Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Faves: Dmitri Tursunov, Diego Schwartzman, Fernando Verdasco, Alex de Minaur and Ash Barty :)
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2021: no wildcards

2019: No changes to the rules.

2018 Changes:
a) Players now have 5 Wildcards for the year. (Previously 3)
b) There is now no limit to the number of wildcards given in a tournament. (Previously 5)

2017 Changes:
The changes for 2017 are:
a) Players may now pick all of their picks from a single round.
b) Tie-break rule has changed slightly. Most correct picks, Least incorrect picks, then best single pick, 2nd best pick, etc. (Least incorrect picks was added)
c) Commitments are now in the thread the same system that is used in Tennis Tipping. The thread is opened 2 weeks before the tournament. The deadline closes when the first Main Draw match starts.
d) Rankings are best 18 tournaments in the last 12 months, the Year End Championship counts as an extra 19th tournament. (Previously best 20 tournaments)

PAW Boards
2019: Wojtek, jrm, rusca_djokerfan, kondrashov
2018: Wojtek, jrm, rusca_djokerfan, kondrashov
2017: Wojtek, jrm, rusca_djokerfan, kondrashov
2016: Snowwy, jervisjames, Wojtek, jrm, (bry17may left)
2015: Snowwy, ...
2014:
2013:
2012:
2011:
2010:
2009:
2008:
2007:
2006:
2005:
2004: Game commenced and was run by a number of people. Rules adopted from game played at ? (TennisForums).
Last updated: 10 Jan 2018

·
Registered
Faves: Dmitri Tursunov, Diego Schwartzman, Fernando Verdasco, Alex de Minaur and Ash Barty :)
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Re: Official PAW Rules updated 2017

The Official PAW Rules + Supplement

I’m new and I have never played PAW, so how does it work?
PAW is an abbreviation for Pick-A-Winner. It is a game where you predict the winners of matches of your choice during an ATP Tournament. As a PAW player, you are indeed like an ATP player, you will be travelling the PAW circuit each week predicting matches in each tournament. PAW is a game in which there is no pre-determined luck or fantasy, your performance is based on your own ability to pick winning matches compared to your fellow PAW competitors. The following is all you need to know about PAW. All players are welcome so please join us whenever you like.

COMMITMENTS

Rule 1.1: Commitments. OK, I would like to play, so what do I do now?

Well, you just need to go to the thread for the tournament you would like to play. In the tournament thread, you need to post: “I commit here” or “IN” or something like that, up until the cut-off date and time.
You are only allowed to play in one (1) tournament each week, even when more than one tournament is run simultaneously, and there are PAW games for each of them.
The manager will open the PAW thread 2 weeks before the start of the tournament and list the deadline time.

Rule 1.2: Minimum number of players

There is a minimum of 12 players to run a tournament, if a tournament is cancelled you will be allowed to play in another for that week. (The tournament with the least players is cancelled first and players affected can choose which other tournament to play, then if any other tournament still does not have enough players, they will be cancelled, etc.)

Rule 1.3: Deadline for commitment. What is the exact moment that the deadline closes?

The deadline closes when the first Main Draw match starts.

The World Clocks for ATP tournament cities
Go to www.timeanddate.com or simply type in your search engine 'Time in {add city name}'

WILDCARDS

Rule 2.1: Wildcards. What happens if I miss the deadline, can I still play?

No, If you MISS the deadline at the start of play you will have to wait for the following week to play.

Rule 2.2: Wildcards (WCs), how many of them can I take during the whole year-season?

WC's are cancelled in 2021 , tournaments will be opened at least 1 week previous to give everyone lots of time to enter.

HOW TO PLAY

Rule 3.1: How to play. OK, so I have made my commitment. How and where do I post my PAW’s (Predictions)?

In the tournament thread that you have committed, you may start to post your PAW’s when the draw is known for the Main Draw. Study the draw and Scoring Points table and then start making your picks.

The Draw and Scoring Points table will appear in the thread when the draw has been released by the ATP Tournament Officials. You are allowed to post your picks before the Scoring Points have been posted in the thread.

This is how to post your predictions:

PAWnn Winner over Loser

E.g.
PAW01 Murray over Djokovic

"nn" should indicate which number of your chosen picks it is: from PAW01, PAW02, etc… to PAW13. (ie your last chosen fixture should be labelled PAW13 (or up to PAW26 in a Grand Slam))

Numbering PAWs is not only important to help the current PAW manager, but also helps you keep track of all your own picks.

You must post your predictions in the format “PAWnn Murray over Federer”, it must be clearly specified who you have predicted to win. If you posted “Murray vs Federer” this pick would be invalid. You are also required to specify the full surname of the players - no abbreviations or nicknames please.

Rule 3.2: PAW pick deadline. Do I have to post my PAWs before the matches have started?

YES, Each pick must be made before that match begins. If there is a chance the match had started when the pick was posted then that pick cannot be accepted.
This rule is applied very strictly.
Post your picks before the session of play begins to ensure your picks are accepted. This is so everyone knows your pick was made before the match started.
(Match start times are not recorded on PAW, so picks must be made before a match starts according to the starting time as seen on a number of websites with live scores available. The manager will have a website they use such as xscores.com or tennislive.com)

Rule 3.2.1: In the circumstance of a tournament not providing live scores.

Your PAW must be posted before the closing time for each match. The Closing Time for each match is determined by a formula based on the total number of games played in earlier matches in the same session.
Basically, three minutes are allowed for each game plus 10 minutes for each break between matches.
If the match is the first on that court, you must post your PAW no later than five minutes before the match starting time as seen on the Order of Play (OOP), for your pick to be valid.

Rule 3.3: Alternate place to post your PAW. What happens when mtf.com is slow or down?

The manager will put in the first post an alternate place to send picks (usually an email address). When sending your picks by email, etc. Do remember to include your mtf.com handle/nickname. There was an alternate website, but it is no longer running, so cannot be used any more.

Rule 3.4: Pick Limits in tournaments. Ok, so I hear something about predicting matches, is there a limit to the number of matches I predict per tournament?

Yes there is a limit.
For:
Grand Slams, you are permitted to 26 picks
Other 128-draw tournaments, you are permitted to 19 picks
One-week 64-draw or 48-draw tournaments, you are permitted to 16 picks
One-week 32-draw or 28-draw tournaments, you are permitted to 13 picks
16-draw tournaments or round-robin tournaments, you are permitted to 7 picks.

The number of matches you pick can be from ANY rounds in the main draw.
For example for a one-week 32 draw tournament you are allowed any 13 picks.
(For instance, you might choose 4 First Round Matches, 4 Second Round matches, 2 Quarter Finals, both Semis and the Final. Or you could choose 13 matches from the First Round. It is up to you. :D )

Rule 3.5: Reversed Picks. What if I posted PAW01 and next PAW02 as a reversed PAW01?

The case:
PAW01 Djokovic over Murray
PAW02 Murray over Djokovic

This is equal to not putting picks (PAWs) at all. Both picks cancel each other out and are automatically not valid. Invalid picks may be replaced.

Rule 3.6: Duplicate Picks. What if I posted PAW01 and next PAW02 the same as PAW01?

The case:
PAW01 Murray over Djokovic
PAW02 Murray over Djokovic

This is a double pick. PAW2 is not valid. Invalid picks may be replaced.

Rule 3.7: Player Withdrawals. Would a PAW become invalid if a player withdrew from their match?

This depends:
If the player withdrew before the match and not one single point was completed, the PAW would be invalid and players are allowed to make a replacement PAW. (This is a walkover).
If the player withdrew from the match after at least one single points had been completed, the PAW would be valid. (This is a retirement).
Rule 3.8: Draw Changes. What if a draw change occurred, that affected my pick, would that make it invalid?

Yes, however you are again permitted to post a replacement PAW that must be specified in a new post rather than editing the original one.

Rule 3.9: Changing Picks. What if I change my mind after I make my PAW, can I change it?

It is strongly encouraged that you make up your mind before you pick. However you are allowed to make replacement PAWs as long as it is posted before the match and it MUST be specified in a new post.
You MUST NOT edit your original post, since this is not efficient for the PAW manager in compiling your picks and can lead to possible cheating.

Make it clear that you are replacing a previous pick, otherwise it will be considered a new pick. Often people mistakenly write incorrect numbering when posting new picks, so it is difficult for the manager to know that you are replacing a pick with the same number or that you made a mistake with numbering a new pick.

Rule 3.9.1: Original pick cannot be replaced by an invalid pick or a pick you have already made.

If you replace a pick with an invalid pick, you will need to replace it again.

Rule 3.9.2: Don't edit your posts and never delete them!

When you replace your picks, you must always do this in a new post.
A moderator (or administrator) will scan tournament's thread every day to track on deleted/edited posts. If you are caught cheating, you will be automatically disqualified from the tournament. In certain cases, you might be banned from playing PAW temporarily or permanently. Please play fairly, everybody!

Rule 3.9.3: Copying picks.

Don't copy pick(s) from other player(s)! If the manager recognizes that your picks were copied from another player, you will get a warning, if your picks are still "suspicious" you will be disqualified from the current tournament. Any further attempts to cheat, will result in you being banned.

Rule 3.10: ‘FINAL’ rule

The tournament Final (on the last day only) can be, but it is not a must, sent via PM (private message) to the Manager of the Tournament. It is recommended that the player posts on the PAW thread informing about his/her move. Remember that the pick must be received by the manager before the Final has started.

The Manager will post all the picks he/she has received via PM once the Final has started (or when the manager is next online).

Rule 3.10.1: What if a player withdraws from the final (before the match). Would that make the last pick invalid and mean I would go throughout the tournament only picking 12 matches, rather than the maximum 13?

Yes, this is an unfortunate circumstance. If it is impossible to make a replacement PAW it is unfortunate and no Scoring Points are awarded. This rule applies to all matches not played (e.g. matches cancelled due to rain).

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

SCORING

Rule 4.1: Scoring. So how is my performance measured relative to everyone else’s?

Your predicting performance will be determined by the Scoring Points from the matches you have correctly picked throughout the tournament.

For every singles main draw match, there will be scoring points posted in the SCORE POINTS TABLE. Here is an example taken from World Tour Finals 1st Round in 2016.

Scoring Points: 1st Round
Code:
[color=Black]DJOKOVIC, Novak............. vs THIEM, Dominic.............. (5-18)[/color]
[color=Black]MONFILS, Gael............... vs RAONIC, Milos............... (12-8)[/color]
[color=Black]WAWRINKA, Stan.............. vs NISHIKORI, Kei.............. (10-10)[/color]
[color=Black]MURRAY, Andy................ vs CILIC, Marin................ (6-18)[/color]
The numbers after the fixtures in the Scoring Points are the respective points you score for picking each player.
So if you pick Djokovic to beat Thiem and Djokovic wins then you score 5 points. But if you pick Thiem to beat Djokovic and he wins then you score 18 points! Of course, if you pick Thiem and he loses you score zero points.

Let’s say you picked these matches:

PAW01 Djokovic over Thiem
PAW02 Raonic over Monfils
PAW03 Wawrinka over Nishikori
PAW04 Murray over Cilic

Note: Since you are limited to a certain amount of “picks” in a tournament, in an actual game you may choose to 'pass' on some or all of these matches.

The Results:

Djokovic defeats Thiem 67(6) 63 64
You picked Djokovic so you score 5 points

Raonic defeats Monfils 76(7) 46 61
You picked Raonic so you score 8 points

Nishikori defeats Wawrinka 64 64
You picked Wawrinka so you score 0 points

Murray defeats Cilic 64 60
You picked Murray so you score 6 points

So from those four matches, you would have accumulated a total of 5 + 8 + 0 + 6 = 19 points.

The player with the most points at the end of the tournament is the winner. A 'league table/leaderboard' is maintained and will be in the first few posts of the PAW thread for that tournament.

As you have noticed, you get more points for picking low-ranked players than for picking high-ranked players. So for each of your selected matches you can choose to go for a “longshot” or to play it safe.

Rule 4.2: Score Points calculation

Scoring Points is based on a formula. You need the ATP players current ranking points (from the Monday before the current tournament started).

The formula is:
PAW points for any player = 10 multiplied by (squareroot of opponents ATP points) divided by (squareroot of players ATP points).

Score Points = 10 x (SQRT Opponent) / (SQRT Player)

Rule 4.3: The League Table

Each player's points are tallied and the player with the most points at the end of the tournament is declared the winner. The 'League Table' is maintained daily throughout the tournament.

Here's an example from end of tournament:
Code:
[U][B]. . Player..................... .. .P .. W .. L ..Pts[/B][/U] 
1 . speedster_................. .. 13 .. 8 .. 5 ..133
2 . saab95..................... .. 13 .. 8 .. 5 ..128
3 . sandg ..................... .. 13 .. 8 .. 5 ..126
4 . YoungProfessor............. .. 13 .. 9 .. 4 ..124
5 . ntohir..................... .. 13 .. 9 .. 4 ..122
6 . Wojtek .................... .. 13 .. 8 .. 5 ..117
7 . Je_ne_sais_quoi............ .. 13 .. 7 .. 6 ..105
8 . mypapa_je.................. .. 13 .. 6 .. 7 ..102
9 . SpikeyAidanm .............. .. 13 .. 6 .. 7 .. 96
10 . j_dementieva27............ .. 13 .. 7 .. 6 .. 94
11 . twight6................... .. 13 .. 7 .. 6 .. 93
12 . WTA Handicapper .......... .. 13 .. 9 .. 4 .. 92
> Under the far left column represents the league table position of that player, which usually changes on daily basis.
> Under the “P” column are the total number of picks made of that player at a certain time (ie – after the QF or after the whole tournament). This column is important for players to check out how many picks they have left.
> Under the “W” column are the number of picks that player has made correctly. (win column)
> Similarly, under the “L” column are the number of picks the player has made incorrectly. (lose column)
> Under the “Pts” column is the total number of points the player has gained through the scoring points of the matches. Again this is continually changing until the final day. (points column)
> (WC) represents that that particular player has requested a wildcard to enter the tournament, see the section of commitments for more details about Wildcards.
Note: Wildcards are not allowed some years and other systems are placed instead. Check the rules or with the Manager or players in the tournament if you can play a tournament currently being run.

RANKINGS

The PAW Ranking System closely mirrors the ATP Ranking System. Ranking Points are awarded according to positions in the Final League Table (Leaderboard) of each tournament.

Rule 5.1: Ranking points distribution.

Ranking Points have changed a few times since the game started in 2004. In 2009 when the ATP changed the structure of the ATP tournaments; since 2014 a different calculation was used based on the number of players in the PAW game. A link to the current ranking points tables is available in the thread. Or look for it in General----> Games----> PAW

Rule 5.2: Playing in multiple tournaments.

PAW players can only play in one tournament per week. If you play in more than one tournament in a week, you get zero (0) Ranking Points for that week. In effect, you are disqualified from both tournaments.

Rule 5.3: Tie-Break Rules. What happens if I finish equal 3rd with two other players, does that mean the 3rd, 4th and 5th position are determined through who has the best win-loss ratio?

In case several players have the same number of points, the following rules will be used to determine their place in the tournament:
1. The greater number of picks won. (correct picks)
If there is still a tie then:
2. The lower number of picks lost. (incorrect picks)
If there is still a tie then:
3. The greater points of a single correct pick. If there is still a tie then the greater second-best pick, and so on.
'No pick' will be considered better than '0 pts'. (Obsolete due to TB rules 1 and 2)
4. If there is still a tie then players will stay tied.

Rule 5.3.1: Tied Players. OK, so I am still tied with another player. Do we both get the points for that place?

No, players that finish in a tie with other players, are awarded “average points” for the places they would have taken if not tied.

For example:
10th place = 24 points, 11th place = 22 points, 12th place = 20 points.

If two players finished equal 10th, each would earn points for 10th+11th / 2. That is (24+22)/2 = 23 points each.

If three players finished equal 10th, each would earn points given for 10th+11th+12th / 3. That is (24+22+20)/3 = 22 points each.

Year End Championship (YEC/WTF/TMC)

Rule 6.1: Year End Championship/World Tour Final Qualification Rules. (Formerly The Masters Cup)

The Top 16 players of The Championship RACE automatically qualify to the World Tour Final. The RACE is the combined points from a players best 18 tournaments in the Calendar Year (this obviously excludes the Year End Championship points from the previous year).

Rule 6.1.1: YEC/WTF Alternate players.

At the beginning of the YEC tournament, alternate players who finished the Championship Race in 17th place or lower, may post their picks for the tournament in case someone in the top 16 does not play.
If a player in the top 16 has not posted picks by the end of Day 3 of play, they will be replaced by the next available alternate in order of Championship Race ranking. Once replaced, players cannot re-enter the tournament.
All picks posted by the alternate player(s) will be counted and the player(s) added to the leaderboard. The player(s) who did not play will be removed from the leaderboard.

Rule 6.1.2: YEC/WTF Tie-break rule.
In the event that there is a tie not resolved by the usual tie-break rules, the YEC/WTF leaderboard ranks will be determined by the ranking in the Championship Race for that year. This ensures that all 16 players are ranked separately in the final YEC/WTF leaderboard result.

For example:
Rafafan01 and GoPouilleGo finish tied for 15th place in the YEC championship with 1 correct winner and 6 losing picks for a total of 8 points. They cannot be separated by the usual tie-break system and therefore their places are determined by their final position on the Championship Race for the year. Rafafan01 finished 9th on the Championship Race, and GoPouilleGo finished 14th on the Championship Race. Rafafan01 therefore takes 15th place, and GoPouilleGo takes the 16th place.

OTHER GENERAL RULES

Rule 6.2: Are the games PAW(s) Doubles, PAW ITF and PAW Qualifying related to this game?

No, and they never will be. These game are run by different people and have different rules.

Rule 6.3: Cheating

Punishments for PAW cheaters:
For 1st cheating -> disqualification from current tournament and banning for one (1) month from playing PAW game.
For 2nd cheating -> permbanning from playing PAW game.

Rule 6.3.1 Editing or Deleting Picks.

Once a pick is posted in the PAW thread, it may not be edited or deleted.

Players that decide to delete their PAWs will suffer a penalty of being defaulted from that particular tournament and will serve a one month ban from playing PAW (the only exception of 1 month ban is for players playing their first tournament).

Players that commit this act twice are subject for a permanent ban from playing PAW.

The PAW managers frequently take copies of the thread text at regular intervals and the Picks are entered into a database.

Rule 6.3.2 Duplicate Accounts. Am I permitted to play under two or more accounts in PAW?

No, In order to retain the integrity and spirit of PAW, this is not allowed. Players that appear to be suspicious of having accounts transmitting from the same IP, will have their IP’s checked from the MTF.com webmasters and could risk being suspended in PAW. This is considered a form of cheating.

You must be a member on MTF, with a full account's activation.

Updated and Adapted from the Official Rules posted by Robuś. :worship:

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The following are not sanctioned but may come into effect in the future.

Rule 7: MANAGEMENT
This is just a marker in case the players would like to make rules for managing tournaments.

Rule 8: RANKINGS CO-ORDINATOR
This is just a marker in case the players would like to make rules for upkeep of Rankings.

Rule 9: BOARD
This is just a marker in case the players would like to make rules for Board members or voting on the Board.

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

Rule Change History:

This will be updated throughout the year to show a history of the proposals, voting and changes made to PAW here at MTF.

Rule changes 2019
There were no proposals or changes made for 2019.

Rule changes 2018
Those that were adopted by the players for 2018:
Rule 2.2 Wildcard restrictions have been relaxed. Players now receive 5 Wildcards per year. Voted 5-4 (Rule change accepted).
Rule 2.3 Wildcard restrictions have been relaxed. There will be no restriction to the number of Wildcards granted per tournament. Voted 6-3 (Rule change accepted).

Those that were voted to stay the same by the players for 2017:
1. Score Points calculations for players with Protected Ranking. Proposed to give PR players the ATP points of the player that is currently in the PR position. Voted 3-5 (Rule change defeated).
2. Commitments. Proposed to eliminate commitments altogether, just post picks to commit. Voted 1-7 (Rule change defeated).
3. Number of tournament to be played each week. Proposed to reduce the number of PAW tournaments each week to 1. Voted 2-7 (Rule change defeated).

Rule changes 2017
Those that were adopted by the players for 2017:
Rule 3.2 Making picks changed: “The only stipulation is that you may not make all of your picks in the same round” to “Allow all picks in the same round.”
Rule 5.2 Tie Break rule: changed from this unsanctioned rule:
1. The greater number of picks won. If there is still a tie then: 2. The lower number of picks lost. If there is still a tie then players will stay tied.
To:
1. The greater number of picks won. If there is still a tie then: 2. The lower number of picks lost. If there is still a tie then: 3. The best single pick, then the 2nd best pick, etc. If there is still a tie then players will stay tied.

Those that were voted to stay the same by the players for 2017:

Rule c
Rule d
Rule e
Rule f

Rule changes 2016
TBA - need to update this and below

Rule changes 2015
Rule 5.2 Tie-Break rule changed (not sanctioned) from this original rule: 1. The greater number of picks won. If there is still a tie then: 2. The greater points of a single pick. If there is still a tie then the greater second-best pick, and so on. ‘No pick’ will be considered better than ‘0 pts’. 3 If there is still a tie then players will stay tied.

Rule changes 2014

Rule changes 2013

Rule changes 2012

Rule changes 2011

Rule changes 2010

Rule changes 2009

Rule changes 2008

Rule changes 2007

Reactions: Wojtek

·
Registered
14,833 Posts

ok i just read it.

My suggestion :angel: if i'm wrong and against players voting i'm sorry and please just skip my post.

1. Commitments (1.1) for me it could be also picks - after draw was posted but before main draw start.
2. Deadline (1.3 rule) for me - deadline - first match of the main draw. Like in TT, you can send pms before match. I know it will be harder for manager but PAW is dying (like MTF) and i think we will have more players if we give them more time for commitments.
3. I would delete rule 2.3. :eek:
4. Rule 3.10 i would delete sentence about blocking other player because i think it's part of the game and strategy.

That's my opinions but i agree with everything that jervisjames posted.

Amazing job and big thank you

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

ok i just read it.

My suggestion :angel: if i'm wrong and against players voting i'm sorry and please just skip my post.

1. Commitments (1.1) for me it could be also picks - after draw was posted but before main draw start.
2. Deadline (1.3 rule) for me - deadline - first match of the main draw. Like in TT, you can send pms before match. I know it will be harder for manager but PAW is dying (like MTF) and i think we will have more players if we give them more time for commitments.
3. I would delete rule 2.3. :eek:
4. Rule 3.10 i would delete sentence about blocking other player because i think it's part of the game and strategy.

That's my opinions but i agree with everything that jervisjames posted.

Amazing job and big thank you
Thanks @Wojtek, I sent this to the board and had no suggestions re: changes.
1. and 2. can we discuss this in the Managers thread, not here. Remember though that we need to ensure 12 players have committed.
3. I haven't seen any changes to this rule over the past few years. Unless there's been an agreement among players with a poll, I don't think these rules can be changed, deleted, added, etc.
4. No trouble, I added that as an explanation of why the rule is there. So people don't need to question it every year. :lol: But I can certainly remove that extra information.

·
Registered
10,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Done :wavey:

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
c) Commitments are now in the thread the same system that is used in Tennis Tipping. The thread is opened 2 weeks before the tournament. The deadline closes when the first Main Draw match starts.
Rule 1.1: Commitments. OK, I would like to play, so what do I do now?

Well, you just need to go to the thread for the tournament you would like to play. In the tournament thread, you need to post: “I commit here” or “IN” or something like that, up until the cut-off date and time.
Please change that 'imperfect' (mildly speaking) rule, which usually exists only on paper and is not players friendly.
Just let players post picks in the tournament thread and when they do that after first match starts, they get WC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.