Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Banned
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And how does that affect Novak, if at all?
That seems to be getting talked about more and more.

(I'm not interested in discussing "why" here, because that's been debated at noseeum by so many thus far and holds [imo] zero value, and serves only as a springboard for bigotry, racism and generally to incite the lower instincts/urges in people)

But the debate is getting heated lately, clearly.

Not surprisingly, that does coincide with the fact that Novak is more and more perceived as the GOAT or as unstoppable, in the near future, GOAT.
First...
Is that really a true statement? Novak being less loved than Federer and/or Nadal?
I'd lean towards "true". When looking at the "traditional" tennis fandom - Nadal and Fed OWN the market in more than one way. EU, GB, US, Canada, Latin and South America... there's no way Novak's popularity can equal one of Fedal.
However, when it comes to Eastern/South Europe, Russia, China (good part of Asia too), India, etc - Novak seems to be on par or in the lead.
Bottom line - all things considered - the above statement still (imo) holds true, and by some margin.
I'm sure that conclusion can be supported by stats and numbers - e.g. marketing/endorsements, followers on socmed, etc etc. Although it can be clearly observed by watching the tournaments and the crowd support/sentiment.
Second...
Does that really matter?
I'd say that Novak was affected, in the negative way, by this since not so long ago, lets say until his exit from 2016 Olympics.
And that, as it was clearly detrimental in part - did still fuel his resolve and determination at least as much, if not more, as it was bothering him.
If the case was different, it would be difficult to guess what kind of impact that would have on Novak.
Ultimately, it seems (to me) to be a wash... Or a slightly positive from Novak's perspective.
For a player with a weaker character or ego - this would've been a huge challenge and a career-limiting situation.
Luckily for Novak - he's much stronger and tougher than anyone could've predicted in 2009 or so... And was able to turn this around to his favor. To make it work for him, not against him.
Finally - when all is said and done, when he's done with breaking all the records and winning everything one could win, and when he gets acknowledged as GOAT finally and unequivocally - we might conclude that the hate and the resentment he received from the Fedal's crowd only became his weapon to defeat and put Federer and Nadal in his rearview mirror.
I think Novak, getting older and more mature, is seeing this situation now in a very different light (in comparison to his early career) and at this point have a more curious and playful attitude and response to it, as opposed to craving a different setup. He's gotten hold of that beast and tamed it. It's his b*h now.

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
I think there is no doubt that he isn’t as loved as those two, but I also don’t think it really matters in the end.

Also try not to destroy the Phoenix Suns too badly tonight. ;)

·
Banned
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think there is no doubt that he isn’t as loved as those two, but I also don’t think it really matters in the end.

Also try not to destroy the Phoenix Suns too badly tonight. ;)
Suns tonight? I'd say it'll be "not too bad".

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
It's pretty obvious he isn't as loved as Fedal and at this point, at the final stage of their carrers, he will never be.

It seems to matter a great deal to him, judging from his excruciating efforts to be loved and his tantrums because he isn't. Also to his family, see Srdjan's rants, and to his tards, judging from their endless whining here.

The rest of us don't give a fuk.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's pretty obvious he isn't as loved as Fedal and at this point, at the final stage of their carrers, he will never be.

It seems to matter a great deal to him, judging from his excruciating efforts to be loved and his tantrums because he isn't. Also to his family, see Srdjan's rants, and to his tards, judging from their endless whining here.

The rest of us don't give a fuk.
I see that you're using "tards" quite frequently. Is there some issue that you're struggling with, and this helps?
On topic - I think that he expected to be accepted and appreciated - and when that didn't happen, he took it as any (or most) young person would.
However, At this point - I think he's past that and he's using it to his advantage. Makes things that much clearer and simpler for him.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
It doesn't matter. A human has no control as to who likes or loves him or who does not. Just go out, play your tennis, and win more titles. I want Rafa to do the same. Really, who cares!

On the other hand, Papa Djokovic, going by his recent interview, comes across as an illiterate, immature, insecure, and a glory hunting man. Money doesn't buy literacy, maturity, and class.

Reactions: Mimi

·
Banned
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't matter. A human has no control as to who likes or loves him or who does not. Just go out, play your tennis, and win more titles. I want Rafa to do the same. Really, who cares!

On the other hand, Papa Djokovic, going by his recent interview, comes across as an illiterate, immature, insecure, and a glory hunting man. Money doesn't buy literacy, maturity, and class.
I'm not sure why "Papa Djokovic" is so popular here. He doesn't play tennis, does he?
Starts to look like some people can't hardly wait to get something against Novak...
On the other hand - I've read that interview and what's being said there was very poorly translated and then misrepresented here. And again - why does Srdjan's opinion on anything matters so much here? Again, he's not a tennis player, is he?

And on topic - I agree with you. Who cares. Seems that Novak thinks exactly that at this point - and is using hostility and desperation thrown at him from the fedal base as a fuel. You know, salty tears... electrolytes.

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I'm not sure why "Papa Djokovic" is so popular here. He doesn't play tennis, does he?
Starts to look like some people can't hardly wait to get something against Novak...
On the other hand - I've read that interview and what's being said there was very poorly translated and then misrepresented here. And again - why does Srdjan's opinion on anything matters so much here? Again, he's not a tennis player, is he?

And on topic - I agree with you. Who cares. Seems that Novak thinks exactly that at this point - and is using hostility and desperation thrown at him from the fedal base as a fuel. You know, salty tears... electrolytes.
Papa Djokovic, Papa Federer, and Small Papa Toni are famous for a reason. Don't ask me why.

Playing tennis is not enough; Novak Djokovic must tell Papa Djokovic to just shut up and not open his mouth, because it is only dragging his popularity down and is not enhancing it.

Reactions: Bakano

·
Banned
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Papa Djokovic, Papa Federer, and Small Papa Toni are famous for a reason. Don't ask me why.

Playing tennis is not enough; Novak Djokovic must tell Papa Djokovic to just shut up and not open his mouth, because it is only dragging his popularity down and is not enhancing it.
Playing tennis is not enough!? Not enough for what!?
I thought this is a tennis forum.
But, if this is "more" than a tennis forum, and people feed on this stuff - then I hope Srdjan will do this more often and throw some more red meat to fedal base to gorge on it.

And I already commented about Novak's attitude towards "popularity" at this point.

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Playing tennis is not enough!? Not enough for what!?
I thought this is a tennis forum.
But, if this is "more" than a tennis forum, and people feed on this stuff - then I hope Srdjan will do this more often and throw some more red meat to fedal base to gorge on it.

And I already commented about Novak's attitude towards "popularity" at this point.
Joined 5 days ago.

Welcome to MTF. This is one of the most in depth and informative, but vile and loveable places that you cant stop coming back to.

In regards to your Eastern comparison.

He is looked as a god in Serbia, I don't think he is liked or cared about in Russia. Yes he is loved in China, maybe not the same as Federer. Liked in Japan and maybe respected in the rest of Asia.

India is Federer's hometown.

Yes you are right about fueling hatred = greatness. He wants to be loved, but he is secretly the bad guy and the anti hero. His team is the same way and he was raised under harsh conditions, so that is when he thrives. For example it could be his last retirement match at Wimbledon at the ripe age of 37 and he will be playing some 19 year old wild card and people will still cheer against him. People who support him will continue to do so and he will surpass everyone and break all records, minus RGs.

He will be the numerical GOAT but people will still find excuses to say that he is worse then Federer or Nadal.

Reactions: BodyServe

·
Banned
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Joined 5 days ago.

Welcome to MTF. This is one of the most in depth and informative, but vile and loveable places that you cant stop coming back to.

In regards to your Eastern comparison.

He is looked as a god in Serbia, I don't think he is liked or cared about in Russia. Yes he is loved in China, maybe not the same as Federer. Liked in Japan and maybe respected in the rest of Asia.

India is Federer's hometown.

Yes you are right about fueling hatred = greatness. He wants to be loved, but he is secretly the bad guy and the anti hero. His team is the same way and he was raised under harsh conditions, so that is when he thrives. For example it could be his last retirement match at Wimbledon at the ripe age of 37 and he will be playing some 19 year old wild card and people will still cheer against him. People who support him will continue to do so and he will surpass everyone and break all records, minus RGs.

He will be the numerical GOAT but people will still find excuses to say that he is worse then Federer or Nadal.
It's a fair comment.
Knowing a bit about Serbia and Serbs, and Novak looks more like a typical one than not - they play the cards they're dealt... Begrudgingly, but they embrace and spite the fatum at the same time...
You're right about thriving under harsh conditions, but maybe you'll be surprised to know that Serbs thrive much better in less adversarial realities. Alas, few got that chance so far.
Regarding records - It's a matter of health and time at this point. And I wish him all the health and luck there is.
BTW, all of my Russian and Jewish friends simply adore him... Same with Checzs, Slovaks, Romanians... But again - that's not even close to what Fedals are getting world wide.
Good luck to all 3, and as Novak said: "Let the better player win".

·
Registered
6,839 Posts
This topic is getting out of control. We know the answer already. Yes, many don't like the guy. Does that matter? Not really. The guy has a good life. He has a wife, kids, money to burn and talent to be the GOAT. And it's not as if he has no fans at all.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This topic is getting out of control. We know the answer already. Yes, many don't like the guy. Does that matter? Not really. The guy has a good life. He has a wife, kids, money to burn and talent to be the GOAT. And it's not as if he has no fans at all.
out of control!?
in what sense? People are talking, in a very civil manner, about a topic that was going around recently and still is as we can witness.
No one said that he has no fans - where did that come from?
So, what is bothering you? If it's not your cup of tea - don't engage.
We think it's something worth discussing.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It shouldn’t really matter but Djokovic, his family and a lot his fans really care too much about it
It doesn't matter. True.
Novak, and I'm happy about it, finally figured it out and is using it to his benefit.
However - family and fans see that as an undeserved hostility and an unfair treatment. Ultimately - it seems that lower instincts (racism, prejudice, xenophobia, etc...) prevailed within the fedal's base (not excluding the sports media and such), and that's a bit disgusting to see and difficult to acknowledge.
But hey, if Novak can use that manure to propel himself further, to fertilize his ambition - it's all good. Keep it up haters.
There can be but one GOAT. And that's Novak Djokovic. Period.

·
justice for all
17,979 Posts
It doesn't matter for anyone except himself and his fans.
Ironically I think it pushed him to greater success.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Would you rather be a truly genius, funny, supersuccessful player?
Or a badmouthing, obscenely pampered, constantly propagandized overrated player?
Or a tennis loser that does nothing except try to help the propagandized overrated player win and look far superior to the supersuccessful player?

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
It doesn't matter. True.
Novak, and I'm happy about it, finally figured it out and is using it to his benefit.
However - family and fans see that as an undeserved hostility and an unfair treatment. Ultimately - it seems that lower instincts (racism, prejudice, xenophobia, etc...) prevailed within the fedal's base (not excluding the sports media and such), and that's a bit disgusting to see and difficult to acknowledge.
But hey, if Novak can use that manure to propel himself further, to fertilize his ambition - it's all good. Keep it up haters.
Can you prove the Fedal fanbase is racist or xenophobic, Mr Higher Instincts? ?

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I think why it may matter to some fans is that people here have used the argument that if he has the same slams as Fedal, he wouldn't be GOAT because he isn't loved as much as Fedal.

From there, it gets into a slippery slope.

·
Banned
5,792 Posts
It doesn't matter. True.
LoL. Who was saying Srdjan should come to MTF?

1 - 20 of 89 Posts