Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Worst Season Ever

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
10,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just going to leave this youtube link here before I even post.

I'm not a youttube person but, I'm not even going to Endless Loop this video.

Just brilliantly done.

So the question stands. On a pure TESTOSTERONE level and brilliance level , how would you rate Federer 2017?

The man was 35 at the time, coming off of knee surgery. Really had been playing 3rd or second wheel since 2012 and looked to be done and dusted...

He went on to have a brilliant year , beating Nadal, winning 3 masters , overcoming countless younger opponents , reinventing his game, regaining #1 !!, and looking like the best old tennis player in the history of the game. Look he skipped clay, lost to a motivated Del Potro after dancing at a famous concert and faltered at the end of the year... but what a showing from Federer...

My question to MTF , whether you are a Djokovic, Nadal, Federer , Murray, etc. fan. How do you rate Federer 2017?

Can do a simple 1-10 rating and give explanation. Or you can refuse and just vote in poll and let this thread end up on Page 3 in six hours.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think a 5. He showed manliness for the first time in his life against Nadal. That should be commended. However, he then skipped the clay - avoiding Nadal at his favourite surface, essentially saying he was still afraid of Nadal, ergo not manly. Had he played the clay, I would have given him a higher score.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Rogie started off the year on fire mostly (won AO, IW, and Miami, but had the shock losses to Donskoy at Dubai and Haas at Stuttgart), then he won Halle and W, then he struggled some with the Montreal horrible F loss to Zveerev withdrew from Cincinnati, the USO QF loss to Del Potro, then he won Shanghai and Basel, unfortunately withdrew from Paris, and lost to Goffin in the WTF SF... Overall a great year, 2 grand slams, 3 Masters Series, and 2 500 events won, but some of the losses and downs were disappointing (injured at end of Montreal, missed Cincinnati, didn't play Paris, losing to guys like Donskoy, Haas, Zverev, and of all people Goffin, I can kind of accept the Del Potro loss)... I'm elated he wons GSs #18 and #19, beat arch rival Rafa 4 times (AO F, IW 4th round or was it 3rd round, Miami F, and Shanghai F), went 54-5 overall, won 7 titles, came back well!! With all that said I gave him an 8 out of 10!! For 9-10 he'd have needed to win some on clay and have won 1-3 more titles in 2017!!

·
10,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think a 5. He showed manliness for the first time in his life against Nadal. That should be commended. However, he then skipped the clay - avoiding Nadal at his favourite surface, essentially saying he was still afraid of Nadal, ergo not manly. Had he played the clay, I would have given him a higher score.
That's pretty terrible. I think he deserves much higher than that. Nadal is only one player that he beat that year.

What about him owning all these other players and making them look like the 35 year old and him the 21 year old young gun?

·
10,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For me its a solid 9/10 year , look he was going to lose some matches and probably not be invincible , but his overall level and play was just the best it was since 2012.

Playing out of his mind in some tournaments and looking like the clear favorite for almost every tournament he entered.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
If he was in his prime, I’d give it a 6/10 as he won slams but flunked out in other big tournaments he was easily set up to win. However, as he was 35 and came back from 6 months of injury, I give it a 9/10 as a 35 year old being able to do this is nothing short of remarkable.

·
Registered
498 Posts
That's pretty terrible. I think he deserves much higher than that.
It's an average score, and it's the most I can give him. Because there is nothing manly about skipping a slam and an entire surface, unless one is injured or incapacitated. Slams are the holy grail of the sport. A real man does not skip slams. A real man would have tried to have won, and if not, taken those losses like a man. I was hesitant to give him a 5, believe me. I wanted to go lower. However, he did show something before the clay season that he had never shown before against Nadal: balls. That deserves recognition and commendation.

·
Registered
225 Posts
9/10 without a doubt.
In addition to the feats of arms recalled in the initial post at his age and after 6 months of absence.
Wins the AO by beating 4 seed (Berdych, Nishikori, Wawrinka and Nadal, Fed is seed 17), March sunshine, then that he had not won Miami (nor played a final) since ... 2006, 11 years.
Optional, beat Nadal 3 times who progresses to a very high level in the 1st quarter on hard, final AO, Acapulco, Miami .. only beaten by..Federer at Indian Wells

Rest logically during the clay season to win Halle and especially Wimbledon.

I do not blame him for his failure in the US Open of course, since he is unfortunately injured in the Montreal final and is down for Cincy.
Despite this he erases everyone in Shanghai (and Basel) to put a 4-0 to Nadal who is Nr 1 since the summer and will be YE1.
Nadal who has just won the US Open in the summer and Beijing on hard just before Shanghai where Fed sticks to him 6-4 6-3.

In this context, without his failure at Masters vs Goffin, it would undoubtedly be a 10/10.

note: the conquest of the oldest number one is at Rotterdam 2018 with its semi-final, a logical result of its 2017 performance and his victory defending title at the Australian Open 2018.

No doubt, a historic Odyssey that will take on relief with the passage of time.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Note also, the smooth recovery in Hopman Cup 2017 without pressure, in a happy competition with Bencic who launched on good bases of confidence on his level of play ... and which will be renewed in 2018-2019.

Not playing Brisbane where he has 150 pts final 2016 makes him lose one seed from 16 to 17 in AO ...

·
Registered
21,286 Posts
9/10 solely on the fact that he was 35 and came back from a 6 months lay off. To turn around the rivalry with his biggest nemesis is nothing short of extraordinary. Hope he can do the same with Djokovic

·
Registered
13,454 Posts
Federer's level that season wasn't particularly good by his standards. His success in 2017 was largely because it was one of the weakest years in tennis history. It got so bad and there were so many injuries (Djokovic, Murray, Wawrinka, Raonic, Nishikori, etc) among the top players that Jack Sock won a Masters and Grigor Dimitrov won the WTF.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I gave it a 10/10 (surprised I was the only one). Almost deducted a point for skipping the clay season, and I know 2017 was kind of weak from a competition point of view, but in the end his performance was brilliant for his age.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts