Mens Tennis Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Federer is like a hyena, waiting for Lion to go away so that he can prey on left over food. Without Nadal/Djokovic, Fed would've had high chances of winning FO last year, AO year year, and would've won Wimby last year. At a slam final, I won't count on Thiem or anyone from new gen to stop Federer, no matter how old/sluggish Fed is.

Federer the hyena is just hanging around, waiting for Nadal/Djokovic to slip.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
In the Djokovic-Federer SF at this year's Australian Open, the best tennis was played by Federer, not by Djokovic, as clearly the match was on Federer's racquet.
YOu are as usual, insane on the subject of fed and Djok. Totally insane.
Fed barely scraped by two players ranked outside the top 50, and only because they choked.
Djok beat the guy who beat Rafa who is the biggest threat to both Rafa and Djok.

I don't expect anything better from you on this subject, but there it is again.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
OP kind of full of it.
"Rafa a mug off clay"
He won the USo last year, and was beat AO by the next best player on HC after Djok, Thiem.
So really, you're full of it.

2nd, Fed appeared to be finished this year AO. He was great at Wimb last year, but that was last year, we'll see this year, but if AO was an indication: done.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Federer is a top favorite at Wimbledon of course. He did something there he had never done - outplaying both Nadal and Djokovic in the same slam. But when push came to shove in the tiebreaks (not to mention 40-15) he was not competitive in any of them. He had primal mental doubts of whether he could outplay ND when both strode out for the Gunfights at OK Corral.

I believe MTF had these same threads in 2015-2016 when Federer had gone three years without a slam and RN and ND were inching closer. When you took ND out of the mix he showed he could beat the rest to win AO and W. I think he still could but he needs someone else to remove ND as I do not believe he thinks in his core being that he can beat Djokovic in best of 5 unless the latter is injured or had to play the day before due to weather, etc. But that last option has been removed by the roofs. I believe he is hanging on with the hope that he catches some breaks at W or AO. Otherwise I think he understands the situation.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
a threat?...for Tennys, maybe

·
Registered
143 Posts
The way he got lucky with weak era opponents from 2001-2006, and needing slow hard courts and low bounce grass, I doubt he would’ve been superior with super fast courts.
Novak’s serve got steadily better in the last 7 years, so the only reasons Grandpa could win were when Novak got back to being injured and hugging Brainwasher Imaz and holding hands with his brother in love conferences.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Wimbledon is make or break for Fed. Its over If he loses there this year. He'll be finally washed up by next season.

And even to win Wimbledon he has to avoid a few guys. I don't think he beats Nadal again there. Definitely wont beak Djoker. You got a few big hitters around that if he runs into him will take him out too. Hes gonna need big time form AND to avoid specific players

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Just because Federer blew two championship points on his serve, we should give him a slack and wait until Wimbledon later this year. There is no guarantee that Federer will replicate the same performance in 2020 like in 2019. A year is too long; player's form can change, new players or threats can emerge, and a lot of things change in a year, especially when he is going to be 39/40 in a few months. See, in 2017, he won Wimbledon, but lost in QF to Anderson in Wimbledon 2018 after being 2-0 sets up. A servebot or big server can take him down like Raonic in 2016 and Anderson in 2018.

I will wait until July before I shut the door at anyone who says "Fed can still win majors."

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Just because Federer blew two championship points on his serve, we should give him a slack and wait until Wimbledon later this year. There is no guarantee that Federer will replicate the same performance in 2020 like in 2019. A year is too long; player's form can change, new players or threats can emerge, and a lot of things change in a year, especially when he is going to be 39/40 in a few months. See, in 2017, he won Wimbledon, but lost in QF to Anderson in Wimbledon 2018 after being 2-0 sets up. A servebot or big server can take him down like Raonic in 2016 and Anderson in 2018.

I will wait until July before I shut the door at anyone who says "Fed can still win majors."
I hope not but given how pathetic his draw was at AO this year already, I won't be shocked if he's handed another cakewalk at Wimby. Replicate AO draw at Wimby and Fed is guaranteed to make SF at least.

·
Your visions will happen
46,939 Posts
Agreed. Fed can still vulture a slam with the right draw and maybe an upset or two so he only has to play one of Rafa or Nole, not both, or better yet, neither

This new AO surface seems slower, and the USO too humid and let's not even discuss RG. Best chance by far at Wimbledon

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Fed wont gett a better opportunity than he had had Wimbledon last year. Beating Djoker and Nadal to seal the slam deal. That opportunity wont present itself again. He wont play as well again at Wimbledon as he did last year (That was basically a fluke performance)

IT was all there. One point away beating Nadal and Djoker. He blew it. Nole wont play that bad again and Fed wont play that good. Nadal wont gift him again like he did at Wimbledon last year either

·
Your visions will happen
46,939 Posts
Federer is like a hyena, waiting for Lion to go away so that he can prey on left over food. Without Nadal/Djokovic, Fed would've had high chances of winning FO last year, AO year year, and would've won Wimby last year. At a slam final, I won't count on Thiem or anyone from new gen to stop Federer, no matter how old/sluggish Fed is.

Federer the hyena is just hanging around, waiting for Nadal/Djokovic to slip.
Federer: "Let's hang around and see what's going on"

·
Premium Member
9,025 Posts
Well of course there are those rigged draws to attract crowds and maintain Floperer bandwagon....

Those can give him a Slam if both Djokovic and Nadal can loose to a young gun who collapse following round....

But TBH it is something like 2 years with Djokodal undisputed in Slams and considering Federer level of play in AO, his 21th is less and less probable.

Last year he was quite good in Hopman and AO, very good in Sunshine Double, and quite good on Clay again before collapsing in WImbledon....

His 2020 AO was poor, let see if he can regroup and find the same standards like in 2019 plus some balls to win WImbledon.

·
Registered
504 Posts
At a slam final, I won't count on Thiem or anyone from new gen to stop Federer, no matter how old/sluggish Fed is.
Wrong.

In the final, Fed would already have 6 matches in the legs.

He would not be competitive for more than a set.

Thiem would be favorite, as he already beat Fed 5 times out of 7 on just about every surface.

·
Premium Member
9,025 Posts
He has not gone off yet.He is still there.Still a threat for Majors,owing to a good draw and injuries he can still nick a Grand Slam or two.Then off we go again,chasing a 21 or 22..Almost seems like impossible,more so for a Novak fan..

What do you feel about it?
At least not a threat for the next four months, and probably more unless some "miracles" from Swiss doctors.....

But TBH I was very wondering about a threat anyway as I posted in this thread before.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts