Mens Tennis Forums banner

GS's to Runnner Up count for the rest of Djokovic's career?

• 0 GS to 6 Runner Ups

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • 1 GS to 5 Runner Ups

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 GS to 4 Runner Ups

• 3 GS to 3 Runner Ups

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • 4 GS to 2 Runner Ups

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • 5 GS to 1 Runner Ups

• 6 GS to 0 Runner Ups

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Djokovic may have to be one of the mentally weakest Top 20 "All Time Greats"

What is truly fascinating about this, is how he usually cruises into the Finals, but than all of the sudden has a brain fart. Now this is not discredit all of his Epic SF's (IE: DelPotro Wimbledon and Wawrinka US Open.), but he still seems to spend little energy going into the finals and typically has plenty of it in the finals.

Yet the man has 7 runner up Silver Plates, in matches that he could have arguably won.

While some may quote his fitness, I would like to quote him for his Mental Toughness. Bar 2011, Djokovic seems to choke up in the big moments, or something always seems to happen.

But things maybe changing. He stopped Federer from getting to 18, at Fed's favorite tournament. Also he is about to get a kid and is now officially married.

Will these things motivate him again? Can he overcame his GS Choking demons?

I'll let you decide.

The situation is: Djokovic is in the Next 6 GS Finals. What is the GS to Runner Up Count???

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
Djokovic is a monument of consistency since 2011 in Grand Slams, too bad he barely gets all the way to the title. In my opinion (and i'm not tarding) he should've won 9-10 slams until now

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
Too early to say. He really did go into a massive slump after that woeful FO 2013 choke. He lost a few big matches he should have undoubtedly won, but hopefully Wimbledon has given him the confidence not to choke so often again. We shall soon see.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
He played his AAA+ game in final vs Federer who did not play his best for some reasons for sure. Maybe because Federer did not play enough matches on clay but his
FH was not there. If Federer has played whole match as he did in 4th set then this match could be at higher level for sure.

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
Nothing 'fascinating' about it, the players he faces in the finals are always a step up in competition compared to the ones he faces the rounds before, so it's normal the results aren't as good.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Nothing 'fascinating' about it, the players he faces in the finals are always a step up in competition compared to the ones he faces the rounds before, so it's normal the results aren't as good.
That's what prevents him to be an all-time great though (along with winning RG), just look at those players' stats in GS final :
Federer : 17-8
Sampras : 14-4
Nadal : 14-6

·
Registered
18,092 Posts
That's what prevents him to be an all-time great (along with winning RG), just look at those players' stats in GS final :
Federer : 17-8
Sampras : 14-4
Nadal : 14-6
Djokovic is an all-time great. 7 Slam titles, 14 final appearances, plenty of other titles to go with it... and he'll most likely still add to that, definitely an all-time great career.

He's not as good as Federer and Nadal, but those two are potentially the two greatest players of all-time, you can still have your place in history while not matching them, besides Djokovic was sort of the one who put a halt to their almost decade-long dominance.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I disagree with the premise that Djokovic will reach exactly six slam finals. I'm making the bold prediction that he'll never reach another.

·
Registered
10,267 Posts
I disagree with the premise that Djokovic will reach exactly six slam finals. I'm making the bold prediction that he'll never reach another.
I was really bored with my signature and didn't quite know what to put in ....

Thanks for the inspiration :)

·
Registered
16,539 Posts
It's not a slump, he's performed about as well as he should have. People only focus on his losses in slam finals, but ignore the close shaves he had in the ones he did win.

Fed's MP at the 2011 USO.
Murray/Nadal epic 5 setters at the AO 2012.
Wawrinka 'breaking' to serve for the match at the AO 2013, only to get fucked by a linejudge.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
It's not a slump, he's performed about as well as he should have. People only focus on his losses in slam finals, but ignore the close shaves he had in the ones he did win.

Fed's MP at the 2011 USO.
Murray/Nadal epic 5 setters at the AO 2012.
Wawrinka 'breaking' to serve for the match at the AO 2013, only to get fucked by a linejudge.
that 2012 AO was epic in SF and final just epic.

·
Your visions will happen
47,112 Posts
I say Djokovic will win 2-3 more slams and finish with 9-10 total slams.

Grand Slam finals % over 50%

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Novak will contend for Slams for another 5 years, that's 20 Slams, I say he wins at least 6 of those. I'll go out on a limb and give him 13 for his career.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
He played his AAA+ game in final vs Federer who did not play his best for some reasons for sure. Maybe because Federer did not play enough matches on clay but his
FH was not there. If Federer has played whole match as he did in 4th set then this match could be at higher level for sure.
What? You can't be serious...

·
Registered
896 Posts
I always "love" to read all the statisticians and their "wise" predictions trying to project the future. All that I will say is that it is on his racquet completely and due to his weak conditioning and personnel issues.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I think the slump is over, but I don't expect him to win all the time either. I think he will win about half or slightly more than half of the GS finals he plays in from now on.

I'm hoping Djokovic gets to 10. I would be satisfied with that number as a fan. If he wins even more though, great.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
What slump? Did he ever fall out of the top 2?

·
10,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What slump? Did he ever fall out of the top 2?
It has been a slump for him ever since end of 2011. He is well aware that he should have more slams and titles to his name.

His body is in amazing shape.
He can play pretty well on most surfaces
His peak game can defeat anyone.

Yet he has come up short on one too many occasions.

Runner-up 2012 French Open Clay Spain Rafael Nadal 4–6, 3–6, 6–2, 5–7
Runner-up 2012 US Open (3) Hard United Kingdom Andy Murray 6–7(10–12), 5–7, 6–2, 6–3, 2–6
Winner 2013 Australian Open (4) Hard United Kingdom Andy Murray 6–7(2–7), 7–6(7–3), 6–3, 6–2
Runner-up 2013 Wimbledon Grass United Kingdom Andy Murray 4–6, 5–7, 4–6
Runner-up 2013 US Open (4) Hard Spain Rafael Nadal 2–6, 6–3, 4–6, 1–6
Runner-up 2014 French Open (2) Clay Spain Rafael Nadal 6–3, 5–7, 2–6, 4–6
Winner 2014 Wimbledon (2) Grass Switzerland Roger Federer 6–7(7–9), 6–4, 7–6(7–4), 5–7, 6–4

1 - 20 of 63 Posts