Mens Tennis Forums banner

Objectively speaking is #Nextgen any more talented than Generation Useless?

• #Nextgen is way more talented than Generation Useless

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • #Nextgen is more talented than Generation Useless

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • They are the same or close to equal

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Generation Useless is more talented than #Nextgen

• Geneartion Useless is way more talented than #Nextgen

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is not a fair comparison, but I wonder how Generation Useless matches up vs. #NextGen?

Generation Useless were hyped up to be the Newballs Generation at first having Nishikori, Dimitrov, Raonic , Janowicz , Goffin , Pospisil and few others. Given there was Nadal and Djokovic in amazing condition, but there was good number of youngish guys who looked prone to cause some damage.

Unfortunately for all of them , things never panned out. Most of them got destroyed playing Djokovic and Nadal and even old man Federer whooped most of them. Maybe they were never talented enough in the first place to really do any damage, but Nadal and Djokovic went on a rampage from 2012-2016 and picked up a lot of slams and rarely were bothered by any of Generation Useless.

#NextGen is now coming to fruition around the tail end of Djokovic , Nadal and Federer's career. They have accrued more wins against the big three and are poised to continue to do so. They have picked up Masters , made it decently far in GS and are pretty diverse.

Tsitsipas measured all court , limbo like volleys , focused game
Medvedev - Amazing movement and flexibility and stamina , with unorthodox strokes.
Shapavolov - Energizer Bunny , jumping backhand mad lad.
Sinner- Berdych like quality strokes and focused cool game plan.
Zverev - Talented but bizarre game plan when a brat, but talented shotmaker when on.
Kyrgios - no explanation needed
etc.

Look, I get that a lot of Generation Useless was injured and missed out on some tennis, but they still have had plenty of chances to make something happen and win matches (against the Big three)

So what do you think MTF? The floor is yours.

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I think NG are better adapted to modern tennis (in lost gen you have what, a couple S&V players albeit a damn good ones in fast courts, Goffin who is from another era, Glassikori), NG are phisically stronger , athletic , less injury prone , better on the mentality department , I don't know if that equals to more talented but they as a group are definitely stronger now than LG.

If tennis was played more in faster conditions then in my opinion Lost Gen is more talented, a healthy Nishikori is more talented than any of NG , however that's not the case .

Reactions: Kowchi

·
Banned
3,274 Posts
My favourite player is Zverev, so I may be a little biased. But yes -- I think they match up better against the top guys and when in peak form, have the game to beat the best on occasion.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Generation Useless were hyped up to be the Newballs Generation at first having Nishikori, Dimitrov, Raonic , Janowicz , Goffin , Pospisil and few others. Given there was Nadal and Djokovic in amazing condition
#NextGen is now coming to fruition around the tail end of Djokovic , Nadal and Federer's career

/

·
Premium Member
11,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Is that the sole reason though? Do you think they are the same?

I think that NextGen as a whole is objectively more talented than Generation Useless.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Most of nextgen are just talentless robotic ball strikers (robotic as in game wise, not emotion) with no variety and no clue how to volley. Zverev, Medvedev, Khachanov, etc. all fit that description. Generation useless had the game to beat big 3 but had shit mentality and either choked or bent over when facing them while next gen doesn’t seem to fear the big 3 and at least gives them a run for their money most of the time.

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
Zverev, talented shotmaker when on?

Have you ever seen Zverev when on? Not what one would refer to as a talented shotmaker, really

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
Anyway the upcoming gen is one of the most loaded of any sport ever, so yeah they're more talented.

Tsitsipas, Medvedev, Sinner, Alcaraz, Aliassime, Musetti, Khachanov, Rublev, Zverev..

Reactions: Kowchi

·
|
15,350 Posts
These current young stars aren't even facing prime Rafa, and they still can't beat him at the slams....so they are not as good as the previous generation of challengers.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Tsitsipas is head and shoulders above the rest, talent wise. Who knows whether he has the mentality to haul in as many titles as he should. Otherwise, not much difference between the two Gens. Both simply not good enough and handing Nadovic a vulture-feast of Slams.

·
Premium Member
11,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Zverev, talented shotmaker when on?

Have you ever seen Zverev when on? Not what one would refer to as a talented shotmaker, really
Hey there was Lendl Zverev who won WTF 2018 , same Masters 1000 Zverev who can look pretty impressive and not push. 80% of the other times he is Pushrev

·
Registered
329 Posts
Difficult to gauge, but players like Zverev and Medvedev definitely seem like more rounded players than Cilic, Dimitrov etc. However I really don’t think gen useless were as bad as their records would suggest, I just think that cos they were always stopped by the big 3/4 they never got a chance to develop a winning mentality, so always went into their biggest matches expecting to lose, whereas Zverev, Tsitsipas etc. are developing at a time when the big 3 can’t dominate the whole tour like they used to.

·
Registered
17,825 Posts
Hey there was Lendl Zverev who won WTF 2018 , same Masters 1000 Zverev who can look pretty impressive and not push. 80% of the other times he is Pushrev
Sure, but he didnt really butter his bread being a talented shotmaker.. it was more brutal serving + brilliant consistent depth

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
Tsitsipas is head and shoulders above the rest, talent wise. Who knows whether he has the mentality to haul in as many titles as he should. Otherwise, not much difference between the two Gens. Both simply not good enough and handing Nadovic a vulture-feast of Slams.
Shapovalov is at least as talented as Tsitsipas. Then you have the likes of Sinner with a form of talent that could be compared to someone like Djokovic.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Shapovalov is at least as talented as Tsitsipas. Then you have the likes of Sinner with a form of talent that could be compared to someone like Djokovic.
Although I'm biased, I think Shapovalov is the most talented of the lot. That doesn't mean that I'm confident Shapo will actually fulfill his talent - because he has yet to show enough consistency, and he often plays a low margin, risky game. Despite that, he does have a positive H2H against Zverev, Tsitsipas, Medvedev and Rublev - and despite being younger than all of them. But he has played way below his best when playing against Djokovic (like the Paris final) and Federer. But to answer OPs question - #NextGen - over all - are more talented than the "lost gen".

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Apart from a flashy backhand, I don't see it that way. And the Big 3 take Tsitsi way more seriously than Shapo. Sinner doesn't have many weapons from what I've seen. There's only one multi-Slam winner from NextGen and that's the Greek imo.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts