Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Honestly Roger will certainly win more slams but you have to be delusionnal to think he will have another shot at the calendar Grand Slam. And this in my opinion, speaks volume on Laver's achievement. OK it was a different time etc. but still, to put up together 4 slam vicories in 12 months including clay and grass, the 2 opposite surfaces, is a huge achievement. If Roger wasn't able to make it (he was 2 sets away from it in 2006 and 2007...), that has to be very tough. I don't see him do this one with more slam contenders and time taking its toll. Your thoughts ?

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
I thought Djokovic was a certainty to win the golden slam this year.

·
Registered
27,276 Posts
I thought Djokovic was a certainty to win the golden slam this year.
He is. Anybody who thinks otherwise is seriously deluded.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,408 Posts
Djoko this year will make the golden slam, will win the Davis Cup and the most important of them all, The Battle of Surfaces

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Rafael will dominate on clay for at least the next three years. I can't see Roger losing at Wimbledon in the next two.

I think the next calendar Grand Slam will happen to an unknown up-and-coming player or someone who is yet to pick up their first racquet.

Cant see it happening in this generation of players.

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
Black & White tennis doesnt count

cannot compare the game back then to now

·
Banned
95,412 Posts
finally Lee :woohoo:

i'm sure you would also agree that Rod Laver from the black and white era with a wooden racquet would beat Djokovic as well !!

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Laver? Pfft.

Beating scrubs like Roche, Rosewell, Newcombe and Ashe!

Mug era. :angel:

·
Registered
22,082 Posts
Black & White tennis doesnt count

cannot compare the game back then to now
Well the thing is, those guys never had the opportunity to play tennis like guys like Agassi, Sampras, Federer etc. because of the technology, change in balls obviously so you always have to include them in a discussion like this although they played nothing like the guys in this era.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some things are still comparable: the time frame is the same (12 mnths), you still have to win RG and Wimby back-to-back, and clay and grass were much more opposite than today. Laver must have had a huge pressure when US Open started. It was Open era. Still a freaking achievement in my book. I thought Fed could do it with such versatility and dominance, but we will wait a couple more decades.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts