Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Note: This is I think the 2nd time I saw Elias play, after the 2nd Round match here in Portugal, against Volandri. This reaction may be seen as knee-jerk (which could probably be, hehe. :lol:) but from what I see this guy has huge potential IMO, so excuse some perceived OTT.)

Wow. What a crazy match. From what I see from Elias he really likes to go for his shots, and really making entertaining ones too, and he had nice touches. He wasn't able to find rhythm at the 1st Set -- Hanescu was solid (especially with his OHBH-DTL), while he was spraying errors to make "big shots". After being broken it just seemed he wasn't able to find momentum and got breadsticked.

Supposedly a good time to restart at the 2nd Set, but quite the same story. However, around probably the 1st time he won a game, he started to become more loose. Got a little bit more conservative and also played better at the net. During Hanescu's serve for the match at *5-2, he really gave it his all (and with a little Hanescu help, but I thought Elias really pressed him here) to get the break back by painting the lines with his Fognini-like backhand -- he actually reminds me of The Fog for some reason (especially the backhand, and some of his touches too), and not just because of the headband. :lol: He was returning very well that time too and did some of the most amazing shots of the tournament. He even saved a Match Point!

He broke back at 5-3*, but the test is whether he would falter or not -- he had the momentum, and I think he capitalized it by having a love game. *5-4 came for Hanescu, and from 30-15 I think, another miracle happened -- Elias came back! Drama too where there is one shot that could've been an Ace for 40-15, but it turned out to be OUT so they had to replay the point and Elias won it! Now Elias had a BP, and tried to capitalize on it. I think it was Deuce again, and there was Match Point again, but Elias was clutch and Hanescu was getting rattled by what happened. Another BP and Elias did the unthinkable -- leveling it to *5-5! Crazy stuff. Now, it is the moment of truth, but sadly Elias was back to being mental midgety again as he probably got mentally exhausted from his comeback. He got broken again with a very risky FH, which landed out. 3rd times the charm for Hanescu and won the Match.

I have to say Elias -- a 90's generation player, hence is a Young Gun, from what I see has so much raw potential on him. He has a Fognini like game about him, especially the backhand, and how he has a nice way of retrieving shots and the speed to get them were incredible! The touches he had was remarkable too which makes such an entertaining watch. I feel that he needs to find a very good coach soon (although I am not sure if he could afford it right now, seeing that he is not a tour mainstay yet), as I feel he has Top 20 talent actually. He just needs to find the right mentality and consistency which probably would grow in time.

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The crowd was amazing, especially in the 2nd set :worship:
It was crazy, although I felt it should've been louder -- the crowd (and Elias) where into it when he had the mini-comeback from 5-1*! :eek: I am kind of frustrated that after all that work he played a very nervy game at *5-5 :mad: but he was a mental midget at the start so having such a comeback is actually good progress for him. He was just mentally unprepared to follow up his comeback to possibly lead the Set -- who knows what would happen if he won that Set! :eek: That would probably be one of the best comebacks (or choke, based on how you see it :lol:) this year.

·
Registered
7,348 Posts
(Note: This is I think the 2nd time I saw Elias play, after the 2nd Round match here in Portugal, against Volandri. This reaction may be seen as knee-jerk (which could probably be, hehe. :lol:) but from what I see this guy has huge potential IMO, so excuse some perceived OTT.)

Wow. What a crazy match. From what I see from Elias he really likes to go for his shots, and really making entertaining ones too, and he had nice touches. He wasn't able to find rhythm at the 1st Set -- Hanescu was solid (especially with his OHBH-DTL), while he was spraying errors to make "big shots". After being broken it just seemed he wasn't able to find momentum and got breadsticked.

Supposedly a good time to restart at the 2nd Set, but quite the same story. However, around probably the 1st time he won a game, he started to become more loose. Got a little bit more conservative and also played better at the net. During Hanescu's serve for the match at *5-2, he really gave it his all (and with a little Hanescu help, but I thought Elias really pressed him here) to get the break back by painting the lines with his Fognini-like backhand -- he actually reminds me of The Fog for some reason (especially the backhand, and some of his touches too), and not just because of the headband. :lol: He was returning very well that time too and did some of the most amazing shots of the tournament. He even saved a Match Point!

He broke back at 5-3*, but the test is whether he would falter or not -- he had the momentum, and I think he capitalized it by having a love game. *5-4 came for Hanescu, and from 30-15 I think, another miracle happened -- Elias came back! Drama too where there is one shot that could've been an Ace for 40-15, but it turned out to be OUT so they had to replay the point and Elias won it! Now Elias had a BP, and tried to capitalize on it. I think it was Deuce again, and there was Match Point again, but Elias was clutch and Hanescu was getting rattled by what happened. Another BP and Elias did the unthinkable -- leveling it to *5-5! Crazy stuff. Now, it is the moment of truth, but sadly Elias was back to being mental midgety again as he probably got mentally exhausted from his comeback. He got broken again with a very risky FH, which landed out. 3rd times the charm for Hanescu and won the Match.

I have to say Elias -- a 90's generation player, hence is a Young Gun, from what I see has so much raw potential on him. He has a Fognini like game about him, especially the backhand, and how he has a nice way of retrieving shots and the speed to get them were incredible! The touches he had was remarkable too which makes such an entertaining watch. I feel that he needs to find a very good coach soon (although I am not sure if he could afford it right now, seeing that he is not a tour mainstay yet), as I feel he has Top 20 talent actually. He just needs to find the right mentality and consistency which probably would grow in time.
I thank you effort writing this message.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
OP summed up everything in a perfect way. :worship: I can just add I am proud for his fight in the 2nd. HUGE heart! Shame he woke up too late, but great week nontheless. Congrats to Hanescu, who was very solid and only started to make some erros closing the match. This match made me think this could be a different story if it was played on centralito. Hanescu would be much more pressured for sure.

Anyway, despite the fact Gastão is far behind in the ranks (top 180) he has 8 pts to defend until mid-September. I think he can reach top 100 in the end of the season. Was very important for him to defend all pts from last year Oeiras and he did just that. Now go get that dobles tittle to end this great week in a perfect way!

·
23,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:lol: Thanks. :) I mean it was like from the bits I see it was unreal how fast Elias got to those shots and the things he could do with the ball. He was making some impossible shots and is very underrated IMO. He needs a good guide right now as I do believe he could put it all together to become a very good player. He has the weapons, but he needs good mentality and tactics too.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
gastao :hug: but good week...

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
Massive, massive fail not scheduling this match on Centralito. The crowd at CC was alright, but centralito is basically a mini-football crowd eating the opponents of Portuguese players alive. Gastão in particular can really feed off that.

With that said, he still had a good week and should make top 100 this year if he stays healthy. Wish he and Sousa switched rankings, Gastão has an infinitely more interesting game and personality.

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
Massive, massive fail not scheduling this match on Centralito. The crowd at CC was alright, but centralito is basically a mini-football crowd eating the opponents of Portuguese players alive. Gastão in particular can really feed off that.

With that said, he still had a good week and should make top 100 this year if he stays healthy. Wish he and Sousa switched rankings, Gastão has an infinitely more interesting game and personality.
I was going to say this, but didn't want other people here to think I was giving some kind of excuse to today's loss, cause it wasn't the only reason. But this wouldn't be the score if the match was there. Even for experienced players like Hanescu, it would be a nightmare. GGL showed that yesterday...

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
I was going to say this, but didn't want other people here to think I was giving some kind of excuse to today's loss, cause it wasn't the only reason. But this wouldn't be the score if the match was there. Even for experienced players like Hanescu, it would be a nightmare. GGL showed that yesterday...
Yup, center court is filled with corporate idiots and a few people who appreciate tennis enough to fork out for the expensive tickets, today the atmosphere wasn't even bad but still...

On Centralito the Portuguese people is represented basically; most people there know shit about tennis, but they have no lack of enthusiasm and desire to support their own. Hanescu would have been facing the same football atmosphere GGL did vs Gastão yesterday and Gil in 2010, every first served missed, every unforced error celebrated as if it was a match point.

João Lagos isn't the most brilliant guy around though, last year he denied Sousa a wildcard, now anyone with common sense could tell you scheduling this match on Centralito would increase Gastão's chances massively but no...

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Stamina was also a factor here. Gastão played a CH final in Brazil right before flying to Portugal only to play two 3-setters + two doubles before this match. His tennis is very enjoyable, he's still young and hopefully can acheive good results in his career. Don't understand why this was on central and Robotnik match was on centralito.

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
Watched this in a state of not quite awake and not quite asleep, not as a cause of the match itself, which was interesting (I think).

Best I gathered from it was that Hanescu is the most zombifying man in Sports entertainment today.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I really like gastao's attitude on court, he fought for every points even when the score was 1-5 in the 2 set, what a warrior.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts