Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
9,505 Posts
Greece on it is a shame. As a Tsitsipas fan, i still rather see nations with two good players

Reactions: cpbdea

·
Premium Member
9,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greece on it is a shame. As a Tsitsipas fan, i still rather see nations with two good players
At least Sissy can have a competitive match with one of Nole Rafa Dominic or Daniil....

Latter can make the buzz.... and could be even more funny if third team of that group is Australia......
Imagine Kyrgios Medvedev and Sissy facing each other.... Bad guys in Melbourne Park...

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,289 Posts
Serbia Spain Austria Russia Greece Germany Argentina Italy Japon France Canada and Australia.

Surprised to see Japan in that list.... probably a wc or something....

La France parmi les douze pays qui disputeront l'ATP Cup en février
Could be off a strong showing last season. Nishioka really did well for them without Nishikori, making Nadal work hard. I guess they hope Kei will be in ok shape as well this time round, though I don't fancy their chances.

·
Premium Member
9,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be off a strong showing last season. Nishioka really did well for them without Nishikori, making Nadal work hard. I guess they hope Kei will be in ok shape as well this time round, though I don't fancy their chances.
With Nishikori 41 and Nishioka 56 I really wonder why they can have been selected according to normal ATP Cup rules....

Evans 32 and Edmund 48 was a more sexy team not even speaking about doubles.

Or Isner 25 and Fritz 29...

·
54,289 Posts
It seems Japan can enter due to a protected ranking of Nishikori.
Oddly enough Kei hasn't exactly had to use PR in recent years for most things (would qualify for most events anyway). This is one case where it applies in needed fashion.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Same with Austria. Who do they have, apart from Thiem? Dennis Novak? Many would not even know him, but for Djokovic.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Hate to admit it but Japan inclusion is likely a diversity pick to have an ‘Asian’ representative more than anything else.

·
9,505 Posts
Same with Austria. Who do they have, apart from Thiem? Dennis Novak? Many would not even know him, but for Djokovic.
True but he played well in it last year and is at least top 100

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Well Austria have several players in and around the top 100; Novak, Ofner, Rodionov whereas Greece's 2nd best player is 456 in the world. In the grand scheme of tennis, that difference is enormous.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Australia says

"are you ranked high enough to be in a grand slam qualifiers? yeah you can't come here, shipped off to the desert"

"are you some random guy from Greece? yes please come on in, your buddy Tsitsipas is worth too much $$$ to our made up tournament"

·
Registered
427 Posts
Greece prob shouldn't be included but who cares? It's just a fancy exhibition with some points & prize money and mostly just a preparation for the Aussie Open for the top players.

It's also an incredible opportunity for these lower-ranked guys from Greece and Austria or other countries with 2nd best players who are outside top 100 to take on bigger names in the sport and see how their games matches up to theirs, and a great learning experience regardless of what happens. It's nice seeing new names and underdogs fighting for their country, much like in DC.

For these guys it's a once in a lifetime opportunity thanks to this format and event, so just enjoy it instead of complaining about who should and shouldn't be entered. In the past, this tournament didn't even exist and it was always the same old traditional-type of tournaments that took place during the same week.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem with this tournament, like a Hopman Cup thing, a fun deal outside of things. but the fact it offers so much money AND POINTS is ridiculous. It literally should not exist. the organizers pretend it's important, so sad.

They kill the Davis Cup and bring this garbage in? WTF?

It just continues to benefit the top and make it harder for the lower.

Another pathetic creation from weasels in suits in buildings to buy condos on a higher level in their building.

JUST PLAY A NORMAL TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE

·
54,289 Posts
I wouldn't have a problem with this tournament, like a Hopman Cup thing, a fun deal outside of things. but the fact it offers so much money AND POINTS is ridiculous. It literally should not exist. the organizers pretend it's important, so sad.

Another pathetic creation from weasels in suits in buildings to buy condos on a higher level in their building.

I think they just want to entice some big players with this setup. Djokovic has never played a warmup tournament in Australia prior to AO. Likewise Nadal very rarely played in Brisbane. Really those who get to watch are spoiled for choice in getting to see so many top players in action.

Agreed though there is a discrepancy of available points.
Then you have the Laver Cup exho which is practically impossible for Team World to win even when they get slight chances, and then people lap up Federer and Nadal playing doubles together.

·
9,505 Posts

I dont know if im alone but i absolutely loved both ATP cup and New Davis Cup. Cool formats i thought. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The ITF runs Davis Cup (and OG) and destroyed it with the Pique Cup.

ATP Cup is another event which was a real success for its first edition.

Certainly there is one too much, as it was with ATP Masters and ITF Grand Slam Cup in 90's.

The allocation of points is also a conflicting matter between ATP and ITF, given the last OG and DC since 2015.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts