Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On March 9, 2020, Novak Djokovic equaled 282 weeks at #1. He needs just 4 weeks to tie and 5 weeks to exceed Pete Sampras' 286 weeks.

It appears that Novak can resume adding to his weeks at #1 when the tour resumes and the ATP updates their next rankings week.

As of now, that might be April 27, if the tour resumes at that point. Points for previous tournaments due to be dropped for and before that date, would be dropped. However, if the suspension is extended, then the rankings updates will be delayed.

For example, if Madrid and Rome are cancelled, and the suspension continues, and then play finally resumes at Roland Garros, I believe the next rankings update week would be June 8.

Whenever the tour resumes, the player who is most ready, in form, and can win titles right away could gain an advantage for the rest of the year, especially if the others are slow to resume form.

But right now, I'm not looking beyond getting my next rehab treatment, and being able to buy some toilet paper. ;)

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: RocketMan70

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why 282? I have 281, I did not count IW Week 1
Hmm, I have 282 as of Mar 9, is it correct? Suspend date was Mar 12. Or were you counting only to March 2?

Regards,
masterclass

·
Your visions will happen
51,238 Posts
Hmm, I have 282 as of Mar 9, is it correct? Suspend date was Mar 12. Or were you counting only to March 2?

Regards,
masterclass
Now that I look at it, it should really be 280.

IW was postponed on March 8. I only count the Mar 2 week as the last legit week at #1

·
Registered
223 Posts
Now that I look at it, it should really be 280.

IW was postponed on March 8. I only count the Mar 2 week as the last legit week at #1
So you want to take away 2 weeks from Djokovic that he was guaranteed to be no. 1 ? And 2 weeks in which the rankings were already known? If you want to talk about this,you have to accept 282 weeks...

·
Your visions will happen
51,238 Posts
So you want to take away 2 weeks from Djokovic that he was guaranteed to be no. 1 ? And 2 weeks in which the rankings were already known? If you want to talk about this,you have to accept 282 weeks...
282 only if IW had happened as scheduled

I'm sorry to shatter your dreams pal, but according to ATP he's still at 281.
Well is it 280? 281? 282? I say 280

·
Registered
14,054 Posts
Coronavirus is definitely helping Djokovic pass Federer's weeks at #1 record (I'm assuming they're still counting the weeks off and I don't know why they wouldn't). If it continues through Wimbledon, it will hinder his quest at reaching the major record.

·
Your visions will happen
51,238 Posts
ATP says 281
ATP says a lot of things

Let's see how it all plays out and when do we get back to normal and what happens with the rankings

I will follow what ATP does here so long as it is reasonable. If not I keep my own stats. I won't be surprised in 40 years when they retroactively say, oh yeah, Vilas was #1. Or oh yeah we forgot to add some tournaments and wins from back in the day for Connors win record. I'm way ahead of that shit. I say 280, ATP says 281, my friend masterclass says 282 as in thread title. So we will see

·
Registered
61 Posts
The ATP computer rankings started in 1973, and they will not be turned off or frozen for weeks of inactivity (every year during off season), cancelled finals (long history of tournaments not being able to finish in the past), or unintended breaks in the schedule (present situation).

In addition, player contracts and bonuses are often tied to rankings. The ATP is not going to deduct six weeks or more from a player’s tenure in the top 10 or 20 to satisfy the needs of unhappy Federer and Nadal fans.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
ATP says 281

ATP says a lot of things

Let's see how it all plays out and when do we get back to normal and what happens with the rankings

I will follow what ATP does here so long as it is reasonable. If not I keep my own stats. I won't be surprised in 40 years when they retroactively say, oh yeah, Vilas was #1. Or oh yeah we forgot to add some tournaments and wins from back in the day for Connors win record. I'm way ahead of that shit. I say 280, ATP says 281, my friend masterclass says 282 as in thread title. So we will see
Thread title edited to reflect possible discrepancy. Thanks for your invaluable contributions to the thread. :)

For what it is worth, I believe March 9th to be the last official rankings week prior to the suspension, and thus Novak's weeks should include it.
Remember for example, Steve Johnson won the Indian Wells challenger which ran from Mar 2 to Mar 8, and he justly got credit for his 125 points on March 9.
So Novak should also get credit for his weeks up to and including March 9, but not after until the suspension is lifted. When the tour suspension is lifted, he should get start getting credit for his total weeks at #1 for the next rankings week following that as long as he is #1.

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
In addition, player contracts and bonuses are often tied to rankings. The ATP is not going to deduct six weeks or more from a player’s tenure in the top 10 or 20 to satisfy the needs of unhappy Federer and Nadal fans.
Nor are they going to add non-existent weeks to keep Djokovic's 4 or 5 fans happy. No tennis is being played so there is no World No 1 for these weeks, just like there was no Wimbledon champion in 1942.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I have recounted Novak's weeks at #1, and using Mar 9 as the final week before suspension, I now concur with ATP's total of 281 weeks at #1. I will change the title accordingly.
Here are the splits @Johnny Groove; :

Tot. - Year - Wks (span)
026 - 2011 - 26 (Jul 4 - Dec 26 inc.)
062 - 2012 - 36 ( Jan 2 - Jul 2 inc. [27] + Nov 5 - Dec 31 inc. [9] )
101 - 2013 - 39 (Jan 7 - Sep 30 inc.)
127 - 2014 - 26 (July 7 - Dec 29 inc.)
179 - 2015 - 52 (all year)
223 - 2016 - 44 (Jan 4 - Oct 31 inc.)
223 - 2017 - 00 (none)
232 - 2018 - 09 (Nov 5 - Dec 31 inc.)
275 - 2019 - 43 (Jan 7 - Oct 28 inc.)
281 - 2020 - 06 ( Feb 3 - Mar 9 inc.)

Respectfully,
masterclass

Reactions: Johnny Groove

·
Rankings Master
16,080 Posts
@Johnny Groove @masterclass March 9 counts as official, so, the ATP value of 281 is right. It all becomes unclear after that as ATP said nothing about rankings being frozen. We can only assume they would be suspended as well between the week of Mar 16 and the week of Apr 27.

·
Registered
223 Posts
All weeks will count, that will be the only rational decision. Also there won't be new ranking list tomorrow because that was supposed to be middle week of Indian Wells. So ATP will just add one more week to Novak at no. 1 tomorrow. Wait and see.

There are much more Rafa's and Roger's fans here then Novak's and logicly they want this weeks not to count. I hope that people in ATP will not think that way, and I hope that they will be much more realistic.

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Johnny Groove @masterclass March 9 counts as official, so, the ATP value of 281 is right. It all becomes unclear after that as ATP said nothing about rankings being frozen. We can only assume they would be suspended as well between the week of Mar 16 and the week of Apr 27.
I would also assume that all points scheduled to drop during the suspension, won't drop yet, but would all finally drop on the Monday following the suspension lifting. That is if they suspend the rankings (freeze) as I would expect them to do.

Regards,
masterclass

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
All weeks will count, that will be the only rational decision. Also there won't be new ranking list tommorow because that was supposed to be middle week of Indian Wells. So ATP will just add one more week to Novak at no. 1 tommorow. Wait and see.

There are much more Rafa's and Roger's fans here then Novak's and logicly they want this weeks not to count. I hope that people in ATP wil not think that way.
IW points drop date is 23. March, so, Djokovic was guaranteed 282 weeks at no.1, with or without IW cancellation.

After Nadal left the States (before they cancelled Miami too) Djokovic was guaranteed the top spot till MC's drop date i.e. 20.4, or 286 weeks.

·
Rankings Master
16,080 Posts
I would also assume that all points scheduled to drop during the suspension, won't drop yet, but would all finally drop on the Monday following the suspension lifting. That is if they suspend the rankings (freeze) as I would expect them to do.

Regards,
masterclass
That's right. If rankings are suspended, there are no new issues, and just like the 70s, players stay ranked at the Mar 9 position until a new issue drops all points by the date of the new issue. But, unlike the 70s, weeks between Mar 16 and the new issue date would not be ranking weeks as the tour was suspended. All we need here is confirmation from ATP, but we only get silence.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That's right. If rankings are suspended, there are no new issues, and just like the 70s, players stay ranked at the Mar 9 position until a new issue drops all points by the date of the new issue. But, unlike the 70s, weeks between Mar 16 and the new issue date would not be ranking weeks as the tour was suspended. All we need here is confirmation from ATP, but we only get silence.
Why? Can you tell me in which rule that is written? You are defenetly not the rankings master...

1 - 20 of 73 Posts