Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is still early but after Cincy, Nadal, Federer and Djokovic are 1,2,3 in the race to London. I know I should be all on the Nextgen hype train, but it was good to see Alex pushed to 4. Petty I know but I just not a fan of his.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
never in doubt

·
Registered
671 Posts
"Old" is the key word in the thread title.

The three Jedi Masters are telling the Next Gen contingent "the Force is with you Next Gen contenders, but you aren't Jedi yet". Meanwhile Generation Useless is doing what they do best - be useless.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Now we just need Andy to get lucky with his recovery and get his shoit together....big four assemble!

The year is 2052. All eyes on the tour diligently await the return of Roger Federer to the circuit following his second titanium replacements on L3/L4 vertebrae. On his anticipated climb back to the top of the game past his 70th year, the elderly Swiss no.1 commented that "It's great to be heading back out on the tour. Now the grandchildren are in their teens, I really want to push for a few slam wins for that they can remember. I was sad to miss this years Olympics, but plan at least to make the '56 event in the Republic of Scotland. I already have my kit designs through to the end of the '55 season, and the plan is to play on as long as the body will allow". Of suggestions that the emergence of a new and promising 'next generation' of young tennis professionals might finally topple the old guard, Roger waved his hand and chortled "Yeah, sure....why not".

Roger's sexagenarian counterparts also show no signs of letting up. Rafael Nadal, who now only plays (and wins) the French Open every year believes that a time will come when the big four are no longer competetive. The Spanish superstar said "For sure, Inogonnabeplayingforever, no? Is true, I have been very very unlucky with tha injury in my 50's, but I have been finding new big illusion to win and I just gonna keep with tha humble and trymybest. I still gonna retire when my body is in good shape and wanna start a family soon, but wegonnasee whats going on". Novak Djokovic returned to world no.1 this year, following his 5 year haitus under the tutelage of Spiritual Master 'Shri Kamlesh Patel' of the Shri Ram Chandra Mission, deep in the deserts of Tamil Nadu. The aging Serb attests his return and rich vein of form to the "Sahaj Marg method of cleansing and yogic meditation. And, of course, the egg.". Andy Murray, who had retired from the game awaiting advancements in medicine in '20 '28 '34 and after the passing of his mother Judy in '46, also returned to the tour in scintilating fashion - by claming his 7th Wimbledon. Currently sitting at no.3 in the ATP world rankings, the Scottish tennis legend raced back to slam winning form with the 8th reappointment of on-again off-again coach, 92 year old legend Ivan Lendl. Murray's fear that he would lose the affections of the Wimbledon faithful in his tour down-time were swiftly allayed at the championship. As he stepped out onto the hallowed turf for the first time in 6 years, cries of "Come on Tim!" rang out around centre court.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
How can we be happy with 30 years olds still winning every major tournament. I might seem bitter about this considering I'm a Fed fan and he's not doing too hot at the moment, but I've said this during 2017 too. It's somewhat nice/nostalgic to see them at the top, but it's kinda dreadful at the same time.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Much respect for these giants of the game. People can complain that it's still the same names, but apparently even 70% versions are still good enough. It just shows how good they are/were. Up to the youngsters to beat them and they don't.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Now, when all Big3 are fighting for trophies again, small window of opportunity for other players is over. They'll have to wait 10 years to have another chance for #1 ;)

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
It's not any 30 year olds though, we may never see these kind of players playing at the same time ever again, might as well enjoy while it lasts. :)
Well, I can at least appreciate all these guys coming back at a late age from pretty big injuries/setbacks (and in Djokovic' case a seemingly huge mental "slump" as well) to perform on the big stages again :) As you say, this is a special bunch and I didn't mean to be ungratefull for them. Still, I'm hoping someone will pick up the pace when they're done, which could still be a few more years, but I feel the clock is definitely ticking (for Federer especially which makes me a bit more melodramatic about this possibly, but meh).

EDIT: just to add, I'm not expecting/wanting another 10+ slam champ or anything, but just a new guy really getting to that #1 spot for a decent period would be good.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Sure you would be very happy if Fed won Wimb , Cincinati, MI, IW the same as he won AO, Rotterdam and became no1 again...

Jeez, I can't stand hypocrisy of MTF posters

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I dont get all the whining in this thread. you do realize in a another 4-5 years this will all be done, over, dusted, never to return again right? just enjoy these 3 legendary players while you can because you're not going to see something like this in your live time again.

After them tennis is going to seem mediocre compared to the level of brilliance we were accustom to with these 3

1 - 18 of 18 Posts