271 Posts
Djokovic's path to Olympic Gold:

R1: Dellien
R2: Struff
R3: Fokina/Millman/Musetti
QF: Rublev/Monfils/Nishikori
SF: Zverev/Karatsev/Hurkacz/Fucsovics
F: Medvedev/Tsitsipas
Novak needs to be on his Game. I hope he will! Musetti Bo3 can be tough!

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Relatively tough draw for Novak given how many withdraws there were from the Olympics. Definitely he will need to bring a solid level if he wants to win. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. I don't mind if he ends up losing, but we have here a real good chance to win this unique event. It would be another feather in the cap for Djokovic.

·
Registered
779 Posts
You play Olympics for your country and win gold medal. That is the significance, representing your country.
Of course, there is nothing to gain if one has brain like countless journeymen who prefer to play Mickey Mouse tournaments instead of Olympics
The Olympics has always been important to the top players and almost every great has talked about how important/special it is, including Novak. He is only saying this because Novak hasn’t won it.

·
|
16,474 Posts
Relatively tough draw for Novak given how many withdraws there were from the Olympics. Definitely he will need to bring a solid level if he wants to win. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. I don't mind if he ends up losing, but we have here a real good chance to win this unique event. It would be another feather in the cap for Djokovic.
Plus Djokovic has cried twice on the court after Olympic losses, so nothing hurts him more than losing the Olympics.

·
|
16,474 Posts
Anybody who gets to play Tsitsipas has won the lottery, because he's probably GONE mentally for the next few months.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
From wiki: "The competition is a single-elimination tournament with a bronze medal match. Matches are best-of-3 sets. "

Isn't final b05?

·
Premium Member
Stan Wawrinka
4,454 Posts
Has anyone found a PDF or another picture of the draw?

I don't like the way they show draws on the official site.

·
|
16,474 Posts
From wiki: "The competition is a single-elimination tournament with a bronze medal match. Matches are best-of-3 sets. "

Isn't final b05?
Maybe not anymore.
So that means whoever wins Gold this year will be inferior to Nadal's 2008 Gold.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts

Isn't final b05?
All matches have been changed to BO3

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think the fact that it's now BO3 for finals helps the younger guys slightly. Djokovic is far from certain to win here. In fact, if you offered me Djokovic vs the field, I'd 100% take the field here.

·
Registered
Max Purcell
2,333 Posts

They played together in the past, many years ago

Reactions: Saraya!

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Francisco Cerundolo

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I bit bummed to see Murray take on FAA in the first round. I didn't have high hopes of Murray getting to a medal anyway but it will be sore for him to be sent away in the first round. His doubles draw isn't great either, against Herbert.

Always feels unfair when you have Murray v FAA, Rublev v Nishikori, etc. and on the other hand you have Broady v Cerundolo and Nagal v Istomin.

Other interesting first round matches:

Karatsev v Paul
Fucsovics v Hurkacz
Kwon v Tiafoe
Musetti v Millman
Bublik v Medvedev

61 - 80 of 183 Posts