Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Novak was always treated somewhat shabbily by the media and fans alike when it comes to legacy (and GOAThood?).

It may be understandable due to the omnipresence of the tennis (almost) GODs in his era - one with an insurmountable 17 slams and the other with lower but still a substantial 14 and dominating Clay like no one before.

But from a pure tennis POV , Novak does look to be better than both at times and really very little faults you can find with him ... whether in terms of skill set , stamina or stroke-making - may I say on all surface types (a rarity!!) .
He has beaten both top dogs at their peaks (if Fedtards agree abt Fed;s peak years) but peak Rafa has deffo struggled against peak Nole. This coming from a Rafa tard.

Off court and behavior also is very much in line with how a sport ambassador should look like.
I always feel that people have to dig deep to find something negative to say - ( faking for one ) and those barrels are also fast going dry.

So what is stopping him to be a challenger to the ultimate prize ? Why the negative attitude for the Djoker King !!

Before people point that out , I don't believe its race thing (if east EU can even be considered a discriminated race) . because I have seen multiple champs go to great heights despite all the racial stereotypes stacked against them.

So personally - what is the reason he is NOT in your GOAT books? If he is- well and good - you can still chime in as to why & when he ended up there.

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Just like Nadal is too dependent on clay, Djokovic is too dependent on hardcourt. All his slams bearing 2 are on the hardcourts and the majority of his masters series 1000s are additionally also on hardcourt, bearing the odd couple of claycourt victories in Rome and Monte Carlo.

He needs to win atleast two French Opens and another Wimbledon before we assess him as being more WELL SPREAD and ALL ROUND as a player as Federer. Federer is an all-court genius and his evenly spread slam and masters tally is indicative of that.

I'll say Djokovic is certainly ahead of the French Open hogger. Nadal. The major difference being his world tour finals victories. Four! That's more than Federer and to win a HATRICK of them ALL IN ONE ROW is not only remarkable, IT'S INCREDIBLY RARE.

Novak Djokovic is what I would call the 'text book' tennis player for modern day tennis. Coaches will use his double handed backhand on video to their students and his footwork preparation before every shot. He gives himself so much time to hit the ball and that's most of what makes him so great and effective.

Nadal will keep taking mud baths to make him look better, but there you go, he'll never pip Djokovic when he is limited to one shot and only great movement on a claycourt.

I'd still have Federer, Sampras and Laver comfortably ahead of him, though I'd say no one has ever 'moved' better around a hardcourt, either when going toe to toe with a player or defensively. Ever! It's admirable and from another planet.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He needs at least 10 slams and ideally a RG too to be there. If he stays healthy, he will have a good shot at goatness. :)
10 Slams more OR just total 10 . I hope you mean latter.
Anyhow- while I agree that winning that many slams does give to credibility , its more a function of longetivity than tennis prowess.

Skill wise - he is already there with those guys .. actually ahead . So we at MTF who are supposed to be the know-alls abt this sport should recognise him better if not the general media.

But I agree - double digit slam count is a first MUST !! And also that he will get there easy!

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just like Nadal is too dependent on clay, Djokovic is too dependent on hardcourt. All his slams bearing 2 are on the hardcourts and the majority of his masters series 1000s are additionally also on hardcourt, bearing the odd couple of claycourt victories in Rome and Monte Carlo.

He needs to win atleast two French Opens and another Wimbledon before we assess him as being more WELL SPREAD and ALL ROUND as a player as Federer. Federer is an all-court genius and his evenly spread slam and masters tally is indicative of that.

I'll say Djokovic is certainly ahead of the French Open hogger. Nadal. The major difference being his world tour finals victories. Four! That's more than Federer and to win a HATRICK of them ALL IN ONE ROW is not only remarkable, IT'S INCREDIBLY RARE.

Novak Djokovic is what I would call the 'text book' tennis player for modern day tennis. Coaches will use his double handed backhand on video to their students and his footwork preparation before every shot. He gives himself so much time to hit the ball and that's most of what makes him so great and effective.

Nadal will keep taking mud baths to make him look better, but there you go, he'll never pip Djokovic when he is limited to one shot and only great movement on a claycourt.

I'd still have Federer, Sampras and Laver comfortably ahead of him, though I'd say no one has ever 'moved' better around a hardcourt, either when going toe to toe with a player or defensively. Ever! It's admirable and from another planet.
The only hole is Clay - so lets say 1 RG. and TBH if he wins 1 there wont be much trouble getting to 2.

Rest of the Nadal bashing - I wont comment on , but I will agree that Nol is ahead of Nadal but Nadal has won a few stinkers I never thought I will see him win - so I wil give tht to Rafa.

Now taht brings me to my fave subject - what makes Federer more worthy than Novak? besides longetivity.
Only that Fed is more natural (or looks like one) vs Nole who is more textbook.

And I will simply disagree with the Sampras and LAver as there s no overlap. ALtho if I absolutely had to put money on one - I will choose Nole

·
Banned
9,211 Posts
Anyhow- while I agree that winning that many slams does give to credibility , its more a function of longetivity than tennis prowess.

Skill wise - he is already there with those guys .. actually ahead . So we at MTF who are supposed to be the know-alls abt this sport should recognise him better if not the general media.

But I agree - double digit slam count is a first MUST !! And also that he will get there easy!
:haha:

This is hysterical. Know alls? You must be fairly fortunate with the threads you click on, because the level of ignorance around here is cringe-worthy to anyone who has played or been involved in some decent way with the game. :facepalm:

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
He needs at least 10 slams and ideally a RG too to be there. If he stays healthy, he will have a good shot at goatness. :)
at least 10 slams? let's be realistic here, he's needs a lot more than 10 slams

I can't believe this thread is even a question. Roger Federer has practically superior stats at every single event and occasion in professional tennis yet this thread is even speculated? Novak would need 15+ Grand Slams, wayyyyyyyyyy more weeks at #1, and periods of dominance. sorry but 2011 alone is not even close to comparable to 2004-2007

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Nole would have been in the GOAT discussion if he was a dumbass in some of the finals he gave away. He should have won that US Open final against Murray. Coming back from 2 sets down, I thought he was going to win it ... The French Open semi and that "mistake" .... is going to haunt him forever if he does not win the French. He also should have probably beaten Nishikori last year. This guy's game is so good, I can't believe he is still under 10 with slam wins. He has the most balanced offense/defense game, and it's sad that in this era, he has not won more slams.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:haha:

This is hysterical. Know alls? You must be fairly fortunate with the threads you click on, because the level of ignorance around here is cringe-worthy to anyone who has played or been involved in some decent way with the game. :facepalm:
Well I said - " supposed to be " and yes - there are ignorant posts around but compared to the rest of the internet , this site should be able to provide some insight abt the sport that is hard to find elsewhere.
I have certainly learnt a few things and started seeing things different. Some from your own posts , even though most of yours are inundated with hyperbole and vitriol and laced with an entitled attitude.

·
Stefan 2034
929 Posts
If he hadn't fucked up so many USO finals, he would be in a much better position. I don't think any of even his biggest stans expect him to ever be in the GOAT discussion. He simply has too much ground to make up and not enough time. But, if he can get to around 12 slams and Nadal doesn't win anymore off clay, I think one could make a case that Nole is the greater player. He will pass Rafa in weeks @ #1 in April, granted that he doesn't bomb out early in Indian Wells and Miami. Especially if he can grab an RG title and maybe another Wimbledon on his way to 12-13, it wouldn't be preposterous at all to consider him to be greater than Nadal.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
He is a damn good player on Clay Courts too.. Easily could have dominated the Clay field if not for just one person Named Nadal. He is an Extremely good all round court player.

I see all the reasons for him being in GOAT Category only for him to get results and prove it to everybody.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
But from a pure tennis POV , Novak does look to be better than both at times and really very little faults you can find with him ... whether in terms of skill set , stamina or stroke-making - may I say on all surface types (a rarity!!) .
He has beaten both top dogs at their peaks (if Fedtards agree abt Fed;s peak years) but peak Rafa has deffo struggled against peak Nole. This coming from a Rafa tard.

Off court and behavior also is very much in line with how a sport ambassador should look like.
I always feel that people have to dig deep to find something negative to say - ( faking for one ) and those barrels are also fast going dry.
Finally someone who gets it. Faith in MTF restored.

And yeah, Djokovic is one of the best ever. A true GOAT.

·
Registered
5,133 Posts
At this time Novak is a tier 2 all time great, with the possibility of reaching the tier 1 level. To do that he needs to at least equal Borg's 11 slams, at least 1 FO another 2 USO, one more Wimbledon. Another few AO's would be icing on the cake. He has the ability to achieve this, if he has the desire and stays mostly injury free. It will be tough though.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
:spit:

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
A bit too early for this surely? He needs at least another 6 slams to even get into the conversation...not saying he can't but it's too early. OP is probably trolling.

Novak turns 30 in 2017...he'll need every year till 2017 to be a multi slam year to get into the conversation....again not impossible but you wouldn't bet on it.

·
Premium Member
21,950 Posts

I thought we are not talking what does he need to surpass Federer, because that is obvious, he needs more slams than Federer first and ofremost. However, to be 'among the goats', double digit + RG should be enough.

·
Your visions will happen
52,902 Posts
Let's focus on Dubai first

Seriously people 17>14>8 and that's all there is to it, all the other stats only come in when slam number is tied

The gap between Nole and Nadal is double that of Nadal to Federer

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Let's focus on Dubai first

Seriously people 17>14>8 and that's all there is to it, all the other stats only come in when slam number is tied

The gap between Nole and Nadal is double that of Nadal to Federer
JG, did you happen to update your GOAT list?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
all time great for sure, goat less likely apart from AO goat which he already is.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
At least 12 (probably 13, depending on other results) Slams and some more WTFs, weeks at #1, maybe OG Gold, Cincy... to make the debate.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts