Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know which hotel the players are staying during USO?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,332 Posts
Groupie alert!! :p



Honestly no idea have you tried the website they usually have those things (BTW you probably already have)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,866 Posts
Someone asked this question last year, and got no answer. Since its a slam, I believe the players can stay wherever they want to. Some stay at the hotels that are within walking distance of the tennis center, some stay at hotels along the Subway line, and some stay in the Manhattan area. Let us know if you see any of them.
 

·
F***ing have it
Joined
·
17,627 Posts
Nimomunz said:
Groupie alert!! :p



Honestly no idea have you tried the website they usually have those things (BTW you probably already have)
:p you beat me, but i think this is gay groupie alert ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
As a security measure, they use several hotels as the "official" hotels. As Fee says, the players are free to go where they want to, though. In past years, the Parker Meridien was one of the most popular official hotels, and if you just sat in the lobby (at least until security threw you out), you could see loads of players come in and out. But I don't know if it's still on the list. These days, the players almost always stay on secured floors, or in secured areas, anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alfonsojose said:
:p you beat me, but i think this is gay groupie alert ;)
Yes that is exactly what this is :rolleyes:

No seriously if i decide to go there i would like to meet some players,to get signatures,pictures etc.
So if anyone know please help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Come on,surely someone who has been there before knows something?!
In AO most of the players stay at Hyatt hotel,could it be the same hotel in NYC?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
771 Posts
In 2001 - Intercontinental was a Player Hotel, Lexington Avenue. - also 3 other hotels in the same road had players coming and going - the local deli did really well that fortnight....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,866 Posts
I'm staying at the W on Lexington (I think). If you catch me, I'll be happy to give you a photo and autograph.

{of course that's a joke :D }
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
On my way to work today, I walked passed the Parker Meridian Hotel on 57th street between 5th and 6th, and there were 30+ players and coaches outside, waiting for some kind of transportation to the Tennis Center.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
Fee said:
Someone asked this question last year, and got no answer. Since its a slam, I believe the players can stay wherever they want to. Some stay at the hotels that are within walking distance of the tennis center, some stay at hotels along the Subway line, and some stay in the Manhattan area. Let us know if you see any of them.

I can't think of any hotels that are within walking distance of the tennis center (I live here) . . . Flushing Meadows is in the middle of Queens between two major highways and in the middle of a low-income area of mostly immigrants. Even in Forest Hills, there aren't any hotels. Great restaurants and shopping but not a hotel.

The two major attractions near Flushing Meadows are LaGuardia Airport (loud!) and Shea Stadium (ugly as sin). Gotta figure the players with any kind of bucks get apts and the others pay exorbitant rates at the hotels mentioned earlier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,044 Posts
tennisman. said:
Come on,surely someone who has been there before knows something?!
In AO most of the players stay at Hyatt hotel,could it be the same hotel in NYC?
a lot stay there but not all. it's different as well because Melbourne Park is so close to the CBD that you can walk from the hotels the grounds in ten minutes unlike Flushing Meadows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,866 Posts
boliviana said:
I can't think of any hotels that are within walking distance of the tennis center (I live here) . . . Flushing Meadows is in the middle of Queens between two major highways and in the middle of a low-income area of mostly immigrants. Even in Forest Hills, there aren't any hotels. Great restaurants and shopping but not a hotel.
This was posted in the tournament forum, in response to one of my posts. Is this information incorrect?

>>>>The Ramada Plaza Hotel at 37-10 114st Queens/Laguardia, NY 11368 is within walking distance to the Open. It's about a 15 minute walk to the National Tennis Center, i think that hotel is a safe choice. However, the rates do start at 170.

The Best Western (Eden Park Hotel) 113-10 Horace Harding Expressway in Flushing, is half a mile from the Tennis Center so its within walking distance. The rates start at 129. I think it also offers a continental breakfast. <<<<
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
You're right about the hotels . . . I forgot about them and I was thinking about tennis players with money who would prefer to stay in "the city" versus next to a really loud airport.

You can walk from those hotels I guess but you have to cross highways, etc. Flushing Meadows is on the other side of the Grand Central Parkway from the first hotel and from the second one, it wouldn't be necessarily the easiest walk . . . as with all things in NY anything is possible but you have to pick and choose what you want . . . there are walkways across the Grand Central but you have to get to them and that might mean going out of your way a lot (i.e., beware of their description of time and distance) . . . the 7 train stops right there and that is THE best bet for getting there. The hotels closest to the Center may have shuttles those two weeks . . .

WARNING: DO NOT BRING BAGS TO THE OPEN . . . THEY WILL TAKE THEM AWAY AND MAKE YOU PUT YOUR THINGS IN A CLEAR PLASTIC BAG . . . PUT MONEY AND CELL IN POCKET . . . CARRY CAMERA . . . NO KNAPSACKS ALLOWED. LAST YEAR IT WAS BAD AND I CAN'T IMAGINE IT WILL BE ANY BETTER THIS YEAR . . . AND BRING LOTS OF MONEY $$$$$$ . . . WATER IS LIKE $4 A BOTTLE . . .
 

·
Blown Out On the Trail
Joined
·
62,739 Posts
Obviously, you carry a water bottle to a tennis tournament and fill it up at the water fountains. Every tournament I've been to charges outrageous amounts for bottled water.

I wonder if you could take a clear plastic tote in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
Fee said:
This was posted in the tournament forum, in response to one of my posts. Is this information incorrect?

>>>>The Ramada Plaza Hotel at 37-10 114st Queens/Laguardia, NY 11368 is within walking distance to the Open. It's about a 15 minute walk to the National Tennis Center, i think that hotel is a safe choice. However, the rates do start at 170.

The Best Western (Eden Park Hotel) 113-10 Horace Harding Expressway in Flushing, is half a mile from the Tennis Center so its within walking distance. The rates start at 129. I think it also offers a continental breakfast. <<<<
I honestly can't believe any player would stay at either of these hotels. They're in Manhattan, or at rented homes on LI. And no one walks any further then the train/subway station or a parking lot to the USO.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top