Mens Tennis Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Re: Olympic Singles Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 15, 2016)

It seems you are drunken. Otherwise I can't explain what you mean.
yap, Ausländer aus Russland

Zverev comes from a Russian tennis family. His father, Alexander Sr., is a former professional tennis player who competed for the Soviet Union. In 1991, he and his wife Irina, a former tennis player as well, moved to Hamburg, Germany, where Alexander Jr. was born and raised

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

Irgendeinen Wikipedia-Eintrag rausgesucht ohne Hintergrundwissen. Er fühlt sich und ist auch zu 100% Deutscher.
ja, verstehe ich, aber das ist für mich "falsch", weil seinen Eltern Russen sind und er ist auch, er ist nur in Deutschland geboren.

Aber egal

Anyhow, Andrey Kuznetsov plays in Rio

·
Registered
7,118 Posts

I follow him since he was 14.

Why should I support players from other countries?
And why should you support players only from your country?
Most tennis fans support players because of their playing style, personality, etc., not because they are from the same country.

·
Registered
997 Posts

Can you prove that?
I think that for a lot of people (including myself) patriotism in sport was a way in to supporting tennis.

When I see my countrymen/women playing any sport I want them to suceed, regardless of my familiarity with the sport.

After a few years following tennis, I've become fond of the personalities/game styles of a few non Aussies. I do track their progress, but I have never formed the same attachment to them that I have to some of the Aussies.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts

Can you prove that?
So for you it's enough to be a fan of a certain player, Zverev for example, only because he is German?
And what if a player has the dullest game or he is one of the biggest scumbags on tour? Should I still support him?
My point is that you should like player's game style, personality. And what country he plays for is secondary for me. Of course it's nice if he is my countryman, but if he isn't, it will not make support him less.

If you want proof, you can start a thread in GM.

·
Registered
838 Posts

So for you it's enough to be a fan of a certain player, Zverev for example, only because he is German?
And what if a player has the dullest game or he is one of the biggest scumbags on tour? Should I still support him?
My point is that you should like player's game style, personality. And what country he plays for is secondary for me. Of course it's nice if he is my countryman, but if he isn't, it will not make support him less.
That's your point and that's ok. But everybody should decide themselves who they support and why.
I see it like b.kelly123. I support all my countrymen. But i support Zverev because he is german and because i like his gamesyle and personality. Among the germans i would say i have maybe favourite germans. Like Becker when i was very young, then Haas and now Zverev, Molleker and Altmaier.

I do like also other players like Djokovic. I like his personality. I like Federers gamestyle. But it's not the same attachmant like b.kelly already said. When i'm supporting Germans it feels like supporting a team. The German Team. Mostly nobody else supports them except Germans. I cheer for them like i cheer for my favourite football club.

Ok, it's off topic now. Sorry. But i don't think we get a proof when we start a new topic.

·
158,659 Posts

that's your point and that's ok. But everybody should decide themselves who they support and why.
I see it like b.kelly123. I support all my countrymen. But i support zverev because he is german and because i like his gamesyle and personality. Among the germans i would say i have maybe favourite germans. Like becker when was very young, then haas and now zverev, molleker and altmaier.

I do like also other players like djokovic. I like his personality. I like federers gamestyle. But it's not the same attachmant like b.kelly already said. When i'm supporting germans it feels like supporting a team. The german team. Mostly nobody else supports them except germans. I cheer for them like i cheer for my favourite football club.

Ok, it's off topic now. Sorry.
+1

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Re: Olympic Singles Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated July 29, 2016)

OUT: Zverev
@Ertl93
Regarding your discussion, I for example dislike Polish tennis players, I dont care about nationality, it's about personality mainly, and game style, that's why I support Damir, but not every Bosnian, Im for example always against Basic.

·
Bring it Home
20,319 Posts

Hopefully Sportv to stream the draw ceremony live, but I doubt it. They announced 16 channels for the Olympics (Sportv 10 only for tennis) plus 40 other streamings on internet.

One question: is this a tournament with 8, 16 or 32 seeds?

Regarding the discussion about nationality -- I don't care, I prefer the ones with the playing style I like most too, but I can understand people supporting mainly players from their countries. On DC and OG I support brazilians, doesn't matter if they're playing my favorites, I'll support the brazilian ones.

·
Registered
13 Posts

So um... Thomas Fabbiano?

http://www.itftennis.com/news/232270.aspx

The 27 year old, Italian journeyman that briefly broke into the top 100 in April for the first time before falling out again (112th as of June 6)? So his best career wins (Top 50) are over Gilles Muller (Chennai '16) and Leonardo Mayer (Dubai '16), has a total of 17 ATP tour matches (winning just four), and just two MD GS appearances (losing in R1 both times). Looking at his Davis Cup record, it is nonexistent. So how is this guy going to Rio?

Ladies and Gentlemen, Thomas Fabiano, Challenger level fodder but now the fourth representative of the Italian team and forever Olympian... Grats to him, I guess, but they need to figure out a better system when invitations are going out to the Thomas Fabbianos of the world.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

Hopefully Sportv to stream the draw ceremony live, but I doubt it. They announced 16 channels for the Olympics (Sportv 10 only for tennis) plus 40 other streamings on internet.

One question: is this a tournament with 8, 16 or 32 seeds?

Regarding the discussion about nationality -- I don't care, I prefer the ones with the playing style I like most too, but I can understand people supporting mainly players from their countries. On DC and OG I support brazilians, doesn't matter if they're playing my favorites, I'll support the brazilian ones.
16 seeds, 4 in each section

41 - 60 of 77 Posts