Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have seen a lot of hate for Novak's style of play recently and generally also when people call him Pushvak and so on. I would like to elaborate on what makes Novak tick and why he is my favourite player to watch.

1. If watching Federer is a religious experience, watching Novak is seeing a war strategy executed to perfection. He knows there will be casualties - like on the deep return a few might go out - but the ones that stay in will determine the match.

2. Solid from the baseline - The number of shots he can hit from the baseline without making errors. The difference with Nadal is that Nadal is unable to mix different lengths and angles which Novak does effortlessly and to better effect.

3. Control over aggression and defence - Though he has been outpowered in the past, for the most part, he decides when to attack or defend rather than letting his opponent dictate.

4. Keeps opponents in a state of perpetual uncertainty - This is where Novak gets most of his wins from. The opponent cannot go into a rhythm and makes up making errors to execute some misguided strategy. This is what happened in the Delpo match.

5. Insane Retrieval skills - Though I would argue Murray is slightly better on this count, Djokovic can competely nullify the point while defending which no one in tennis has ever been able to do as consistently as him.

6. That return of serve - Nuff said.

Peakvak is not about hitting winners from anywhere in the court or not letting any ball past him but a combination of the abovementioned points. That is why it is not very easily noticed and people say Novak's peak is not very high. The problem is, it is not very clearly visible and appears to be 'opponent mugging the match'. The beauty of Novak's game is not fast food, but like a wholesome meal.

Fans of Novak, please add yours to celebrate the player that he is and why we love him as much as we do.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I am a Fed fan but you have to give it up to Djokovic. Arguably the most solid baseline player ever and definitely the best returner in the history of the game.

In the next 3 seasons I fully expect him to overtake Fed grand slam total wins as well as increase his h2h against both Fed and Nadal.

Unless the court is of lightning speed then there is a chance to beat him but even then he is able to raise his game.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
Fans of Novak, please add yours to celebrate the player that he is and why we love him as much as we do.
Thank you. You can head to the Djokovic forum, my dude..

Post-Slam win ejaculation threads are the worst. We have had enough of those already.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
It's not obligatory to like Djokovic style of play , the same as for some of us Federer or Nadal or any other player for that matter.
But when you think , it's quite possible that tennis might never have player like him.

I don't know how many posters here watched him playing live, the way guy moves on te court is just unique, cat like. Cats have 9 lives, are intelligent and efficient ...

·
Registered
748 Posts
I like watching Djokovic a lot too. The way he neutralizes the opponent is incredible. If you don't watch carefully, you don't really understand what he is doing and you might just say it's only pushing. It isn't indeed. Otherwise everyone could do it.
The difference with Federer and to some extend Nadal is that their beauty can be recognized easily even by non-tennis fans which makes those two fan-favorites everywhere. It's true that Djokovic sometimes does not get enough credit outside tennis experts but you've got to say that he started breaking through late. Federer and Nadal have been there for 15 years, dominating tennis and suddenly Djokovic appeared with his bizarre game...

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
I like watching Djokovic a lot too. The way he neutralizes the opponent is incredible. If you don't watch carefully, you don't really understand what he is doing and you might just say it's only pushing. It isn't indeed. Otherwise everyone could do it.
The difference with Federer and to some extend Nadal is that their beauty can be recognized easily even by non-tennis fans which makes those two fan-favorites everywhere. It's true that Djokovic sometimes does not get enough credit outside tennis experts but you've got to say that he started breaking through late. Federer and Nadal have been there for 15 years, dominating tennis and suddenly Djokovic appeared with his bizarre game...
Exactly, this is what most ignorant couch experts don't realise while watching Djokovic play. Something interesting Djokovic said in his USO presser after the final - that he was kinda bummed he was in the same era with Nadal and Federer, now looking back, he's glad, because he had to find and develop a game that would make him win over those established legends. And incredibly he did just that, which made him a legend in his own right.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
... It's true that Djokovic sometimes does not get enough credit outside tennis experts but you've got to say that he started breaking through late. Federer and Nadal have been there for 15 years, dominating tennis and suddenly Djokovic appeared with his bizarre game...
If there was some 20 y.o. youngster nowadays to make consecutive SF(RG'07 Nadal), SF(Wimb'07 Nadal), F(USO'07 Federer), W (beating Federer in AO'08 SF), SF(RG'08 Nadal) at slams as 20 y.o. Djokovic, also winning 3 masters (including consecutive wins against Fedal in Canada'07 SF/F), we would probably consider it as a breakthrough of epic proportions.

So, there was really nothing sudden about Djokovic, and expecting young Djokovic to overtake the already peaking CC Goat candidate Nadal and peaking HC/Grass Goat candidate Federer was pretty unrealistic, but he still did it at a fairly young age in 2011 as 23/24 y.o. (Federer was 22/23 at 2004), seven seasons after Federer's first multislam 2004 season and three seasons after Nadal's first multiple slam 2008 season, spending two tough seasons 2009/10 in forming his new playing style to counteract Nadal's grinding mill in bo5 rubbers.

Even if 20-22 y.o. Djokovic had already developed the game & stamina for beating Nadal at RG SF, as he was able to beat Federer at AO'08 & USO'10 SF, he would still not make his breakthrough or even win RG or USO because of his unfortunate slam draws, almost always landing in Nadal's half at RG and always landing in Federer's half at AO/USO 2008-2011 for eight consecutive HC slams after their USO'07 final, so, he would be dead tired after eventual RG SF win over Nadal for the RG final vs Federer, as he was pretty tired after eventual USO'10 SF 5-setter win vs Federer for the grinding fest in the finals against fresh Nadal.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Most of the time it looks like a wrecking ball at work, I guess I like total annihilation.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pushing is pushing no matter what. When you're 5 m behind the baseline ofc you need skills, elasticity, physical toughness and all the rest. Good to watch from time to time.
But, just like anyone who's ever touch a racket in his life, it's smth that I or anyone can reproduce time to time, running and retrieving and winning a point by waiting the others fault. That is cool. But I will always love to watch smth that I cannot reproduce easily or not at all. That's why anyone who's not giving up the baseline and dictate the point and is trying to win it by himself will have my admiration and my respect. Not necessarily giving names because every top player makes winning points of course but it's just like any other sport : an attacking style of play will always be more likeable to watch than a defensive one.

More often a losing style of play surely but so beuat6iful. France did it in soccer this year with a defensive style. And a lot of circumstances. Does anyone like their style ? It was just like Inter Milano in 1960 or 70. The win was there. Great. But that's it. No much respect needed.

Envoyé de mon SM-N935F en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Pushing is pushing no matter what. When you're 5 m behind the baseline ofc you need skills, elasticity, physical toughness and all the rest. Good to watch from time to time.
But, just like anyone who's ever touch a racket in his life, it's smth that I or anyone can reproduce time to time, running and retrieving and winning a point by waiting the others fault. That is cool. But I will always love to watch smth that I cannot reproduce easily or not at all. That's why anyone who's not giving up the baseline and dictate the point and is trying to win it by himself will have my admiration and my respect. Not necessarily giving names because every top player makes winning points of course but it's just like any other sport : an attacking style of play will always be more likeable to watch than a defensive one.

More often a losing style of play surely but so beuat6iful. France did it in soccer this year with a defensive style. And a lot of circumstances. Does anyone like their style ? It was just like Inter Milano in 1960 or 70. The win was there. Great. But that's it. No much respect needed.

Don't be fooled in thinking Djokovic can't play offensively. Just watch some 2007, 2008 matches, like vs. Nadal in Hamburg Masters where he was hitting flat with pace DTL and CS, and he got in Nadal's web and lost. He tasted himself how does it feel to go for your shots all the time and end up losing, so his playstyle now is simply "high percentage tennis" that was carved from his experience over the years. Sometimes as a fan it just frustrates me how slow his shots go, but when he decides to crank it, you actually see he is very much still capable of doing it, it's just not part of his tactics.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Interesting topic indeed.

What Djokovic has in terms of skills?

1. Incredible wrists that let him change the direction of every possible ball thrown at him.
2. The best and the most versatile two-handed backhand the game has ever seen. The angles and the spins are crazy.
3. Very, very powerful and precise forehand - deceiving power - you can't feel it through TV, it's not obvious like Nadal's unique forehand or Del Potro's hammer or Federer's classical forehand but it's equally lethal.
4. The sliding and the acrobatic way of moving and been balanced in every position in order to make not a defensive but an offensive shot from defense.
5. The fastest mind - reads the game before the opponent has struck his shot which allows him to have the best aggressive return in the game.
6. Very, very good and versatile serve which is developing more and more over the years.
7. Mathematician precision and depth of the shot.

All of those skills allow him to have the most complex and versatile placement of the ball. He practically can place it at every inch of the court and his whole game has less weak points to attack.

But what is his style?
It's strange but you can't see much analysis of his playing game.
His style is shapeless. It takes the shape of the opponent. He plays according to the playing styles of his opponents. It's like water - it passes through everywhere. That's why it's difficult for people to decide what he is playing next game.

In contrast Nadal and Federer have quite defined playing styles and people know what to expect. With Novak Djokovic - it is - expect the unexpected.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Unlike Federer who enjoys making a spectacle of beating mugs or Nadal who always seem to play with same intensity, Djokovic needs special opponent to show his full talent. There is also a thing with crowd that usually roots against him, meekly applauding even the most amazing of points. I think Novak is showing much more beautiful tennis when he is at least getting proper respect from the audience. It's also a big thing for him how confident he feels. When his confidence is high than he adds a lot more variety to his game, painting the lines, going BHDTL often and finishing more points at the net.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

Ummm, what?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Nole makes tennis a chess/strategy game. He is the much improved male version of Hingis.

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,913 Posts

That's less than a meter behind the baseline :|

But, just like anyone who's ever touch a racket in his life, it's smth that I or anyone can reproduce time to time, running and retrieving and winning a point by waiting the others fault. That is cool. But I will always love to watch smth that I cannot reproduce easily or not at all.
If you can extract errors by "running and retrieving" balls coming at you with ATP pace and spin, then maybe you should be playing on tour and earning millions

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Interesting topic indeed.

What Djokovic has in terms of skills?

1. Incredible wrists that let him change the direction of every possible ball thrown at him.
2. The best and the most versatile two-handed backhand the game has ever seen. The angles and the spins are crazy.
3. Very, very powerful and precise forehand - deceiving power - you can't feel it through TV, it's not obvious like Nadal's unique forehand or Del Potro's hammer or Federer's classical forehand but it's equally lethal.
4. The sliding and the acrobatic way of moving and been balanced in every position in order to make not a defensive but an offensive shot from defense.
5. The fastest mind - reads the game before the opponent has struck his shot which allows him to have the best aggressive return in the game.
6. Very, very good and versatile serve which is developing more and more over the years.
7. Mathematician precision and depth of the shot.

All of those skills allow him to have the most complex and versatile placement of the ball. He practically can place it at every inch of the court and his whole game has less weak points to attack.

But what is his style?
It's strange but you can't see much analysis of his playing game.
His style is shapeless. It takes the shape of the opponent. He plays according to the playing styles of his opponents. It's like water - it passes through everywhere. That's why it's difficult for people to decide what he is playing next game.

In contrast Nadal and Federer have quite defined playing styles and people know what to expect. With Novak Djokovic - it is - expect the unexpected.

This is so well said, if I knew you I'd hug you how enlightening it is. :x

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
This is so well said, if I knew you I'd hug you how enlightening it is. :x
Absolute joy to read his posts about the game, even so knowing he is not Novak fan per se, I would say first and foremost tennis fan.

Come on AM, some of us want to read more RLS posts:wink2:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts