Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(MTF exclusive ;) )

I watched the Fabrice Santoro vs. Jarkko Nieminen match just a while ago, and I now understand why Santoro has been called "The Magician" and why Marat Safin (among other players) is so frustrated by him.

Basically Santoro hits with two backhands; he uses a left-handed backhand slice for balls to his right side, then uses a double-handed backhand for balls to his left side. He may also use a right-handed topspin forehand to hit passing shots. His serve is right-handed, and rather than using pace on his shots he puts an emphasis on placement instead.

Nieminen over the whole match had trouble with Santoro's slice backhand; the sheer amount of patience needed to wait for the underspun ball to land and the care with which such a ball must be struck to avoid error took its toll on his patience.

I missed the end of this match, though. But I'm glad that Santoro is through; it gives me a reason to go support Tangy's Santoro forum initiative. (Now if I could only find that link...)

Sebastien Grosjean didn't make it past Taylor Dent, but there are still at least three more players wearing Lacoste that are in the second round--Santoro, Clement, and Andy Roddick. The French company must be very happy.

·
Registered
13,183 Posts
Uh oh! Clement is gone :p Well im happy because Tommy beat him :woohoo: I love him so :) Now he's playing Novak...who i also love :sad: But Andys in the mix and he's a Lacostian! :dance: :)

Santoro really can be magic with his racket. I would hate it if i had to play him (if i was good :p) He drives me insane with what he can do with the ball. But it makes for good viewing :D xxx

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lacoste must be very happy Andy got through to the third round. :scared: He's the only one left :sobbing:

Santoro rules. :rocker2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts