7,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Reactions: enlightenedth

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
@cmchelsea @NextGenKing Goldberg lol
So the Fiend takes a thousand running knees from Daniel Bryan and doesn't lose and takes a million curb stomps from Rollins and doesn't lose, but he takes a terrible jackhammer from Goldberg and loses. I'm not even surprised.
Mate... horrific. Awful company now...worse by the year

·
The special one
14,167 Posts
Mate... horrific. Awful company now...worse by the year
@cmchelsea @NextGenKing Goldberg lol
So the Fiend takes a thousand running knees from Daniel Bryan and doesn't lose and takes a million curb stomps from Rollins and doesn't lose, but he takes a terrible jackhammer from Goldberg and loses. I'm not even surprised.
Goldberg winning the title is a joke. For one he's 53 years old and can't last more than 3 mins and constantly botches moves and has been on TV 3 times in the last 3 years, it just makes the full time guys that do this week after week look like jokes.

That WM card looks pretty stacked though.

Brock v McIntyre
Taker v AJ Styles
Goldberg v Reigns
Cena v The Fiend
Orton v Edge

And Tyson Fury is also rumoured to be in a match, possibly with Braun in a tag match. The WM card on paper looks like the best it's been in a few years.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
This is why PL is the best league in the world. 2nd from bottom utterly rinsing a team that hasn't been beaten in about eighteen months in the league.

English Premier League, numero uno.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
This is why PL is the best league in the world. 2nd from bottom utterly rinsing a team that hasn't been beaten in about eighteen months in the league.

English Premier League, numero uno.
EPL is the most dramatic but I've become fond of the Serie A right now. I think of the big 5 leagues they have scored the most goals (surprising right?) and Atalanta and Lazio are so fun to watch. I want to start watching more of the bundesliga as well. As a faux football hipster, I want to be able to watch Leipzig

·
Super Moderator
8,407 Posts
Saarbrücken first fourth tier club to ever stand in SFs of German cup, Bayern in SFs too.

Liverpool out

·
Super Moderator
8,407 Posts
Just came on air on Radio COPE España, UEFA will apparently announce tomorrow the suspension of its tournaments until further notice after de Ligt's and Rugani's confirmed Corona case. European Championship in June more or less suspended too now.

Bundesliga to decide on Monday if they'll suspend and UPDATE: La Liga will probably announce tomorrow at 2pm that they're gonna stop for two weeks too. Ligue 1 about to stop after this weekend as well

Football fans, what do you think? Shall they call it a season or wait a few weeks? Do we need to postpone the EC?

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
When I was watching yesterday's epic match between Liverpool and Atletico I thought it might be last normal match: with full stadium, great atmosphere and drama. I'm glad that I watched it. We are in for a dark period and the epidemy peak is still ahead. Most sporting events during next few months will be cancelled.

·
Premium Member
8,292 Posts

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta tested positive for Covid 19. Surely they have to postpone the Premier League now.

·
Super Moderator
8,407 Posts
So all confirmed by now

·
Super Moderator
8,407 Posts
Bayern Munich crowned again, this is getting boring, thoughts? @IBM
I enjoy every title tbh and don’t care if it’s getting boring. However, I’d love to have another real big German club which could battle for CL SFs and QFs, Dortmund sadly always shit the bed when it matters

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I enjoy every title tbh and don’t care if it’s getting boring. However, I’d love to have another real big German club which could battle for CL SFs and QFs, Dortmund sadly always shit the bed when it matters
What are your thoughts on RB Leipzig and Hoffeinhem?

As an outsider to German football, I'm used to people buying clubs and throwing money at it, so I don't see anything wrong (especially for Hoffeinhem, since the owner is a fan and a former player), but I realize that in Germany, it's a different culture over there.

·
Super Moderator
8,407 Posts
What are your thoughts on RB Leipzig and Hoffeinhem?

As an outsider to German football, I'm used to people buying clubs and throwing money at it, so I don't see anything wrong (especially for Hoffeinhem, since the owner is a fan and a former player), but I realize that in Germany, it's a different culture over there.
Yeah there is actually quite a big favoritism towards 'traditional clubs' which have quite a big fanbase as they have played a lot of years in the 1. or 2. Bundesliga and are now in the fourth division. So in contrary to most of the other football countries there is a big 'support your local club'-mentality in Germany.

There are two things to know about the Bundesliga and its fan demographics: We are a) the most densely populated country in Europe (bar Russia) with over 85 Million, but in the first two divisions we only have 36 clubs. Most of the other big leagues have 20 or more even in their 2nd divisions. And b) because of the Wiedervereinigung we had to amalgamate two league systems into one, quite to the disadvantage of the East German football clubs.

So the slots for the first professional leagues (as the 3. Liga as third division is the last professional league and only has 20 slots for football clubs as well) are very limited to only a very few. And as above mentioned there is quite a big football romanticism in Germany and kind of a traditionalism as well, there are far too many people of former first division clubs who still support their club and are angry as some 'new plastic club' takes over the slot of their beloved regional, former big club. That is mostly the issue as the Bundesliga is changing club wise quite dramatically the past 20 years.

Former Bundesliga clubs like Kaiserslautern or Rot-Weiss Essen are still getting attendances of 10k people in their stadiums despite being in 3rd resp. 4th division. There was even once the case when Wolfsburg had a CL-knockout match against KAA Gent like five years ago which was visited by like 15k people iirc, while the third division club Magdeburg got 18k attendance at the very same evening to the very same time. Both cities aren't that far away from each other as well, too.

So yes, there is still quite a huge loyalty to your club here in Germany what I really like and you just become a fan from the club your dad/grandad support or where you went to the stadium first. In my case my mom convinced me to be a Bayern fan btw as I hated them before. Hence newer clubs like Hoffenheim which just got some attention back then in 2007, when they invested quite some money in the 3rd division, or RB Leipzig which just got founded in 2009 even have issues to get to the hearts of German football fans.

In the region of Hoffenheim there is Karlsruhe and Mannheim in the near, two cities with very historic clubs and a huge fanbase. Besides Baden-Württemberg is quite a VfB Stuttgart-tard region anyway; and on the other hand you have RB Leipzig where Lokomotive Leipzig (fighting now in a Play-Off match against Verl for promotion to 3rd division) or Chemie Leipzig, let alone Halle or Dresden and many more have huge fanbases before they even existed already. Ten years ago we had the very same discussions about Leverkusen and Wolfsburg which are nolens volens kind of accepted already. Something I guess both clubs will get to too once they reach like 15 years of being in the Bundesliga.

Quintessentially there is to be said that the Bundesligen have just insufficient slots for German demography with its multiple populated cities. Since new clubs with investors and money 'buy' their way through to top tier, there are many people who find that very annoying.

As for me I find clubs which can challenge Bayern very refreshing, hence I absolutely support RB Leipzig becoming bigger, although I really have a soft spot for all these former big clubs which still get full support from the stands in the lower tiers. It's just a pity to be honest where I feel torn myself too. They could just help to gain back more fluctuation with giving more professional slots (especially 2. Budesliga and 3. Liga) to them. It has become some kind of elephant in the room as people tend to avoid to talk about these topics here as they know there will be no substantial change anyway.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Thanks for the reply @IBM . As much as I would like a new winner in Germany, I do like how Bayern play with the new manager.
Alaba has to be one of the smartest players in the game. The way he has adjusted at left back has been incredible.
Davies is incredible and Muller and to a lesser extent Boateng are rejuvenated.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts