Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the perfect start to the year and 2k+ points ahead of everyone else and with so many events being canceled, at this point Djokovic is pretty much guaranteed to end the year #1, and with that he would surpass Federer's historic #1 310 Weeks record AND also his Year End #1 record of 5 years at 6 (and also surpass Rafa who's at 5 as well).

Roland Garros will almost certainly NOT be played, and Wimbledon is unlikely either. US Open still a big question mark, but even then Novak would be a big favorite and 100% fresh unlike the previous years and go deep there as well. Asian swing almost certainly will be canceled this year too, and then there would be little to no tournaments left except maybe IW/Miami if they get moved after September.

Definitely not the way he would have liked to surpass Federer, but I'm sure he'll take it and it's very well deserved. Even if COVID-19 wasn't canceling tournaments, I still think he would have maintained his #1 position until after US Open, but this way it's pretty much a virtual lock.

Will be interesting to see what happens to everyone's points though as many more events get canceled this year, but regardless what happens Novak is still miles ahead of everyone.

Well done champ! Love him or hate him, he's a true living legend and the most complete player of all time.

·
God loves a trier
4,770 Posts
Your whole post just reveals how absurd it would be to count these dead weeks. If there are only a few tournaments played this year, then the notion of there being a YE#1 is just laughably arbitrary. It would be worth less than all the other YE#1 achievements in the history of tennis.

The same goes for passing Sampras and Federer in weeks at #1. The idea that Novak just gets half a year's worth of weeks for free makes a mockery of the idea of achievement.

All these weeks now are dead weeks, it's as simple as that. It's not like the off-season, which is planned and which players factor into their playing schedules.

Novak will probably surpass Sampras and Fed anyway on his merits.

But claiming these dead weeks as part of his record would merely place a big fat asterisk next to it forever.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your whole post just reveals how absurd it would be to count these dead weeks. If there are only a few tournaments played this year, then the notion of there being a YE#1 is just laughably arbitrary. It would be worth less than all the other YE#1 achievements in the history of tennis.

The same goes for passing Sampras and Federer in weeks at #1. The idea that Novak just gets half a year's worth of weeks for free makes a mockery of the idea of achievement.

All these weeks now are dead weeks, it's as simple as that. It's not like the off-season, which is planned and which players factor into their playing schedules.

Novak will probably surpass Sampras and Fed anyway on his merits.

But claiming these dead weeks as part of his record would merely place a big fat asterisk next to it forever.
As I said, it's not the ideal way to achieve it...but whether you like it or not, facts remain facts. Novak got off to a perfect start this year and capitalized on this small window of opportunity better than any other player. Whether there will be more tournaments this year or not, those weeks will still count because time goes by and he remains a strong #1 by a milestone. It's not like he's 100-300 points ahead of Rafa/Roger and gets the benefit of no tournaments to remain at the top, he's way ahead and those weeks should def still count despite the situation, especially because of his big lead.

Plus, there's always a trade-off too. Novak will get the benefit of achieving all-time great #1 records this year, but the downside is that he will miss out on potentially winning 2 or maybe 3 Grand Slams assuming they get canceled, as well as the Olympics and many more Masters throughout the year too.

So if anything there are more negatives than positives for Novak with the way things are playing out, because he's missing out on so many big tournaments he could have won and still remained at #1 had they been played. But a #1 All-Time record lock is the only positive he can get out of this, which like I said he prob would have achieved anyway even with a full season. And if anything Federer is the luckier one here because it means Rafa and Novak are missing out on slams and not given the opportunity to get to 20 this year.

·
justice for all
18,786 Posts
One word that will stick with him forever: ASTERISKED.
No one expect Djokotards will treat these records seriously.
As opposed to what others claim I think Djokovic is the biggest beneficiary of the Coronavirus because he will be handed free weeks at No1 and free YE#1. Not the biggest loser. If not for COVID-19 he would never break these records.

·
|
16,393 Posts
Judging by the Australian Open Final, Djokovic may never win another slam.
Down 2 sets to 1 vs. Thiem in the AO Final?
When you struggle to beat a newbie in the Final of your favorite slam.....its a sign you are done.
And Rafa had taken most of Thiem's energy already.
Bye bye Djokovic, hope your father forgives you in this lifetime....

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
OP is probably a Fedal double agent, as no one else could post such an obvious bait thread. Faker is a great player, but Fed's variety and style keeps him at GOAT. Not to mention Faker sweeping up numerous Slams against Mug Gen, whereas Federer had to deal with BOTH of Dalovic.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
As opposed to what others claim I think Djokovic is the biggest beneficiary of the Coronavirus because he will be handed free weeks at No1 and free YE#1. Not the biggest loser. If not for COVID-19 he would never break these records.
Djokovic has already won as much slams and masters titles in 2020 (and also entered as much slam finals) as Sampras in his y.e. no.1 seasons 1996 and 1998.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Djokovic will crush Federer record with or without suspension, therefore talking about him as a "beneficiary" of the suspension is misleading.
I never said he was the beneficiary of it, in fact quite the opposite. Read my other comment before saying nonsense like this. I am just simply stating the facts and reality of how this year will end. This is the only minor positive that Novak will benefit from.

Otherwise I truly believe he could have had a similar year as 2011/2015 and still finished #1 regardless.

·
Registered
789 Posts
You mean like no one will ever take seriously Fed's last 3 slams won while half the Top 10 was decimated by injuries ?

The whole Tennis world knows Novak would have beaten Fed in these tournaments had his elbow not given him so much trouble for so long.

·
Registered
273 Posts
N

I never said he was the beneficiary of it, in fact quite the opposite. Read my other comment before saying nonsense like this. I am just simply stating the facts and reality of how this year will end. This is the only minor positive that Novak will benefit from.

Otherwise I truly believe he could have had a similar year as 2011/2015 and still finished #1 regardless.
I have not mentioned your name

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have not mentioned your name
Oh ok, thought it was directed at me cuz I'm the OP.

Anyways, this is a big loss for all players (esp ones ranked outside top 200) and a real shame that now most of the year will be canceled, but at least Novak will have the #1 records under his belt and still a good chance to surpass 20 slams by end of his career in the coming years.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
It's a joke to say Djokovic will pass Federer because of Corona maybe he won't surpass him because of Corona and frozen Ranking. It would be a joke.

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
If the tour is getting shut down long enough, the tennis authorities might decide to implement extraordinary measures when it comes to ranking, points and everything that entails it. In short, maybe Djokovic's weeks at #1 won't be counted for the duration of the tennis shutdown.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
It's a joke to say Djokovic will pass Federer because of Corona maybe he won't surpass him because of Corona and frozen Ranking. It would be a joke.
If the tour is getting shut down long enough, the tennis authorities might decide to implement extraordinary measures when it comes to ranking, points and everything that entails it. In short, maybe Djokovic's weeks at #1 won't be counted for the duration of the tennis shutdown.
Lol tennis authorities can't change anything about this. Official or unofficial - facts remain facts. As time goes by Djokovic is #1 and will remain #1 until AO 2021. This still counts whether or not someone says it's official or not. Worst case if all points are deducted this year and no tournaments played, the current race is what the new rankings will be. Best case they keep the rankings as they are now. Fair case is they drop 50% of last year's tournaments' points. Either way Novak is always going to be ahead and this 100% counts as weeks #1. Stop trying to rely & pray on "tennis authorities" to make "official" rankings or record confirmations or "freeze" the rankings to protect Federer's #1 weeks.

·
Registered
13,359 Posts
1 - 20 of 69 Posts