Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Re: Tomas won Golden Canary *Czech award* for 3rd time in a row

When I first read that article, I thought it was a joke :p Why is that award named after a bird :confused: Who votes (reporters, tennis professionals, public):confused: Besides a trophy (bird cage:confused: ) what does the winner get :confused: Is it given during a tennis tournament (event) :confused: pics :confused:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

Thanks for the pics and the info Interlaken :wavey:

The trophy doesn't look Canary yellow to me.

·
Registered
685 Posts

well done,Berdy! :kiss:

·
Registered
5,180 Posts

Thanks for the explanation! :hug: Very interesting.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

A Czech sport journalist was kind enough and sent me an e-mail for the meaning of Zlaty Kanar/ Golden Kanary. His explanation:

Yes - "kanar" means "canary" in English. However, "kanar" is also the czech synonym for the set that you win 6:0 in tennis game (don´t ask me why, please:)). So it´s kind of a symbol of tennis success. And "Zlaty"? It means "Golden" in English.

interesting, no? :)
Thanks Interlaken :wavey:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts

A Czech sport journalist was kind enough and sent me an e-mail for the meaning of Zlaty Kanar/ Golden Kanary. His explanation:
Yes - "kanar" means "canary" in English. However, "kanar" is also the czech synonym for the set that you win 6:0 in tennis game (don´t ask me why, please:)). So it´s kind of a symbol of tennis success. And "Zlaty"? It means "Golden" in English.
So....it's more like a Golden Bagel in this context then?:scratch:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts

YES this is true, in Czech we have this phrase " to get a 'kanar' " means lose (set) 0-6 or " to give a 'kanar' " win 6-0 ;)

sorry I haven't been here for a long time, i'm busy with school, so didn't notice the convo

anyway, congrats Tomas!! :bigclap:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts