Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
World No. 1 Novak Djokovic captured his fifth Grand Slam championship title as he defeated No. 2-ranked Rafael Nadal 5-7, 6-4, 6-2, 6-7(5), 7-5 in an epic final contest at the Australian Open on Sunday night in Melbourne.
At five hours and 53 minutes, it was the longest-ever match at the Australian Open and the longest men's Grand Slam final on record, surpassing the previous record of four hours and 54 minutes when Mats Wilander defeated Ivan Lendl at the 1988 US Open.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I agree, awesome match - tennis taken to new levels of physicality but it was essentially two guys at their incredible athletic peak going at it for hours and hours. For me personally, a little too physical, a little too long. WB08 will always be more special - Fedal will always be more special - I think, because of the sheer contrast in styles and personalities.

But of course it comes down to personal taste, I certainly see why some consider this as the greatest ever match.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
One of the best matches and greatest grand slam finals ever. One of my favorite matches ever that is very close to my heart and still makes me emotional till this day. Rafa lost this match by the tiniest of the margins.

By that much. 👇

·
Registered
371 Posts
One of the best matches and greatest grand slam finals ever. One of my favorite matches ever that is very close to my heart and still makes me emotional till this day. Rafa lost this match by the tiniest of the margins.

By that much. 👇

That shot still haunt me to this day.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
overrated match ofc.Wawa\Nole 13 the best ever AO match,no doubt.
WB18 >AO12 also,ofc.

·
11,040 Posts

By that much. 👇

Nadal got his revenge next year 2013 RG.

·
Registered
250 Posts
And in the semis, Rafa defeated in 4 sets peak Federer. Fed played some of his best tennis in that match. That match and 2015 Wimbledon final were the best matches fed played and lost.

·
|
14,973 Posts
Even if Nadal had made that shot, I'm still not convinced he'd have won the match.
I mean what are the odds of Djokovic never breaking Nadal's serve in the entire 5th Set?
Making that shot would have put Nadal up 40-15, but we see Djokovic breaking serves all the time from that score, plus even if Nadal had held serve there is no guarantee that he'd have served out the match in his next service game.
Also, I've seen Nadal miss that shot many times in his career (not usually, but many times).

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
Rafa would have had a great chance to win the match, if he had made that shot. Wide open court, he could have shot it anywhere into the court easily out of Djokovic's reach, but goes for the line and misses it wide. It would have been 40-15, instead of 30-30, which meant Djokovic would have needed 4 points instead of 2 points on Rafa's service to break Rafa's serve, which further would have made Djokovic's life twice as difficult. Rafa would have held serve in that game to go up 5-2, and he, as a matter of fact, held his next service game. He would have won the match 6-3 instead of losing it 5-7 in the 5th set.

Such tense matches are won and lost by a point difference and by tiny margins.

·
Registered
97 Posts
To me, great matchups lead to great tennis and great matches.
Please share some underrated or almost forgotten gems.

Lendl vs Chang at the Grand Slam Cup 1991

John McEnroe vs Ivan Lendl - Final | Roland-Garros 1984 (full match on YouTube)

Roger Federer vs Marin Cilic 2016 Day 9 (full match on YouTube)

Boris Becker vs Ivan Lendl: Wimbledon SF 1989 (full match on YouTube)

·
Registered
35 Posts

By that much. 👇

He got it back by winning the RG13. Its quite fair.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts