• FAA in 2

Votes: 39 60.9%
  • FAA in 3

Votes: 10 15.6%
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
So, while Djokovic, Federer and Nadal are battling for GOAT status, Murray is battling with Massú for Olympic GOATness. That's quite telling. That's why britons will always be a laughing stock when it comes to sport. Remember Euro 2021? "It's coming home!". Oh dear, what an embarassment.
Probably the most asinine comment ever on MTF and that's saying something. Murray is already Olympic men's singles GOAT. He won the most important one more than anyone in the sport. There is nothing higher in a sport than Olympic gold. In singles tennis Olympic singles gold. His straight setting of Wawrinka, Djokovic and Federer is the stuff of legend. You obviously don't understand the song "Three Lions" so I'll let my fellow Brits enjoy the laughs and leave you in splendid ignorance.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Tough shit. Murray had the harder semi final opponent (on paper anyway) and managed to win comfortably.

However you try and dress it up, the best player won the tournament.
They cannot find a way round the obvious point that Delpo played the same match and beat Djokovic in the bronze medal match; whereas Federer was crushed by Murray.

Reactions: MuzzahLovah

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Well... Federer had a very physical match with Delpo in 2012. That last set alone was like 2 and half hours. And playing Delpo is a boxing match. If Federer was a bit fresher.. given his form in 2012 and also that Wimbledon etc.. it would really have been his gold medal time.. well.. like in many cases, Federer gives himself opportunities. a lot of times.. only to be losing them.. A 4 and half hour match... a day before for a 31 year old VS a 6 years younger opponent who played against him in finals of Wimbledon.. yeah.. that was tough.
Yes it is after this match that CIO decides to put a tie break for the 3rd set.

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
FAA is the kind of player Murray used to eat up when he was in his prime. He is very much not in his prime and looks essentially to be on his last legs.

FAA in 2.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
They cannot find a way round the obvious point that Delpo played the same match and beat Djokovic in the bronze medal match; whereas Federer was crushed by Murray.
Even more obvious point was.. Nobody said Federer was not even moving or walking around. It is the relative levels that is very obvious to common sense. And yes: Delpo was 24 year old at that time.. and playing his best tennis, which had he continued he would have won more majors and be in big three or 4 or 5 membership then also. Fed 31 or 32, 7 years older. So, if you really want to compare apples to apples all factors need to be considered. A peak Delpo peaks peak Novak, that is what we can prove from that :D.
Look, Federer would have still beaten by an inspired Murray who knows.. but knowing both their games and how Fed can play on grass in form... Fed getting crushed was more about his movement hampered than anything else. Now, fair is fair. Murray played and won.. fine he deserves medal. But it is okay to acknowledge that was not the 2012's 100% Federer.. but it was 2012's 100% Murray.
A 24 year old Murray would physically be at higher level than 32 year old Murray.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Even more obvious point was.. Nobody said Federer was not even moving or walking around. It is the relative levels that is very obvious to common sense. And yes: Delpo was 24 year old at that time.. and playing his best tennis, which had he continued he would have won more majors and be in big three or 4 or 5 membership then also. Fed 31 or 32, 7 years older. So, if you really want to compare apples to apples all factors need to be considered. A peak Delpo peaks peak Novak, that is what we can prove from that :D.
Look, Federer would have still beaten by an inspired Murray who knows.. but knowing both their games and how Fed can play on grass in form... Fed getting crushed was more about his movement hampered than anything else. Now, fair is fair. Murray played and won.. fine he deserves medal. But it is okay to acknowledge that was not the 2012's 100% Federer.. but it was 2012's 100% Murray.
A 24 year old Murray would physically be at higher level than 32 year old Murray.
There is another even more obvious point to make. Murray had the harder draw facing Stan and Djokovic before the final. If Fed came into the match not 100% that was on him as it was much more likely Murray would be the one not arriving to the final at 100%. Before that tournament Delpo had no grass resume worth writing home about - losing to Ferrer in the 4th round of Wimbledon 2012 in straights. Fed had a dream draw to the Olympics 2012 final with no competition until the semis. He played a poor semi and final.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Tough match for Andy in the first round. Strong servers like FAA can win many free points and make life difficult for Andy.

FAA will likely win this one, but voting for Andy since I want him to win.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Murray played tired Federer and tired Del Potro for both his gold medals.

He had rather lucky circumstances. What Massu did is probably tougher.
The other way too look at it is that Murray finished off his semi-final opponents in straight sets which kept him fresh. One of them being Novak Djokovic.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts

... Federer had no one to blame but himself when (from memory) he was broken when he served for the match at 11-10.

Once again whilst serving for it he fucks it up and then found himself on the court for around 60-90 minutes longer.

Once he got broken he pissed away that Gold Medal and remember thinking that at the time which then caused him to play over 4 hours.

And speaking of Murray,if he gets by Felix here he'll equal Fed's tally of 13 for most wins at the Olympics.. 2 wins for Murray to be outright leader would be a great addendum to his other Olympic feats but even if he does that and loses soon enough and Novak wins the lot he himself will be the all time match wins @ the Olympics leader.

·
Super Moderator
22,683 Posts
Well Federer shouldn't have lost that easily it's true but Del Potro was on the ropes and had a tough week overall in a year where he was coming back from injury...
Well Federer played the longest 3 set ever match so he was bound to even be more tired than Del Potro I’d say. For Del Potro mostly due to injuries I guess you could argue he was more tired.

·
Registered
8,392 Posts
Murray led 2-1 after three sets, so the format had no impact on the result.
It's all mental, knowing you need to win one more set as opposed to two is totally different. Though it must be said Del Potro isn't one to easily give up.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Did i read somewhere that the olympics tennis courts are slow? i think Murray has a chance. FAA has turned out to be a little disappointing.. he lacks consistency... i'm not sure what's missing in his game, outside of a tennis mind. I hear he is a classically trained pianist? is it hard for him to break out of that calm mind to a more fierce player. I don't know he seems like a gentle guy out there. As big as he is, i always find that he has no court presence. I remember when he used to beat up Tsitsipas, suddenly he cannot beat Tsitsipas... he had the upper hand on him, I was shocked, but then Tsitsipas got better, improved his all around game.

·
Registered
22,849 Posts
Truly awful first round match up, but hoping Andy can produce some magic!

·
Registered
757 Posts
So, while Djokovic, Federer and Nadal are battling for GOAT status, Murray is battling with Massú for Olympic GOATness. That's quite telling. That's why britons will always be a laughing stock when it comes to sport. Remember Euro 2021? "It's coming home!". Oh dear, what an embarassment.
Hardly a laughing stock. The brits are one of the strongest sporting nations in the world and are regularly topping the tables in sport. They came second in the last Olympics, ahead of China and Russia which are much larger countries.

You're probably misinterpreting the 'footballs coming home' song. It's meant to be ironic as the English are well aware their football record is awful.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
This is the first round, so FAA in 2 probably.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts