Mens Tennis Forums banner

In what position will Novak end up in?

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are roughly 4 weeks away from Novak Djokovic surpassing nadal in weeks at #1.

Novak currently has 138 to nadal's 141. On the 13th of April Novak will have 142 weeks at #1 climbing up to #6.
Novak will then set his sights on Mcenroe with 170 weeks.

In what position do you think Novak will end up in and with how many weeks?

·
Registered
11,827 Posts
So what?

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
He'll end up at #1.

·
Premium Member
29,587 Posts
Doesn't matter. Nadal is still the best #2 ever

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
I think he will almost certainly pass McEnroe. But whether or not he can get past Connors/Lendl is hard to say. Given Novak's consistency it is doable.

·
Registered
14,348 Posts
Federer's mark is completely possible for him unless another #1 candidate emerges in the next few years or Nadal suddenly starts winning hard court events again like he did in 2013. He's going to end up in the mid to high 200s at the least.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts
That's a pretty useless stat because it isn't an objective display of a players worth when you considering the strength of era they're #1 in.
Novak still has a lot to do to surpass Nadal realistically but I believe he can do it. He just needs to show up at those slams. The next 3-4 years is the time he can make history.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
That's a pretty useless stat because it isn't an objective display of a players worth when you considering the strength of era they're #1 in.
Novak still has a lot to do to surpass Nadal realistically but I believe he can do it. He just needs to show up at those slams. The next 3-4 years is the time he can make history.
It isn't a useless stat, it is what it is. Djokovic is carving out an incredibly consistent career that for him touchwood hasn't had many injury breaks. That is what being #1 shows. Whilst Nadal has obviously reached the highest heights more often (14 slams to 8) he has very rarely put a whole great 12 months together because of loss of form and injuries.

·
Premium Member
9,004 Posts
It won't make him better than Nadal though.

·
Federer Fan & Dull Hater
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It isn't a useless stat, it is what it is. Djokovic is carving out an incredibly consistent career that for him touchwood hasn't had many injury breaks. That is what being #1 shows. Whilst Nadal has obviously reached the highest heights more often (14 slams to 8) he has very rarely put a whole great 12 months together because of loss of form and injuries.
Nice point.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
It won't make him better than Nadal though.
That alone won't, but neither players career is over yet. Djokovic is entering an era where there doesn't seem to be anyone able to challenge him right now, he'll likely feast on the competition. I don't see him losing his #1 ranking at this year, unless he sustains a major injury soon that keeps him out for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Who cares? ATP ranking system and rules are a joke. I lost faith in it when Olderer became No.1 in July, 2012, winning 1 slam and reaching 1 other slam final, in the 2 and a half years period prior to attaining the No.1 ranking while Rafa, who won 5 slams and reached 3 other slam finals during the same period, was pushed to No.3 ranking.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
The same could be said of grand slam count, or masters, or pretty much any other "objective" stat in the sport. It's not conclusive but that doesn't make it useless either.

·
Registered
8,327 Posts
Who cares? ATP ranking system and rules are a joke. I lost faith in it when Olderer became No.1 in July, 2012, winning 1 slam and reaching 1 other slam final, in the 2 and a half years period prior to attaining the No.1 ranking while Rafa, who won 5 slams and reached 3 other slam finals during the same period, was pushed to No.3 ranking.
Rankings are based on 12 months not 30 so why you would have any objections to someone who won a slam in those 12 months is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
14,827 Posts
Rankings are based on 12 months not 30 so why you would have any objections to someone who won a slam in those 12 months is beyond me.
Because it doesn't make Nadal the best.

Reactions: JediFed

·
Registered
262 Posts
:worship:

:superlol:

1 - 20 of 184 Posts