Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Djokovic met the press he was asked about the match, but also about Dominic Thiem's recent comments. The young Austrian was beaten by Nadal on Thursday and claimed that Djokovic alone has the talent and fitness to keep up with Nadal when the Spaniard is able to play his game. Novak said he was flattered by the remark, but stressed that he's not the only man with the ability to get the better of the 'King of Clay'.

"Obviously it's nice to hear that. But I don't think I'm the only one," he said. "There are players who are definitely able to compete with Rafa on this surface, especially this year. He has lost to [Nicolas] Almagro, to [David] Ferrer, two big tournaments."

"Definitely this is the tournament that he likes the most. I'm talking about Rafa. He lost once in his life on this tournament, on this court. So for sure, he's the most dominant player around in Roland Garros in history. We all know that, and we all know how good he is. But in the end of the day, you don't go out with a white flag on the court. You try to win whoever is across the net."

Tsonga, who will play either Jo-Wilfried Tsonga or Jerzy Janowicz in round four, currently seems destined for a meeting with Nadal in the final. He'll arguably have the momentum should the clash go ahead, as he's won his last four matches against his biggest rival. The latest of these wins, which will perhaps turn out to be a telling one, was his three set triumph at the Rome Masters. The 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 loss may play on Nadal's mind if he meets Djokovic next week on Court Philippe Chatrier.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
Re: Novak Djokovic: "I'm not the only one who can compete with Rafa on clay"

Ferrer is pretty much the only other player that can challenge Rafa right now. But eve then, I doubt he would take more than a set even though he won in Monte Carlo.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts

True, others can compete against Rafa on clay. But Djokovic is the only one who can convincingly beat Rafa on clay. Almagro match was hopeless by both. Ferrer was good in that win, but Rafa's form was in doubt. With his RG form(The best so far this year), only Djokovic can beat him.

ReturnAce. :bowdown:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts

Newsbot. :bowdown:

·
Registered
24,311 Posts

in a slam on clay? Get out of here Nole. Who? Sock?

·
Delicious
3,558 Posts

Tsonga, who will play either Jo-Wilfried Tsonga or Jerzy Janowicz in round four,
If it's Tsonga vs. Tsonga in 4R I think the Frenchman will still find a way to lose that match.

·
Registered
13,454 Posts

Ferrer can definitely compete with Nadal on clay. The problem is that their big matches will always end with him choking in the end.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I see none of the ball bashers being able to beat Nadal in a bo5. Djokovic and Ferrer have a chance because they can grind with Nadal.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

That's like saying you can compete with Federer on grass. Bottom line when his game is on fire, good luck - the surface favors his game big time. Same for Nadal on clay. Just like Novak's slow HC's favor him big time.

·
Banned
6,672 Posts

When Djokovic met the press he was asked about the match, but also about Dominic Thiem's recent comments. The young Austrian was beaten by Nadal on Thursday and claimed that Djokovic alone has the talent and fitness to keep up with Nadal when the Spaniard is able to play his game. Novak said he was flattered by the remark, but stressed that he's not the only man with the ability to get the better of the 'King of Clay'.

"Obviously it's nice to hear that. But I don't think I'm the only one," he said. "There are players who are definitely able to compete with Rafa on this surface, especially this year. He has lost to [Nicolas] Almagro, to [David] Ferrer, two big tournaments."

"Definitely this is the tournament that he likes the most. I'm talking about Rafa. He lost once in his life on this tournament, on this court. So for sure, he's the most dominant player around in Roland Garros in history. We all know that, and we all know how good he is. But in the end of the day, you don't go out with a white flag on the court. You try to win whoever is across the net."

Tsonga, who will play either Jo-Wilfried Tsonga or Jerzy Janowicz in round four, currently seems destined for a meeting with Nadal in the final. He'll arguably have the momentum should the clash go ahead, as he's won his last four matches against his biggest rival. The latest of these wins, which will perhaps turn out to be a telling one, was his three set triumph at the Rome Masters. The 4-6, 6-3, 6-3 loss may play on Nadal's mind if he meets Djokovic next week on Court Philippe Chatrier.
If only more players had this simple but very important attitude when they faced dull, he would lose more. Djokovic is the first guy who doesn't give a shit and doesn't show him respect, which is why he is the first guy who beats dull consistently.

·
Registered
6,721 Posts

If it's Tsonga vs. Tsonga in 4R I think the Frenchman will still find a way to lose that match.
Hahaha :p

Anyway, he is right. But the problem is, Novak seems to be the only one who believes against Nadal on clay. Even Clayray destroyed him in the first set at Rome before losing focus and starting to play badly.

Novak has reason to be confident, even his disastrous performance last year was nearly good enough to beat supposed clay GOAT (Bjorn Borg says hello). Over 70 UE, ouch.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts

What a troll lol.

It's obviously the contrary.

·
Registered
15,736 Posts

Hoping for Clayray to take him out I see

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
If only more players had this simple but very important attitude when they faced dull, he would lose more. Djokovic is the first guy who doesn't give a shit and doesn't show him respect, which is why he is the first guy who beats dull consistently.
Federer, the champion that he is, must believe he can beat Nadal everytime they meet and yet still loses to Nadal.

·
Banned
6,672 Posts

Federer, the champion that he is, must believe he can beat Nadal everytime they meet and yet still loses to Nadal.
Yes and no. Fed believes he can beat Nadal but subconsciously he may not believe it given that Nadal owns him.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yes and no. Fed believes he can beat Nadal but subconsciously he may not believe it given that Nadal owns him.
I don't think it's an absence of belief. I really do think Fed truly has the belief he can beat Nadal everytime he steps on the court.

Unfortunately Nadal knows the 1 handed backhand is erratic no matter how good you are at it. That's where Novak has the advantage over fed.

·
Banned
1,009 Posts

Fed is weak era champion, no wonder he can't compete with Rafa regularly.

·
Premium Member
21,077 Posts

I don't think it's an absence of belief. I really do think Fed truly has the belief he can beat Nadal everytime he steps on the court.

Unfortunately Nadal knows the 1 handed backhand is erratic no matter how good you are at it. That's where Novak has the advantage over fed.
Belief is one thing, but it's not enough on its own, a sound gameplan and especially the ability to execute it must also be there.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts