Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many tennis players don't care about Olympics (even if Massù, Rossett, Nadal and Murray did). For instance Thiem will skip Tokyo 2020 cuz he thinks Kitzbuhel ATP 250 is more important.

In your opinioni, the Olympic tennis tournament is:

A) as importanti as ATP 1000
B) as important as ATP 500
C) as important as ATP 250
D) Not important at all
E) None of the above

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Olympics > slam easily.

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
I'm with Thiem on this one...Kitzbuhel > OG

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Many tennis players don't care about Olympics (even if Massù, Rossett, Nadal and Murray did). For instance Thiem will skip Tokyo 2020 cuz he thinks Kitzbuhel ATP 250 is more important.

In your opinioni, the Olympic tennis tournament is:

A) as importanti as ATP 1000
B) as important as ATP 500
C) as important as ATP 250
D) Not important at all
E) None of the above
There is no point in bringing up players of previous eras. In the current Big 3 era, Federer, Rafa, Djokovic, Murray, del Potro, etc. placed importance on Olympics and played at Olympics whenever they can, except for their injuries. For instance, Rafa skipped 2012 London (and also USO'12) and Federer skipped 2016 Rio (and also USO'16) due to injuries. Federer, Rafa, Djokovic, Murray were flag bearers at OIympics games for their countries Switzerland, Spain, Serbia, and Great Britain, respectively. In the Big 3 era, the 3 OIympics were won by 2 of the Big 4.

Some of you guys still live in the past. The world, including the world of tennis, has changed and moved on from the past.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
There is no point in bringing up players of previous eras. In the current Big 3 era, Federer, Rafa, Djokovic, Murray, del Potro, etc. placed importance on Olympics and played at Olympics whenever they can, except for their injuries. For instance, Rafa skipped 2012 London (and also USO'12) and Federer skipped 2016 Rio (and also USO'16) due to injuries. Federer, Rafa, Djokovic, Murray were flag bearers at OIympics games for their countries Switzerland, Spain, Serbia, and Great Britain, respectively. In the Big 3 era, the 3 OIympics were won by 2 of the Big 4.

Some of you guys still live in the past. The world, including the world of tennis, has changed and moved on from the past.
Not to mention playing intensity and emotions which can only be seen at the Olympics. But try to explain this to slamtards.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I don't know, maybe you share a video of the last time Djokovic cried at a first round exit in a 1000 masters event.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts

Thread starts with.........Many tennis players don't care about Olympics

Reactions: hammett

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
To me, it comes 5th after the 4 grand slams, primarily because it is the only event outside grand slams a 5-setter match (i.e., Olympics final) is still played.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I think it's above a Masters, but below a Slam
I will quite Sport67, who made a great contribution to the importance of the Olympics in this thread:

Here's an excerpt below (for context, he was arguing that it's of equal importance to an ATP finals win):
Re: New GOAT Rankings - September 2017

2) Current prestige among players: Some players like Steffi Graf, Serena Williams, Agassi, Djokovic or Murray say the Olympic Gold Medal in singles is so prestigious or even more than a GS.
Source:
Let, Second Serve: Olympics or Slams - What's More Important For Tennis Players?
How Important Is an Olympic Gold Medal in Tennis? | World Tennis Magazine

An Olympic Gold Medal is not as relevant as a GS, but in the current era it is at least equally relevant than the World Tour Finals, a tournament played every year, while the Olympics are disputed every four years. The Olympic Gold Medal doesn't give the players any ATP points. Murray, the last winner, won 0 new ATP points. PLayers play for their honour and their country. The Olympic Gold Medal in singles is like the World Cup of Football in terms of relevance. In fact, it's even more difficult to win a Gold Medal in singles than winning a Grand Slam. Grand Slams are more prestigious and more relevant but no more difficult to achieve. Players can try to win a particular Grand Slam every year, which means they can try it 15 or 16 times in their career. But players only can try to win an Olympic Gold Medal in singles 3 or 4 times in their career. For eaxmple, Federer lost to Haas in 2000, Berdych in 2004, Blake in 2008 and Murray in 2012. Even Federer found it impossible to win one, it shows how difficult it is to achieve. Before anyone start with the argument that some unknown player has won the Gold Medal, I will reply than Gaston Gaudio won a Grand Slam in 2004 and only a few people remember him.

Sampras participated in the 1992 Olympics, and Agassi won the Gold Medal in 1996. In the 90s, the Olympic Gold Medal started to be more relevant, but in the XXI century the Olympic Gold in singles has acquired a new status as a relevant trophy in tennis. A great exaple of its importance can be appreciated in how Djokovic cried of emotion and pain when Del Potro beated him in the 2016 Summer Olympics.

In sum, both trophies are equally relevant. The World Tour Finals have been historically very relevant. WTF are also disputed among the 8 players with higher ATP ranking. It makes pretty difficult draws. On the other hand, the Olympic Gold in singles is only played every four years, which make it an extremelly difficult trophy to achieve, even more than the WTF. And it is becoming more and more prestigious in the XXI century.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To me, it comes 5th after the 4 grand slams, primarily because it is the only event outside grand slams a 5-setter match (i.e., Olympics final) is still played.
I respect your opinion but still disagree.
I would add that as far as i am concerned tennis or soccer should not be included in the Olympics.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"The Olympic Gold Medal in singles is like the World Cup of Football in terms of relevance".

That's a silly comparison. Football fans do note give a damn about Olympics, cuz the real deal Is the World Cup.
In tennis the real deal are Grand slams, year end championship and probably other tournaments.

"Players play for their honour and their country".

That's the point, just like Davis Cup.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
"The Olympic Gold Medal in singles is like the World Cup of Football in terms of relevance".

That's a silly comparison. Football fans do note give a damn about Olympics, cuz the real deal Is the World Cup.
In tennis the real deal are Grand slams, year end championship and probably other tournaments.

"Players play for their honour and their country".

That's the point, just like Davis Cup.
Yes, but it's clear that the Olympics holds more prestige in tennis than Olympic football holds in the world of football. Football in the Olympics is just under-23s competing with a few older players allowed, so most of the top players are missing. But in Olympic tennis most of the top players have competed in the last 3 tournaments .

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, but it's clear that the Olympics holds more prestige in tennis than Olympic football holds in the world of football. Football in the Olympics is just under-23s competing with a few older players allowed, so most of the top players are missing. But in Olympic tennis most of the top players have competed in the last 3 tournaments .
Right, but top players attending, for instance, Indian Wells still outnumber those attending the Olympics.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Slightly above ATP500.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts