Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which do you think was Novak's most unexpected title in 2011 so far?

• Australian Open

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • Dubai

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indian Wells

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Miami

• Belgrade :oh:

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Madrid

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • Rome

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • Wimbledon

Votes: 46 47.4%
  • Montreal

• US Open

Votes: 2 2.1%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll say Wimbledon, especially after that loss in RG I thought he would lose steam for the year, but he proved me wrong. But I would say Madrid was a close second for me, I really did not expect him to take out Nadal on clay.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Belgrade for sure :shrug:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
at the time... rome. everyone, including me, expected nadal to take over on clay.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Madrid.
90% of people thought his incredible straight would end in his first clay meeting with Nadal this season but instead of that, Djoker shoked everyone beating the clay god in straight sets!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Wimbledon, of course.

I think just Stich and Agassi won their first ever grasscourt title at Wimbledon.

Usually Wimbledon winners have either won something on grass or reached a previous Wimbledon final before finally winning the Wimbledon title.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Rome, Madrid is Madrid its a joke, but Rome is different. It's a proper clay court and for him to routine a fit Nadal, very rare and impressive tennis.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
My first thought was Wimbledon but after thinking about it for a bit it's probably Madrid or Rome. For him to actually defeat Nadal on clay was more surprising than Djokovic winning Wimbledon after he had already been so dominant the first half of the year. And especially for Djokovic to defeat Nadal in back to back finals on clay in without dropping a set was quite shocking.

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
By far Wimbledon. Even at his best I thought he would struggle against the top players on grass assuming they played well but hey he proved me wrong thankfully. :)

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
Obviously Australian Open. After that, it became very clear he'd win everything else there is.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Wimbledon, where he delivered his wobbliest GS performances.
Rome was also surprising, especially after that SF escape act.

·
Banned
9,580 Posts
if federer's loser opponents can declare federer the best on all surfaces and best of all time, djokovic never surprises with any title.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
None... I knew he would reach the road to slam titles after the 5 set victory over Federer last year, that was the major turning point in his career. The only thing I did not know was that he'd have a ridiculous streak like this.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
It is clearly between Wimbledon and Rome for sure. Wimbledon, because after his loss to Roger at RG, he didn´play any grass court matches before Wimbledon and grass was always his worst surface, i mean before Wimbledon i am not sure if he wasn´t 3rd fav after Fedrer-nadal by bookies, and Rome,because he played that long exhausting battle with Andy and next day was playing Rafa at ,,normal,, clay. Actually Madrid wasn´t so surprising for me, because it was clearly fast clay tournament and even in 2009 old Nole push Rafa to his limits at Madrid fast clay courts, so i was expecting that Madrid is 50-50 between him and Rafa, while before Rome everybody was expecting Rafa to finally kick his ass.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts