Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the score says this wasnt even close. people who thought chung would shine on grass..yeah, i dont see it

·
Registered
13,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Nottingham R2: Mayer def. Chung 6-3, 6-1

First set was close.
Chung is still young and loosing to Mayer on grass was expected.
it was. but its kind of funny because i remember after he got obliterated in his first round of qualifying at the french open there were a fair number of people who said he'd recover and do well on grass. here we are now and he's done nothing

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

Chung has very, very little main tour experience, and of course is grossly overranked now due to the challenger wins. I think his realistic goal this year in WB is reaching 2R. The kid's still green as hell on this level, and you shouldn't expect the Kyrgios kind of explosiveness from a player of his type.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts

Chung has very, very little main tour experience, and of course is grossly overranked now due to the challenger wins. I think his realistic goal this year in WB is reaching 2R. The kid's still green as hell on this level, and you shouldn't expect the Kyrgios kind of explosiveness from a player of his type.
Losing in R1 is realistic unless he has a good draw.

When the HC season starts again, he'll start adjusting and grinding on the Main Tour. His CH results allow him time and stress free playing for months.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

Losing in R1 is realistic unless he has a good draw.
Of course he will need a certain amount of luck to reach the 2nd round. All I'm saying is that one win in WB should be regarded as success for him at his current level.

·
Banned
4,868 Posts

Of course he will need a certain amount of luck to reach the 2nd round. All I'm saying is that one win in WB should be regarded as success for him at his current level.
Same goes for Coric. Zverev and Kokkinakis might do more. Especially Kokk since he usually has great draws in Slams

·
Registered
769 Posts

chung vs ramos was crazy to watch, they played non stop baseline rallies.

expected scoreline today

·
Registered
3,854 Posts

Same goes for Coric. Zverev and Kokkinakis might do more. Especially Kokk since he usually has great draws in Slams
Great draws in slams?:confused:

First, impossible to predict what Kokkinakis will get a Wimbledon as unseeded.

Second,the Kokk has actually had crap draws. Out of three main draw outings so far, run stopped by meeting world no 1 early in two of them (AO 2013 RG Nadal R2; RG 15 Djokovic R3) and in his other outing drew world no 13 (managed to win and destroy his confidence in the process, but still), getting world no 13 in r1 when you are ranked 147 is hardly a 'great draw'!

·
Banned
4,868 Posts

Great draws in slams?:confused:

First, impossible to predict what Kokkinakis will get a Wimbledon as unseeded.

Second,the Kokk has actually had crap draws. Out of three main draw outings so far, run stopped by meeting world no 1 early in two of them (AO 2013 RG Nadal R2; RG 15 Djokovic R3) and in his other outing drew world no 13 (managed to win and destroy his confidence in the process, but still), getting world no 13 in r1 when you are ranked 147 is hardly a 'great draw'!
Get off it. R3 was max for Kokk in RG. He's lucky he got two easy rounds because if he had for example, Coric's draw he'd be out in R1 or R2. Not to mention his IW draw. Considering his ranking, his draws at big tourneys are amazing.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts

Get off it. R3 was max for Kokk in RG. He's lucky he got two easy rounds because if he had for example, Coric's draw he'd be out in R1 or R2. Not to mention his IW draw. Considering his ranking, his draws at big tourneys are amazing.
Amazing to get to 2 two 1s so early? :haha:

If he'd had Coric's draw he would have made at least R4 and possibly further. Coric's first round was a very winnable (in five sets) Querrey (yes Kokk lost to him last time, but that was in a 3 setter; took Coric four to get past him and five setters are Kokk's strength); then had someone who has only 6 match wins this year, 60 in the race. Coric lost to 37 Jack Sock; pretty sure Kokk could have won that one. Would have loved to see him take on Nadal as well given how well he went against Djoker...

·
Registered
3,854 Posts

PS Coric v top 50 this year: 4-14; Kokkinakis v top 50 this year: 7-5.

On the face of it, if he'd had the draw ops that Coric has had by virtue of his ranking, the Kokk would be ahead.

Each has a win over a player the other lost to, viz GGL for Kokk; Querrey for Coric; Coric lost to Chardy earlier in the year, won later as has Kokk. Both lost to Tomic at IW (and once earlier as well for Kokk), but Kokk has subsequently beaten him.

In reality they probably aren't that far apart in levels - they've both been beaten by Lajovic, Karlovic and Simon.

Still, Kokk still has a way to go before his real playing level is reflected in his ranking. By contrast Coric's race and ranking are now within a place of each other, and hard to see him going deep at Wimbledon in any case given aversion to cow fodder.

Most likely youngsters to jump up big at Wimbledon: Zverev and Kokkinakis; least likely Chung and Coric.

All dependent on the draw though...

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Dear Kateoz, I don't know if you notice it, but every time when Kokkinakis and Coric are being discussed in the same thread, you go coo coo cray cray over it. Just chill. All he said was that Kokkinakis' been getting nice draws (in his opinion), that's not a dig on Kokkinakis, plenty of players got nice draws and couldn't capitalize. He's obviously been playing Top 50 level tennis, no one is saying otherwise, you don't have to be THIS sensitive about it.

And if you are going to argue, don't say things like "I know he lost to Querrey, but it was in 3 sets" or "pretty sure he could have won that one".

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Registered
3,854 Posts

Dear Kateoz, I don't know if you notice it, but every time when Kokkinakis and Coric are being discussed in the same thread, you go coo coo cray cray over it. Just chill. All he said was that Kokkinakis' been getting nice draws (in his opinion), that's not a dig on Kokkinakis, plenty of players got nice draws and couldn't capitalize. He's obviously been playing Top 50 level tennis, no one is saying otherwise, you don't have to be THIS sensitive about it.

And if you are going to argue, don't say things like "I know he lost to Querrey, but it was in 3 sets" or "pretty sure he could have won that one".

Dar Benji47, Perhaps you haven't noticed it, but have a look back over the threads relating to the teens.

Every time any of the teens have a thread relating to them, Svenbj and the other Bornatards find an excuse to sing the praises of Mr Coric and make over-inflated claims about his prospects. I actually don't mind that so much, though it does get annoying in the frequency with which they hijack threads (not to mention the frequent creation of ridiculous threads like 'Borna is superstar', Bornia is ranked.. which surely belong more in a player forum.).

What I really object to is that they also feel the need to denigrate the competition and put the knife into the Chung, Zverev, Kokk and the other rising teens. It's the cumulative effect that concerns me. My responses are actually pretty infrequent (and pretty mild) in comparison, just stand out because no-one else bothers arguing with them.

I know ridiculous claims are the very stuff of this forum, but every now and then I just feel the need to remind people of some facts.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Puh-lease.

That was a nice version of calling you out. You are obviously allergic to reasons so here's a not so nice version, mr obsessive hypocritical butthurt fanboy. Don't make me pull out all your history of saying you're "not a Coric hater" but at the same time going out of your way to bring up a comparison with Kokkinakis in every single one of his result thread. You are so bothered with that ranking number in front of Coric's name your whole life is consumed by it, it's sad.

This thread? I don't see anyone trashing Kokkinakis the way you've been bashing Coric? Someone mentioned "nice draws" and you went nuts. You are the definition of a "tard", and you are dismissed, goodbye.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts