Mens Tennis Forums banner

How did Novak Djokovic marketing influence index changed after USO incident?

• increased (positive)

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • decreased (negative)

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • neutral (unchanged)

Votes: 8 34.8%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was recently thinking about out-of-the-court activities of top tennis players, and their 'brand value' as a whole. RF leads this arena in tennis for years, and others are following. I have to admit I don't track that at all, and I am not expert in that field, just curious because of recent events.

How much USO incident affected Novak in that area? Positively? Negatively? Not at all?

In my opinion, it only increased. Why? Because, "everyone" heard of that incident, even those who never closely follow tennis. Now, they know who NDJ is, and his value can only increase from that. To draw a parallel with modern influencers on social networks, there is no such thing as bad press, assuming its within acceptable limits, of course.

RF reportedly earned $106.3 millions USD between June 2019 - June 2020, without even playing much. That's both astonishing and respectful achievement (for the lack of a better word).

NDJ is 2nd with $44.6M
RN 3rd with $40M

What is interesting and shocking to me is that Kei Nishikori earned over $32M !
I guess he has some strong contracts, and influence in Asia region.

Naomi Osaka surpassed Serena Williams with just 2 (now 3) GS titles holding, achieving more than $37M vs $36M for Serena. Now, speaking of impressive...

For the sake of completeness, here's the top 10 list (2019-2020 data):

1. Roger Federer (Switzerland): $106.3M
2. Novak Djokovic (Serbia): $44.6M
3. Rafael Nadal (Spain): $40M
4. Naomi Osaka (Japan): $37.4M
5. Serena Williams (USA): $36M
6. Kei Nishikori (Japan): $32.1M
7. Ashleigh Barty (Australia): $13.1M
8. Daniil Medvedev (Russia): $11.8M
9. Dominic Thiem (Austria): $11.1M
10. Simona Halep (Romania): $10.9M

Further reading & data resources:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Regarding Kei, can you say Naomi Osaka? Highest paid female athlete. Asia has so few international superstars, they pay big.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Highly doubt it will affect his earnings one way or another. If he intentionally hurt someone it would be a different story.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Nishikori and Osaka are not really popular in the entire Asia, IMO. They may be popular in just Japan.

Japan, for its small size, is the third richest country, ranked in terms of GDP. It should not come as a surprise if Japanese companies sponsor their own athletes, Nishikori and Osaka, and pay them big monies.

·
11,031 Posts
Nishikori was sponsored by Maruchan Ramen , which is the huge ramen brand sold around the world.

I'm sure he has had some other big ones too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I know Kei is very popular in Japan, but just couldn't assume its all from Japan endorsments alone. Btw. I had to search what is ramen.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Thanks, I know Kei is very popular in Japan, but just couldn't assume its all from Japan endorsments alone. Btw. I had to search what is ramen.
Ramen is very popular in Asia. You might not know what ramen is but that is at least a third of the word's population eating Ramen regularly.

Reactions: MWW

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean, I know what noodles are (and I know they are very popular among Chinese and people in general who like Asian food), just wasn't familiar with that particular term. Thanks.

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,537 Posts
I mean, I know what noodles are (and I know they are very popular among Chinese and people in general who like Asian food), just wasn't familiar with that particular term. Thanks.
you will know what it is now and never forget it:

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Djokovic earning almost 50% of the Marketing GOAT is impressive to say the least.
A couple of years ago he wasn't even close.

Reactions: n00b

·
Registered
16,671 Posts
I see some blatant underpayment for the top men's multislam champs, or just shameful overpayment for a few 1-3 slam wonders at the women's side.
Either way, it is not ideal.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I have no idea about the monetary aspect of it all, but all of the ordinary people I spoke to (who don't watch tennis normally) that heard of this event thought it was absurd for a player to be disqualified for an accident.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From comments I also read on YT and elsewhere, from which you could clearly see that they either do not follow tennis at all, or closely enough to know such rules, had same impression, which doesn't change anything, of course.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I don't know, really, maybe up to $1 or $10 mil, as you can see, Kei is currently #35 and earns a lot. Depends on country of origin and many other factors, like personality, too.

If you are from a small, but wealthy country, your chances will increase. If you are from a wealthy, big country, like USA, it depends... personality, appearance, general likability, how many ppl knows you (how many years you play) etc. because there is a fierce competition. But, on the other hand, $10 mil is more easily achievable in such a large market. And so on...

On the other hand, you can act and steer scandals and cause fire all around the world on social networks, and become sort of an anti-hero. That will earn you a lot (more) money, as well. So, depends, really...

·
Premium Member
9,504 Posts
I have no idea about the monetary aspect of it all, but all of the ordinary people I spoke to (who don't watch tennis normally) that heard of this event thought it was absurd for a player to be disqualified for an accident.
Well I would lie if saying I am not pissed off with that defaulting, and thinking they have not done the same with JohnnyMac in the past, Edberg killing a judge line with his serve or Serena and her death threats to line judge in the past....

BUT throwing balls and rackets when you are angry is not the proper image to give to kids, it is disrespectfull and quite arrogant, it may be very dangerous for people around.

Nole has not done once in his career but repeatedly and he said it is a way for him to release the tension and regroup...

I think it is normal Tennis officials gave him a big warning to this habit because it is arrogant and dangerous.

Probably a game penality which means loosing the set could have been enough but background (players syndicate, guy from Serbia which is thought to be an Evil Country from USA, controversial personnality from a western point of view....) should have played against him.

PS : I read Nole hit again a line judge in the face yesterday at 4-3 second set (no more information I suppose it was during the game) and he got no defaulting this time... So forget about conspiracy...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts