Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Novak: "Winning titles and keeping the #1 ranking are no longer my priorities"

As you know, Novak called for a Press Conference today in Belgrade and basically told the journalists that he was feeling too much pressure after winning Roland Garros and he didn't like it. He wants to recover his enjoyment of tennis. He doesn't want to play just to win titles and keep the #1 more weeks: he needs to find his love of the sport again.

I think many factors are involved: his marriage, his family, his meditation, his age, his injuries, his loss at the olympics, the pressure to make history, the lack of recognition from the western media... Novak is finding his way.

As you can imagine, #nolefam is worried, haters celebrating. :lol:

Here is a very good article about it: very insightful and positive. Enjoy. :)

Djokovic in Soul-Search Mode - Tennis Now

·
Registered
890 Posts
Re: Novak: "Winning titles and keeping the #1 ranking are no longer my priorities"

Well, it seems that he needs some clarity about something (potentially few things) - and one for certain: What are his tennis goals.
I hope he finds that clarity - it shouldn't be that difficult (but what do I know, right?)...

Here's an idea: If you're not clear now - focus at task at hand... get those numbers where we all know they can go, achieve the full potential of "this boring, maybe purposeless reality" - and then sit down and write memoires about your search for the "meaning of life"...

Devoting yourself to spiritual searches and "higher meanings" is a great idea - but it should not be an excuse, because one feels a bit anxious (about few things).
Someone should remind him that retiring at 34-35 with few bucks in the bank, with a young&healthy son, is not the worst thing that can happen to a young man - and it leaves him with quite some time to do whatever he wants... But by then, those things will probably sort them self out.

Anyways - I wish him all the best - and as someone already mentioned - maybe he can re-thing the "talking thing"... it probably does not help much.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Novak: "Winning titles and keeping the #1 ranking are no longer my priorities"

I agree with you, but only to certain extent.

This is vintage Novak: a complex, introspective individual, in spite of his extroverted personality.

He's not unidimensional like so many others, and that is a blessing and a burden. I believe he will come out of this stronger, with more purpose. And having told the Serbian journalists to get off his back, because he's not interested in winning, he may find himself liberated and more relaxed.

I guess we shall see. :)

His meditation, though, if it helps, so be it... But it may prove a hindrance.

Interesting times. :p

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
There is all the time in life for this soul searching...And if he continues it he will surely be in a long list of people who quit way too young and regretted it terribly later..

Borg..Wilander...Ronaldinho ...Mc Enroe..

The quest for spiritual peace,which will lead him to nowhere,at this point,will be far more painful than supressing those temporary regressive emotion and getting back at what he is supposed to do..Become GOAT...

As it is..those quests has already costed him some grand slams..

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

Is Novak still in the list for Shanghai?

There is all the time in life for this soul searching...And if he continues it he will surely be in a long list of people who quit way too young and regretted it terribly later..

Borg..Wilander...Ronaldinho ...Mc Enroe..

The quest for spiritual peace,which will lead him to nowhere,at this point,will be far more painful than supressing those temporary regressive emotion and getting back at what he is supposed to do..Become GOAT...

As it is..those quests has already costed him some grand slams..
If he can find peace without any additional slam, who are we really to judge. I guess in the end as a fan, there is as much we can demand from him tennis wise. I know I would be disappointed knowing the opportunity given and his talent, but it's his life anyway.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

He is the most talented player I have ever seen, when all things are considered: the mental, the physical, the emotional, the strategic, the execution aspects of the game. I would love to see numbers reflect that fact...but if not...so be it. He has already achieved much more than i ever thought... I will not judge him. :p

i think, though, that if he goes off on his meditation-religious quest, he'll be back in no time, wanting to win again.

In any case: he plays tomorrow in Shanghai. I see no thread for that, so I'll cheer for him here, while somebody posts a cheering thread. :)

He plays Fognini at 6pm local, 5 am my time. I'll be up early tomorrow. :lol:

Ajde, Nole! Hang in there for the year-end #1 at least! :lol:

:cheerleader: :cheerleader:

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This is the last match I watch in almost a month:I'll be on holiday and won't have access to matches: my mother in law doesn't vene have WIFI :lol:

I am glad Novak won and I hope he finds his joy in China. I will be rooting for Nole. I'll be back for the Paris final. Hopefully with Novak. :lol:

Talk later, my fellow Nole fans. :)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

This is the last match I watch in almost a month:I'll be on holiday and won't have access to matches: my mother in law doesn't vene have WIFI :lol:

I am glad Novak won and I hope he finds his joy in China. I will be rooting for Nole. I'll be back for the Paris final. Hopefully with Novak. :lol:

Talk later, my fellow Nole fans. :)
See you later Yolita!

Djokoland is completely deserted post RG :lol: No one is even bothered to open his Shanghai thread.
He did well today against Pospisil, I hope he can secure YE1 by winning his third Shanghai title here

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
This is the last match I watch in almost a month:I'll be on holiday and won't have access to matches: my mother in law doesn't vene have WIFI

I am glad Novak won and I hope he finds his joy in China. I will be rooting for Nole. I'll be back for the Paris final. Hopefully with Novak.

Talk later, my fellow Nole fans.
See you later Yolita!

Djokoland is completely deserted post RG
No one is even bothered to open his Shanghai thread.
He did well today against Pospisil, I hope he can secure YE1 by winning his third Shanghai title here
I am still shaken by his Post Rg endeavors..Never expected it.

Anyways today..he looked purposeful and sharp just like Old times..

·
Registered
14,400 Posts

Djokoland is completely deserted post RG :lol: No one is even bothered to open his Shanghai thread.
Maybe some are scared to open it because the previous 2 threads have gone wayward. :shrug:
Yet I feel some strong will again in Nole like in Toronto.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

Did you watch Novak today? Such a troll :lol:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

Given that we didn't have the thread for Shanghai and there isn't a lot of people commenting maybe we could have a joint thread for Paris -WTF insinstead of separate ones ?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

Oh my, the title of this thread cannot be more spot on. I dont know and I dont like this Novak

·
Registered
791 Posts

what was that match? :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

And an even bigger one today, RBA was totally there for the taking .

We'll have to get used to this , it's natural that this sort of loses will occur more oftenly in the future. The only thing I don't like about this it's that it was all about him, it's not like RBA even outplayed him (Djoko had more winners and still lost when was the last time this happened :lol: ) . I expected that RG will affect him in some way (hoped it would be good) but injury or not he's been completely mentally gone for the past few months.

·
Registered
14,400 Posts

Calm down, I wrote that before the M. Zverev match.
Maybe the will is not anymore strong in him, but he should rediscover it soon. He should defend Bercy and WTF title (with possible 3 RR wins!) if he should remain YE#1. And I am certain that he wants it deep inside.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

The attitude has been really strange, reaaallly. Smiling too much on court and ripping his shirt? I just hope he sort his shit as soon as possible. God forbid Andrew Murray becoming YE1. Imagine the tabloid headlines in UK :lol:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

Anyone up for opening a thread ?

If nobody wants to do it I will open a joint Paris/WTF one .

*Also what happened that DjokerforCYGS got banned :eek: .

·
Registered
9,235 Posts

Novak will be in Paris without Vajda and Becker.
Instead, that new age douche Pepe Imaz will be there.
Ceterum censeo...

·
Registered
1,441 Posts

It's safe to say byebye to YE1 with the way Novak has been acting so far, I suppose? Pretty frustrating as a fan, to be honest. But oh well it's only tennis, it doesnt affect my life, only my mood a bit :p

Anyone up for opening a thread ?

If nobody wants to do it I will open a joint Paris/WTF one .

*Also what happened that DjokerforCYGS got banned :eek: .
Please do it.

I have seen enough from DjokerforCYGS to know that he'd normally tiptoe perfectly to troll but not to get banned. Unlike tennisfan3.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts