Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The one thing about this whole USO Djokovic clusterfuck has me wondering how many people really differentiate or believe there CAN or IS a difference between a player in battle/match vs. the same player off court/a person. Because all you hear from the other fandoms and media is how "he is a really bad guy" now. I know it's all still fresh and will blow away soon, but has me wondering.

Because looking at Djokovic, that difference is pretty distinctive. Off the courts he is "full of love, spread peace, help children, build schools, better the world" but on court – he is a fierce animal that only has set out goals in his sights. I know a lot of people find this confusing and/or unacceptable and believe the actions on court should reflect his demeanour in real life. Media and sponsors especially, they want the cookie cut sellable marketing persona that can bring in the most money. But then Tiger Woods's and Colin Kaepernick's happen and it all falls apart.

I personally don't think that him reflecting his guru persona on court would yield him anything more than a couple of GS. I believe the fighter/robotic/terminator persona is far more beneficial to him as a sportsman to let the image of "his bad behaviour" impact it to change.

Therein lies the danger of the past incident. Him trying to control his natural fighter impulses (which to be honest are almost always directed to himself) will castrate the animal he is, and leave him flaccid. And that even if you don't like his demeanour on a personal level (which sometimes neither do I as his fan), you'll still have the admiration and the respect from a professional standpoint. Which down the line is all that really matters. The results. Nobody talks, remembers or is in awe about that "nice and kind guy that used to play the game".

What other players have had that major distinction between of on/off court persona? And please, let's not go into the whole debate of who is "faking/fraud-ing" it.

·
justice for all
15,150 Posts
For me it's very simple: I don't believe people can have different personalities on and off the court.
So if they behave or appear different they do it for some other reasons (usually PR related).

·
Premium Member
21,327 Posts
For me it's very simple: I don't believe people can have different personalities on and off the court.
On the court is literally do or die, i.e. you have to beat the other guy or you're out of the tournament. Off the court I doubt they get anywhere near that kind of situations. I do remember tho that someone from his circle said Novak hates losing, no matter if they are playing something stupid/for fun. :)

·
Registered
3,795 Posts
He grew up in very tough war torn conditions so he possesses a very ‘fighter’ like mentality. Coupled w/ this is that he’s had to play third fiddle & sort of ‘party crasher’ to the media darlings Fedal having arrived little later. Have no idea what he’s like in personal life but probably means he has to work harder than the others to control his temper on the courts.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the court is literally do or die, i.e. you have to beat the other guy or you're out of the tournament. Off the court I doubt they get anywhere near that kind of situations. I do remember tho that someone from his circle said Novak hates losing, no matter if they are playing something stupid/for fun. :)
I guess you have to be that way to get to the level that he or others like him are. If you watched the documentary about Jordan on Netflix (The Last Dance), there is tons of that there as well, him playing stupid games, tossing coins with the security personnel and getting into it with as much vigour as he's playing in the NBA Finals. And the guy was a genuine jerk on and off court. But in the end who cares, he is still regarded as the greatest player to play the game.

Reactions: sav001

·
Registered
16,310 Posts
So if they behave or appear different they do it for some other reasons (usually PR related).
Its interesting.

I used to kind of believe that. Someone said "on the court is where you truly show who you are.." but I dont think its that simple anymore.

Its just a different environment and mentality you adapt on court. In competition, battle.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Ok Imma stop annoying Nole fans a bit and be more serious. Come on he's not a bad guy :D He obvious didn't do what he had done on purpose, he didn't aim for the woman.
And the screaming near ball kids and the racket breaking? I consider myself a decent person (I'm not mother Theresa but I'm not a murderer as well), and I would be way worse, probably Paire level of anger on court. Those things don't make him a bad guy. People just expect famous personalities to be perfect and don't lose an opportunity to jump into those guys throats everytime they don't behave like we expect for them.
In the end he's just a cringe guy who wants to be loved who also plays boring tennis. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Djokovic's fighting spirit on court is certainly very admirable and has brought him many victories. But I think he should be able to maintain that without resorting to foul play or dangerous actions when things don't run smoothly. He doesn't need that. However, if he really feels he needs these bad manners to keep up his fighting spirit, so be it. He (and his fans) then should just not be surprised if he doesn't get everyobody's love, and if he occasionally is penalized or even defaulted.

·
justice for all
15,150 Posts
Its interesting.

I used to kind of believe that. Someone said "on the court is where you truly show who you are.." but I dont think its that simple anymore.

Its just a different environment and mentality you adapt on court. In competition, battle.
I sort of agree, but for me its difficult to draw the clear line between the two.

For example: do you think Novak's conversation with TD after he hit the lines woman was still part of on-court personality or already off-court? ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,828 Posts
Given how much is at stake (GOAT debate, Slam count, weeks as #1) and all the pressure he receives from his peers like Tipsarevic, who say that he will break all the records in that or that, fans and family, you could safely say it's all getting to his head for quite some time. Besides Corona pandemic didn't benefit him at all as he was close to bring home at least the weeks record this year and maybe even a possible CYGS (would have been one of the favs at RG in May and the top fav at Wimby) was on the cards, so I sense there is a general frustration in him with the whole situation and whole 2020 in general where I can relate.

Tennis break, all the blame for the Adria Tour, COVID infection; people have been moaning on mtf for much less this year. So I can understand his anger from this perspective, however, this is no attempt to justify his action since he has to maintain himself as a professional. Not the lineswoman, but he himself takes fully the blame for this 'incident' and it would be very good as #1 player, ATP Players Council president and co-founder of the PTPA to reiterate his apology at a press conference the next days. Doesn't matter where.

After all it was quite unlucky for him to hit her throat, but he should just take this as a lesson he failed to learn from in Paris or at the WTFs. His Slam winning days are far from over and the frequency of these repeated tantrums (as he had a few already in Cincy with abusing balls etc) probably emerged in the light of recent or this year's events. After all I don't see much of a difference between Novak as a person and Novak as a player since he is actually one of the most genuine players on court which is why so many fans love him.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
I like Djok the man more than Djok on court. I feel for Djok's "least loved" of the big 3 position, and I actually do like him, despite a few gaffes like holding that tournament during covid, Pepe etc. All forgivable.

What i don't like about Djok on court (and he paid for this at last!) is for a guy who wins almost all the time, he gets way too angry at small setbacks in a match. Like he's fuming if he gets broken! I don't mind some displays of anger or frustration, but Djok's seem out of line for his level of domination. Show some perspective Djok!

When Djok shed a tear at the FO when they gave him an ovation (as a loser in the final to Stan) I sqaw the soft side of Djok and i do like him. He just wants to be loved, like all of us.

·
Registered
16,310 Posts
I sort of agree, but for me its difficult to draw the clear line between the two.

For example: do you think Novak's conversation with TD after he hit the lines woman was still part of on-court personality or already off-court? ;)
That was just himself, but obviously in an emotional moment where I think any competitor would try to first off defend his actions and look for another solution than a default.

I dont think that conversation speaks poorly of him as a person. Any ATG in his position would try to make a case that benefits their stay.

Reactions: sav001

·
Registered
16,310 Posts
Given how much is at stake (GOAT debate, Slam count, weeks as #1) and all the pressure he receives from his peers like Tipsarevic, who say that he will break all the records in that or that, fans and family, you could safely say it's all getting to his head for quite some time. Besides Corona pandemic didn't benefit him at all as he was close to bring home at least the weeks record this year and maybe even a possible CYGS (would have been one of the favs at RG in May and the top fav at Wimby) was on the cards, so I sense there is a general frustration in him with the whole situation and whole 2020 in general where I can relate.

Tennis break, all the blame for the Adria Tour, COVID infection; people have been moaning on mtf for much less this year. So I can understand his anger from this perspective, however, this is no attempt to justify his action since he has to maintain himself as a professional. Not the lineswoman, but he himself takes fully the blame for this 'incident' and it would be very good as #1 player, ATP Players Council president and co-founder of the PTPA to reiterate his apology at a press conference the next days. Doesn't matter where.

After all it was quite unlucky for him to hit her throat, but he should just take this as a lesson he failed to learn from in Paris or at the WTFs. His Slam winning days are far from over and the frequency of these repeated tantrums (as he had a few already in Cincy with abusing balls etc) probably emerged in the light of recent or this year's events. After all I don't see much of a difference between Novak as a person and Novak as a player since he is actually one of the most genuine players on court which is why so many fans love him.
I didn't really see general frustration or any pressure...

I saw him less bothered than ever in Cincy and obviously in great form. He came back stronger from the break than what he played before.

He didnt even voice any frustration when things weren't going well in Cincy. He was at peace.

And he was ripping through the USO in sublime form.

It was really just that incident.

If he had been given a warning on the prior ball hit, I dont think he would have risked anything further. But who knows, its not like he aimed at the linejudge, maybe he would have been fine conceeding a point penalty for hitting the backstand.

Reactions: Phillo

·
Registered
962 Posts
not a bad guy. tries to do good. i don't have a problem with him having views about things outside of what's accepted by the mainstream. honestly i just think he lacks maturity for a 33 year old - on and off court.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
He needs to take a lead out of Murray’s book. Andy is the best fighter/competitor in tennis and he seems to manage to do it without slamming balls at Line Judge’s necks at 100 mph.

Thugovic could learn something from that.

·
Registered
16,310 Posts
He needs to take a lead out of Murray’s book. Andy is the best fighter/competitor in tennis and he seems to manage to do it without slamming balls at Line Judge’s necks at 100 mph.

Thugovic could learn something from that.
but he is constantly talking, swearing and in a bad mood lol

·
Premium Member
7,169 Posts
I have nothing but respect for Djokovic as a player. He is scary good. As a man, I think he is overall a good guy. Just because he has a temper during battle does not make him bad. The only things that irk me about him are some of his beliefs that I find weird. But that's about it. I probably would have supported him if GOATdal would have pursued football or fishing instead of tennis.

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
I don't think there is anything wrong with Djokovic, neither on court or off court. He made some mistakes, as we all do, that's it. I find him to be a good sport on court most of the time, certainly not less than either Nadal or Federer. When the stakes are as high as they are in proffessional tennis people tend to get frustrated and angry. This is not a big problem, until something like the Nalbandian-kicking incident or the recent Djokovic-lineswoman incident happens out of frustration. This does not make either of them bad people. It also does not make the DQ unjust or unfair.

I don't really like Djokovic as a player, but he is one of the greatest players of all time, so naturally I respect his skills. As a person, he seems to be a genuinely nice and fun guy.

Reactions: MWW and sav001

·
Registered
850 Posts
I don't think he's a bad person, but he is a very weird person with a lot of crazy and dangerous beliefs. Firing the ball around the court without looking where it's going is pretty indifferent to others, but he didn't mean to harm anyone. His COVID Tournament was much more reckless.

Reactions: Cloren
1 - 20 of 40 Posts