Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love Andy, but just watching him play this match, Andy is no longer a top 5 player in my opinion. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but take away the big serve and what's left?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I think it's ridiculous when people say "not a top ___ player".

I'm not talking about you, I'm just saying that if they earn the points, they deserve it. Maybe you could say that he isn't one of the top 5 most talented players, but somehow between the Mickey Mouse tournaments and sucky RG results, he's still up there.

·
Registered
55,915 Posts
I was watching the replay of the USO 2003 final the other day and noticed that Andy used to hit with a lot more power back then, especially on the FH. He seems to have slowed down a bit now.

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aceit said:

I'm not talking about you, I'm just saying that if they earn the points, they deserve it. Maybe you could say that he isn't one of the top 5 most talented players, but somehow between the Mickey Mouse tournaments and sucky RG results, he's still up there.

Point taken........................

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
the debate about andy's what-if-you-take-away-andy's-serve? has grown old.

so he has that main weapon.

so what if you take away andre's returns?
or sampras's booming 2nd serve?
or chang's speed?
or hewitt's tenacity?

you get me? each player has a strength that they will try to take advantage of. andy's still in the top 5 for me.

in fact, i'm wondering why hewitt's on top of him considering lleyton only won 1 tourney this year. although he did make it deep in some events, roddick has been more consistent...

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
mangoes said:
take away the big serve and what's left?
how original! ;) Serve (maybe unfortunately for you) is a big part of tennis...perhaps the most important shot...don't moan just because he has a big one. :p

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Well, apparently Muller has a lot of game. Maybe he's a furture top 5 guy? Anyway playing a tough guy early makes Andy look worse than if he were playing Minar or Reynolds. This is how the draw makes a difference.

Muller is 6'5" but he moves like he was 6'1".

·
Miss Thang
36,083 Posts
As I type this, Muller has a two-set advantage over Roddick-in tiebreaks, but it's shocking just the same.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Muller just took the 2nd set. The way he is playing right now he looks like Safin if he were uninjured and stable. It's crazy that this is 1st round match. The way Muller is playing he would have taken out Nadal in the first round if that's how the draw worked out. So don't just blame Roddick about this.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
megadeth said:
the debate about andy's what-if-you-take-away-andy's-serve? has grown old.

so he has that main weapon.

so what if you take away andre's returns?
or sampras's booming 2nd serve?
or chang's speed?
or hewitt's tenacity?

you get me? each player has a strength that they will try to take advantage of. andy's still in the top 5 for me.

in fact, i'm wondering why hewitt's on top of him considering lleyton only won 1 tourney this year. although he did make it deep in some events, roddick has been more consistent...
aceit said:

PamV said:
Muller just took the 2nd set. The way he is playing right now he looks like Safin if he were uninjured and stable. It's crazy that this is 1st round match. The way Muller is playing he would have taken out Nadal in the first round if that's how the draw worked out. So don't just blame Roddick about this.
What they said. :yeah:

:worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
jbone_14 said:
?Donde esta el mojo de Andy Roddick? No lo encuentra :haha: :lol:
Acuérdese que este Muller también había vencido al Nadal. Esta jugando como una maquina. :eek:

Let's remember that Muller took out Nadal in Wimbledon. This guy is on fire. Why hasn't he done more so far this year if he can play like this?

·
Registered
557 Posts
The older Roddick will get, the worst he'll get, no question about that. He peaked already.

He already lost some of the energy and power he had in 2003.

·
Comparisons are Odious
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
CC MoonCakes said:
Just wait till he gets back his mojo. It's all planned you know.

I hope so because I really don't want him to lose.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Paul Banks said:
The older Roddick will get, the worst he'll get, no question about that. He peaked already.
Thank you for your wonderous insight, oh Mighty Guru. :worship:

:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts