Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just remembering some guys who said that Taylor has got nothing but a huge serve. They said the same about Andy as well. Well, Taylor broke Andy 3 (?) times during the match on a fairly fast indoor court & won his 2nd career title 6-1 6-4.

I know it's not a big tourny, but Taylor is slowly evolving into another young promising American. Well, he always was, but i hope that he will finally get some very well deserved attention.

Go Taylor! :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Well, what Taylor has got is the ability to smack serves down into the box just as hard as Roddick, and to scrape the opponent's serve back into play and hustle for a break at the right times; that's all you need to beat old Andy.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'm glad Taylor won, now I can rub it in my little sister's face that Andy lost......haha!

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
Seriously though, I imagine on his service games Dent simply beat Roddick at his own game and served bombs straight past him, but it would have been interesting to see what tactics he used on the returns... even when Roddick is playing badly, rarely do you see him lose a set 6-1.

I'm willing to bet that Dent used the same aggressive, net-rushing, chip-and-charge tactics that he did against Blake in the Newport final, and on these kinds of fast surfaces against young and relatively inexperienced opponents who aren't used to facing attacking players, it can definitely pay dividends.

·
Registered
370 Posts
He was maybe standing 3 feet behind the baseline to receive serve. Haas does that v successfull against Roddick

·
Registered
11,359 Posts
3 feet behind the baseline? Hmm... it's widely acknowledged that the better returners are the people who stand in so they can cut down the angles and take a shorter swing at the ball, but it does seem to work well for Haas and now Dent. I suppose it's more evidence that Roddick doesn't place his serve intelligently enough; if he were to work more on placement and hit the serve out wide consistently, I'll bet people would struggle to return it with the kick that it has.

·
Registered
10,038 Posts
You know, you don't have to keep posting threads in GM every time there's a new development.

I'm sure if anybody wanted to know the score of the Memphis final that badly they could just as easily click into the Memphis forum.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I hear he's trying to slim down--so it's hard work rewarded!

P.S.--Roddick's the world number 7...

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
yeah he's still #6, and WTF is up with you people saying that Andy sucks and blah blah blah. yeah Taylor killed him and Andy admitted it. he said that he got destroyed by Taylor, but i mean Andy did great considering this was his first tournament back since his injury at the Australian open. why odn't you start making fun of Marat Safin who, i think, didnt even make the quarters of his even which was his 1st tournie since OZ. geez cut Roddick some slack. he even said that he wasn't playing his best and that he was waiting for someone to get their game up and he said that Taylor did that. Andy said that he was really luvky to be in the finals. and oh yeah, people do lose to other tennis players, just thouth i'd let you know.

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Marat Safin lost to Yevgeny Kafelnikov on an indoor court. Roddick lost to Dent on an indoor court. Dent and Kafelnikov are by no means the same class of opponent, even if Kafel is half the player he used to be.

Marat Safin might also be requiring surgery in the near future, so I suggest that you fish for a better example.. :)

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
geez Rebecca, stop the f***in bashing all the time. i mean seriously, why are you laughing and pointing the finger in Roddick's direction every time he loses????????? i mena he's better than you, and will always be better than you. he already achieved more than you'll ever achieve in your whole entire life. god give it a rest. if you dont have something nice to say, then dont say anything at all. i dont mind that you say the winner destroyed or killed their oponents, because it is true Taylor totally killed Andy, but don't say that the loser sucks. acknowledge the winner and congratulate him but dont put down the loser. i mean why dont you start making fun of the players who lost first round. why dont you make fun of Philipousis who lost to Fish who's well outside the top 50. why dont you make fun of Paradorn while your at it. heck throw in James Blake and Tod MArtin, geez lets face it, people lose to other people, sometimes ranked higher sometimes lower. i mean just look at Capriati who bombed big time in the 1st round to Weingartner who was ranked outside the top 100. just stop making fun. if he lost, yeah you can say he lost but leave it at that. Roddick doesnt suck because at the moment he is better than like 96% of the whole entire ATP tour ok, so ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

·
Registered
28,276 Posts
Roddick has accomplished more than I ever will in my entire life? That's arguable. You don't know me, and have no idea what I have done with my life, or what I am capable of. I happen to think that I'm more formally educated than Roddick will ever be. Although he more than likely has more money than I ever will, more money doesn't always equal "better" and "more accomplished". He just happens to be in a slightly more lucrative business than I will be. Moving away from your rather lame rant...

Where did I "bash" Roddick? And no, making fun of his lame visor does not count. I make fun of everybodies faux pas, and will continue to do so until the end of time. I even make fun of Ferrero's faux pas, who I am quite clearly a fan of. I suppose by your definition that I'm also a Ferrero "basher"?

Also, where did I say that the loser "sucks"?

You have somehow, inexusabley, interpretted an explantion of why people haven't been ragging on Marat this week as me "bashing" Roddick. How in the world any reasonable individual could come to such a conclusion, is beyond me.

You seem to be creating messages that I never wrote, AND responding to them. :confused:

Quotes?

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
Naldo said:
he even said that he wasn't playing his best and that he was waiting for someone to get their game up and he said that Taylor did that. Andy said that he was really luvky to be in the finals.
He said that :rolleyes: ? So he means he's not 100% but still none except Dent was able to beat him, or is he trying to emphasize that he can still beat everyone even though he's not at his best? Very humble Pandy. But look at the field in Memphis, I won't say its a huge accomplishment. I wonder why he isn't going to Scottdale, where the Top players like Agassi and Hewitt will be playing.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts