Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
It's funny how short people's memories are. Federer developed the ability to break rhythm specifically in response to Novak's game.

If Fed's game was naturally a good match for Novak's, he wouldn't have felt the need to change it. Novak certainly never changed his game to compete with Roger.
What's also funny is to call a 29 yo Roger "Olderer", when at 35 yo he barely lost any match from the AO to Wimbledon and at 38 yo played a 5 hours slam final.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Wow!! They are almost identical. But the important thing to remember here is 2015 season.

We can all agree that is the worst season for Rafa in his career. He was losing to all kinds of mugs that year. On the other hand, Novak played the best season of his career. They played 4 times that year and Djokovic won all 4 in straights.

Now in 2017, Djokovic had his worst season whereas Nadal had a relatively great season but met each other just once and Nadal won in straights as expected. I honestly expected Nadal to pick up a hard court win against Djokovic that year but alas they never met.

I remember, they were just a match away from facing each other in Monte Carlo and French Open but Djokovic lost early. Djokovic is definitely a very bad match up for Nadal but it is bit unlucky that Nadal never got to play him more when he was going through a bad patch.

Federer on the other hand, also faced Djokovic more in 2015. But that year Roger had a relatively good season too. He just couldn't beat him more in big matches. Just 1 win in 6 finals. Likewise, I don't think he faced Novak either in 2017.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
In 2011, Novak entered his prime and began a domination of the tour that has continued to this day (with a few lapses and performance troughs along the way).

I've been looking at the records of Roger and Rafa against Novak since 2011 and was rather surprised by a few of the stats that emerged:

a) In terms of H2H matches since 2011, Novak is leading Rafa 22-10, whereas he's only leading Roger 21-10. (I'm following the standard practice of not counting walkovers. If you add in the one w/o, then the records are identical at 22-10.) What's surprising here is not just that Roger has a better record, but that he has met Novak pretty much the same number of times.

b) In terms of H2H sets since 2011, Novak is leading Rafa 57-33 and leading Roger 54-37. As such, Rafa wins 37% of sets against Novak, whereas Roger wins 41%.

c) Breaking down the Novak-Rafa rivalry into clay and non-clay since 2011, we see that Novak has won 37 sets to Rafa's 13 off clay. Perhaps no surprise there. But on clay, the record is 20-20 in terms of sets won!!

d) In terms of clay matches, Rafa leads Novak 8-7. Strange how Rafa's clay dominance does not translate into the H2H.

It's certainly been Novak's decade. What is strange is that arguably his most consistent rival during this period has been a guy who was 29 when the period of domination began and who had won his first slam 7.5 years before the period of domination began.
So you are going to count the good h2h records of Roger and probably discount the other h2h which does not suit you or you are different than the other Fedtards?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Novak was injured and had family issues for 2 years and is the youngest of the 3 guys, so what is the over-the-top Fedal boasting about? When he was back to normal, he beat Fedal.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts