Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I watched Murray-Safin yesterday, and after he won the 2nd set 6-1, Murray started to lose against an experienced Safin that served better and closed the match 6-1. Murray was throwing his towel down in front of the ball boys while they were waiting for it, he was very negative and double-faulted almost comically. He looks like a spoiled kid and I hope for him he'll change because he doesn't seem that talented to allow himself to behave like that. He gave Safin the victory IMO. What do you think ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
698 Posts
Re: Murray's attitude sucks

He is very raw, he needs to learn he has played a handfull of atp matches and is so pumped, For me Djokovic is quite similar these young guns want to win so bad, there in a new enviroment and are learning how to deal with everything, Murray was very dissapointed after the 2nd set, but he has to learn and he will he has only been playing on the atp since June, let's see how he develops over the next few months. He has already cut out the other celebrations, i feel he is a very young 18 compared to a Nadal or Gasquet who have far more experience.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

skel1983 said:
He has already cut out the other celebrations, i feel he is a very young 18 compared to a Nadal or Gasquet who have far more experience.
For sure, esp. with Nadal and his fighting spirit... what a contrast with low-profile Tim !

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

I want to like Andy Murray, I really do. And I was cheering for him against Safin. I mean, it would be great to have a top Scottish player.

But he really is a gurning, odd little face-ache. The commentators on Sky were commending his shots, which were great at some point, and he clearly has a good tennis brain.

But when his face screws up like a smacked arse and he starts throwing little fits, I just want to give him a thick ear.

And of course anyone who doesn't show ballboys 100% respect (if he was being rude) needs to wise up.

The french have Gasquet, the spanish get Nafal, 2 potential superstars. And we get this little runt. :mad:

·
Registered
19,954 Posts

The Pro said:
The french have Gasquet, the spanish get Nafal, 2 potential superstars. And we get this little runt. :mad:
:haha:
You guys are always so tough on your own.

To be fair on Andy, he's working on his attitude, I think. He said in a recent interview that he knew that he was over the top in Wimbledon.

Each player has to live with his own personality and you can't expect all of them to be the "true calm gentleman" just like Tim Henman seems to be.
Some are more introvert and calm by nature and some are more intense and outgoing by nature.
What Andy now needs to do is find a way to let his personality work for him on the court and now, it hampers him a bit too much (just my impression).

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

Yeah, I guess we are.

Don't get me wrong though, I could like Murray. There's just something lacking. During his interviews with Sue at Wimbledon, he was dry to the point of being bland.

Time will tell. I like how he's making a name for himself though.

·
Banned
19,258 Posts

My friends, what did Roger do when he was 18? He smashed rackets, shouted, etc.
What did Safin? broke lots of rackets! Andy just shouldn't risk to get the crowd against him, emotions are good but not those things of yesterday's match!

It's clearly all people think he was a fluke, as I said.
Nothing special....

BUT MY FRIENDS YOU'LL SEE WHAT WILL HAPPEN.

Wimbledon champion 2007 at the age of 20!

Time will bring..

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Federer_Express said:
Wimbledon champion 2007 at the age of 20!

Time will bring..
Don't do the makro120 with optimistic predictions...
Safin still smashes racquets, but he gives a lot in interviews, and there you see he's a trully great character... time will tell for Murray, but I have my doubts, and yesterday display was not pretty. He could have beaten Safin with a better attitude in the 3rd, which would have been a shock... too bad for him ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts

All kid experience this, they have a lot of things to learn besides tennis skills, and it will take some time. Don't be too strict to Murray.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Tomorrow said:
All kid experience this, they have a lot of things to learn besides tennis skills, and it will take some time. Don't be too strict to Murray.
Unfortunately for him, he's also ugly, and I'm afraid it won't change soon :devil:

·
Registered
331 Posts

From what little I know Andy Murray is actually quite considerate - spending ages signing autographs after matches at Wimbledon and Queens because when he was a kid, a certain top player walked straight past him after he had waited for ages for an autograph, so he knows how it feels and he made an effort to sign for as many people as possible.

By the end of the Safin match he was probably tired, frustrated and totally fed up because he was playing poorly (it happens from time to time) and had no control over the match - Safin was just toying with him. He tried to serve deep into the corners on his 2nd serve because in the 1st set he got killed on 2nd serve and it worked in the 2nd set but in the third he kept just missing and ended up with a double fault.

If you are going to criticise players who throw their rackets and get grumpy it is going to be one very long list. As for the towel - he probably just demonstrating his frustration - nothing to do with ball boys.

(I too think Safin is great in interviews)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts

he definately has an attitude probelm. i couldnt believe how disrespectful he was to stepanek. total twat.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts

kundalini said:
From what little I know Andy Murray is actually quite considerate - spending ages signing autographs after matches at Wimbledon and Queens because when he was a kid, a certain top player walked straight past him after he had waited for ages for an autograph, so he knows how it feels and he made an effort to sign for as many people as possible.
Name and shame! It was Agassi, the narky swine isn't beyond reproach! :D

I can only imagine what will happen if Murray and Agassi ever play. I'd say when they shake hands Agassi would give him a bit of paper and say "Here's the autograph you wanted. You little punk!"

But yeah, Andy is good that way, he has a lot of time for his fans.

·
Registered
331 Posts

1sun said:
he definately has an attitude probelm. i couldnt believe how disrespectful he was to stepanek. total twat.
Saying Stepanek behaved like an idiot was hardly diplomatic.

But there is a long list of players saying something along the same lines in private.

So perhaps Stepanek might wish to change his behaviour

Or perhaps it is just sportsmanship

·
Registered
771 Posts

The Pro said:
Yeah, I guess we are.

Don't get me wrong though, I could like Murray. There's just something lacking. During his interviews with Sue at Wimbledon, he was dry to the point of being bland.
If its the same interview I am thinking of - he was dry to the point of being really rude - sorry scratch that - I think he was really rude - he needs to learn to respect his elders.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

ladies and gents i think we have found the new hewitt!! :devil:

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Nimomunz said:
ladies and gents i think we have found the new hewitt!! :devil:
Hopefully for him he'll be number 1 two years in a row and get 2 slams...

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

:scratch: um no but thats good to!
mdhubert said:
Hopefully for him he'll be number 1 two years in a row and get 2 slams...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts