• No Big 4 in Final

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Nadal, Murray and Federer being at the same half, Nadal quite vulnerable as ever and this is his least successful Clay Masters, Federer still being vulnerable (like against Nishikori in Miami) and does have a tough draw, Djokovic withdrawing due to recovery of his injury and Murray being in a Clay Final is really a big longshot do you think this Masters could be the first time since Monte Carlo 2010, non-Pairs where the 2 Finalists is not part of this dominant force in the Masters? If not, which one goes to the top?

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Nadal def. shock finalist was my early prediction and I'm sticking with it.

Wawa hasn't shown enough consistency to suggest he's a lock for the final as most seem to think.

·
Registered
11,781 Posts
Well, nobody is a lock these days, not even Nadal on clay.

So if Stan hasn't shown enough for you at the very top, who else has shown more consistency, Ferrer?

Respectfully,
masterclass

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
In a clay event in 2014, you can replace Murray with Stan as a Big 4 player.

I'd go even so far that I'd replace Rafa with Ferrer.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
I'd go even so far that I'd replace Rafa with Ferrer.
No. Ferrer couldn't make the Rio final and went out his first match in Barca.

Nadal def. shock finalist was my early prediction and I'm sticking with it.

Wawa hasn't shown enough consistency to suggest he's a lock for the final as most seem to think.
I don't think most are calling him a lock, just the de facto favorite considering his half and the fact that he's had the best year thus far.

And I think either Nadal or Fed makes the final. Which that will be depends entirely upon whether Nadal can actually get to the SF: a Nadal good enough to get to a SF should be good enough to get past Olderer on clay.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
^ But favorite is different from lock and he's the favorite largely because of problems elsewhere at the top of the game. Besides Stan having the best overall year thus far and the only clay Masters, you have all the other top contenders either injured, in poor form or just simply old. He's definitely a very shaky favorite atm and will immediately lose that status if Nadal wins here or he himself goes out early; he'd also have lost it going into Rome if Djoko had been healthy enough to play and won here.

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Read around. He's practically the favourite for the title around these parts.
Well you could still be the favorite (based on latest form of the players concerned) but not be a lock. Nadal is hard to say to be the favorite IMO here due to his latest form, Madrid being his least successful Clay Masters, and no one has defended Madrid before. Federer I guess could be said as de facto favorite in the big picture but has problems if he would face Nadal, and could get bounced off if he lowers his game against a hot player. Stan at least has been relatively clean in his Clay matches (although only on MC) hence the "favorite" title.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
please nadal in the final...

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nadal vs. Wawrinka in the final is NID now though.
Yeah probably -- on paper it does seem now that it should be a cakewalk for both now, but I can't bank on them based on this years' swings concerning the players.

·
23,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, well, well -- 3 of the Top 4 are not in the remaining draw. Could it be NIDal in Madrid, making him the first ATP player to defend it? Or is there a twist brewing like this last match?

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
My prediction looking good :scratch:...

They are usually utter flops.

I hope I am wrong. It becomes a very interesting tournament if Nadal goes out... But he's the king of turning potentially interesting tournaments into tedious NIDfests.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts