Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great performance from what I've heard and Nalbandian could never get a foothold on the Djoko serve.

Nalbandian won just 7 return points in the entire match and never reached BP whilst Djokovic threatened Nalbandian on almost every service game even when he didn't break and Nalbandian only began the fightback at 2-6 3-5* 0-30 by winning two consecutive return points for the only time in the match.

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
Didn't get to see it, but it's hard to dominate Nalbandian on serve that way, even this fading version of Fat Dave. Djokovic looking really solid for this week, Cincy, and the USO.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
This was a good match to measure Nalbandian's level to the top players. He isn't even close.:eek:

:hatoff: to Djoko for only dropping 7 points on serve.

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Very impressive.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Djokovic was very impressive. His serving was solid, his backhand was in fine form, and used his slice well to lure David up to the net. His game fully clicked into gear today.
David was very sluggish, while his forehand and netplay were generally woeful, and Djokovic destroyed his powerpuff 2nd serve

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
I hear the first set was particularly impressive, I would have liked to have seen this match. Federer has made a few comments before suggesting that Djokovic still needs to really improve his serve, but his serve has been very solid for a fair while now, and today, quite clearly, it was doing some major damage.

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
He may even be able to challenge Nadal in the semi-final if he can survive Roddick (provided he beats Baghdatis) in the quarter final.

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He may even be able to challenge Nadal in the semi-final if he can survive Roddick (provided he beats Baghdatis) in the quarter final.
As far as we have seen this year Djokovic is every bit as good as Nadal on hardcourts. There is no reason to suggest that Djokovic will just be 'challenging' Nadal it seems to me that the match would be a 50-50 sort of thing.

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
I would imagine so, Nadal and Djokovic are 1-1 this year on HC.. I think. I realise Nadal has had Djokovic in 2 slam semis this year but of course Djokovic will be able to challenge Nadal if the two meet.

·
Fed Fo Mod
11,233 Posts
He's more than capable of doing more than challenging Nadal. :)

That would be a good match indeed. I thought that Djokovic would win one of the two TMS events this summer and this might be the one.

·
Registered
13,295 Posts
Federer has made a few comments before suggesting that Djokovic still needs to really improve his serve
Time is proving those Federer´s quotes downplaying Nole´s abilities and saying he had a longer way to go than some of his contemporaries more and more ridiculous, he´d better shut the fuck up if u ask me

·
Registered
11,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Time is proving those Federer´s quotes downplaying Nole´s abilities and saying he had a longer way to go than some of his contemporaries more and more ridiculous, he´d better shut the fuck up if u ask me
Yes he got those things wrong and misjudged player abilities when saying that Djoko had further to go than Murray/Gasquet. It doesn't really mean he was downplaying his abilities though but I guess you have to look for something to hate and anyway it is not hard to see why he said those things seeing as Murray and Gasquet both have victories over him. Perhaps he was also influenced by his judgement on the possiblity of Djokovic taking injury timeouts when he didn't need them.

As for, "he'd better shut the fuck up if u ask me", have you reached double figures in age yet or what? He is entitled to say that kind of thing and this isn't fanboyism, I mean I don't agree with what Roger said about him being a "joke with his injuries" but he can certainly talk about younger players and if he gets it wrong then that's actually okay and it takes a clown of monumental proportions to think that just because you get something wrong you should "shut the fuck up."

·
Mammoths
4,710 Posts
They did seem like unfounded comments really...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts