Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
What else is new?

Breaking records is what Djoker does best!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Is he also the oldest player to win three straight GS tournaments in the Open Era? Anyways, lots of records being broken from now on: this win solidifies his position at the best AO player, it definitively places him above Sampras, it further improves his mediocre GS final win-loss ratio, and it improves his case as the hardcourt GOAT - to name the most relevant achievements coming off this win...

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
That's incredible, just awesome. The real question is 'Can Djokovic win the Holly Grail of all Grails? Yes, I'm talking about winning Grand Slam.

I feel I need to elaborate this to some newer members. That means winning all 4 majors in one calendar year. Many people still confuse majors and we have 4 of them a year with GS.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Technically he'd already done it, this is the fourth time

2011 W, 2011 USO, 2012 AO

2015 W, 2015 USO, 2016 AO

2015 USO, 2016 AO, 2016 FO

2018 W, 2018 USO, 2019 AO

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Just one more accolade on Nole's resume.
Just superb.
I can smell a 2nd Nole Slam coming.
And that will be his 2nd time winning 4 slams in a row which nobody has had so far, not even the mighty Laver!

Truly amazing times... :x

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Nadal has a chance at RG, albeit a smaller one now after the thumping. Then you have Zverev, Tsitsipas, Khachanov, Medvedev, etc. Don't forget he's not that young anymore.
This.

At this point it's not about one specific player stopping him but the field. I still think on average his chances of winning a match in a GS is lower than in 2015/2016. And if his winning chances drop just a little bit then the overall chance of him winning 7 matches in a row drop considerably.

It's also important to remember that this is the start of the season. I think it's easier for older players to dominate at the start of the season because they are fine physically after the off season and have a lot of experience. It's probably not a coincidence that Federer has started out amazing in both 2017 and 2018 and then slowly faded during the season. The older you get the harder it is to maintain a high level through an entire season. Djokovic also showed that last year and he even had a slow start to the season.

·
Registered
13,864 Posts
He's definitely got a great chance at every slam but it's important to remember Federer started last season well and he wilted towards the end (although he is older). The advantage Djokovic has is that he hasn't got a Djokovic of his own to come back later in the season and stop him. No one from the subsequent generation is there to stop him from winning this big events, at least consistently so.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
The advantage Djokovic has is that he hasn't got a Djokovic of his own to come back later in the season and stop him.
So you expect a young player who will win at least 16 majors to emerge now in the late 2010's? :laugh2:

Pretty amazing it would be but not happening. 0:)

·
Registered
13,864 Posts
So you expect a young player who will win at least 16 majors to emerge now in the late 2010's? :laugh2:

That's my point. He hasn't got anyone who can feasibly stop him on a consistent basis. A few different players can stop him separately at slams (very hard) but as far as
#1 goes, he's secure short of another brainfart year like 2017.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts

No-one, including biggest Novak's fans, dreamed of 15 GS titles back when he had zero or first few.
Some youngster might explode similarly like Novak did in 2011, but bottom line no need for anyone to win 16 mayors to stop Novak from winning future slams. Bad days happen, so better to lower the expectations and just enjoy one tournament at a time.

·
Registered
336 Posts
So you expect a young player who will win at least 16 majors to emerge now in the late 2010's? /images/MensTennisForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile_big.png

Pretty amazing it would be but not happening. /images/MensTennisForums_2015/smilies/tango_face_angel.png
No-one, including biggest Novak's fans, dreamed of 15 GS titles back when he had zero or first few.
Some youngster might explode similarly like Novak did in 2011, but bottom line no need for anyone to win 16 mayors to stop Novak from winning future slams. Bad days happen, so better to lower the expectations and just enjoy one tournament at a time.
that much is true, i started following novak before he had won any slam and i never imagined he would win as many slams as he has already won. he's playing with house money as far as im concerned

·
Registered
336 Posts
and yeah, i expect big things of zverev, shapo and tsitsipas in the future. And surely new blood will continue to arrive at this stage, rather sooner than later cause its boring having nadal, fed and djokovic still winning every major in 2019

1 - 18 of 18 Posts