over you. So yes, war happens, and you are to show your teeth if your existence is endangered. Certain entities are using things like this to promote violence and killing of others, even of their own faith if they don't match their militaristic views. Take ISIS, most of their victims were Muslims that didn't share their views. For further explanation I suggest you check what scholars have to say about, I am not well versed in citing and interpreting sources, and also I don't want to make this a ideological battle.

Thanks for asking, I hope I did shed SOME light at least.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
It's strange how in a few months, my views have changed from what I posted in the first few pages of this thread. I still believe, in fact I probably take it more seriously but I still have unanswered questions; more specifically, I've realized that I'm never going to be fully satisfied with the answers that I get from both sides.

So I continue to believe due to a combination of (imperfect?) logic and emotion; I still pray , attend service, I try to follow the tenets of my faith but I try not to think too much about existential stuff. That last part is becoming hard to do.

I do respect other beliefs or lack there of. They let me be, I let them be.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
It's the "militaristic" interpretation of religios texts taken without proper background or context of revelation to push one's political or any other agenda. I dare not to talk about other people's faiths, for I am not theologian or sociologist, or even my own without proper research. But let me use leyman's examples here. There are indeed Qur'an verses that about killing your enemies, and that seems harsh. But let's look someplace else, there are verses about being gentle to women, being just, always telling the truth... so it's a system that covers all the aspects of human life. War isn't something that doesn't happen, it's not encouraged, it's said even never to seek confrontation, but in the event of it, of course that you are going to be fierce in fight, you aren't letting someone walk all over you. So yes, war happens, and you are to show your teeth if your existence is endangered. Certain entities are using things like this to promote violence and killing of others, even of their own faith if they don't match their militaristic views. Take ISIS, most of their victims were Muslims that didn't share their views. For further explanation I suggest you check what scholars have to say about, I am not well versed in citing and interpreting sources, and also I don't want to make this a ideological battle.

Thank you, you shed a lot of light. One question: is that notion of what constitutes religious 'far right' common in the muslim world or is it mainly your own interpretation?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Thank you, you shed a lot of light. One question: is that notion of what constitutes religious 'far right' common in the muslim world or is it mainly your own interpretation?
Of course it isy common, and it has roots since the 7th century. There is a term "Khawarij" and ISIS is only the most recent manifestation of that teaching. Those are people who have no knowledge whatsoever, and they don't accept any authority but themselves. It's basically a sect. They even killed a rightful ruler at that time. All islamic scholars through time have stongly advised against such teachings and behaviours, but today that voice isn't heard because for some political agendas it's better to take these outlaws as a representation of faith that has more than a billion followers. Ridiculous really.

I am glad my word salad was helpful. Cheers.

·
6,188 Posts

It is true ISIS did persecute other Muslim faiths, but that was mainly due to their numbers.
Any Christians and other religions, eg the Yazidis, were met with a terrible fate at the hands of ISIS.
But on the subject of right wing extremism, it certainly exists in most western societies, but is generally underground and not that visible to most conservative citizens.

301 - 306 of 306 Posts