Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In Wimbledon 2014, Nole was coming off a 5 slam drought ( and had won only 1 out of the previous 9). Post Wimbledon 2014, he went on a tear and won 5 of the next 6.

Federer in Wimbledon 2012 was 0 out of the previous 9 slams. Post Wimbledon 2012, as we know, he didnt win again until AO 2017.

Nole was 0 out of 7 ( excluding the skipped USO) before the current Wimbledon

Obviously both Federer in 2012 and Nole in 2014 had very consistent 2 years prior even if they werent winning slams and were didnt have any injury concerns like Nole did in 2017.

NOle's 31 currently, same age as Federer in 2012.

So will Nole go on a tear like he did in 2014, or will he have a Federer like career in his 30's-- still a force but not doing well enough to win (many) slams

The big difference is ofcourse Federer had an ATG in Nole to stop him from winning big in the 2014-15 period while Nole has generation useless and Next Gen.

Anyway, my view is that Nole has a small window to dominate now. I think eventually Zverev will make his move, start winning slams and become a dominant force and 1 or 2 of the other NextGen members will also step up.

Nole has a window between now end of next year or early 2020, say USO 2019 or AO 2020. He needs to win as many slams as possible by then, post which he may not win more than one slam at max.

Can he win 3 or 4 out of the next 6 slams. Federer's record is probably still out of reach but he may have a shot at Rafa's if he can do this.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Cant compare them two, Federer did not win because of supercompetition (from peakNovak himself) 2014-2015.

There will be no Novak 2014-2015 in 2019-2020.

But on the other hand I doubt Novak can even play at the same level of Federer 2014-2015 ever again, but he probably wont have to.

I expect Novak to win another 3 slams or so for the next 3 years or so. The competition between the oldies will get another dimension and it is good for the game.

Nadal-Federer came back to dominate the game and win 6 straight slams, no young players could put up a fight and add some spice to tennis, and so Djokovic came back to once more end Fedal hegomeny.

Does it feel like dejavu?

Will be interesting to see at them at mid 30s and Fed at early 40s, who the hell knows with this crazy tennis age?

·
justice for all
13,099 Posts
It's not surprising to see so many overreactions especially from the Djokovic fans but honestly speaking this Djokovic's win was a bit fortunate and as the matter he's far from his best level in 2015 and early 2016. And he'll never reach it again as he is well past his prime being 31 and not getting any younger. It's delusional to expect him to dominate the way he did back then. Yes he may win another slam or two but he'll not dominate like he once did.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Cant compare them two, Federer did not win because of supercompetition (from peakNovak himself) 2014-2015.

But on the other hand I doubt Novak can even play at the same level of Federer 2014-2015 ever again, but he probably wont have to.

I expect Novak to win another 3 slams or so for the next 3 years or so. The competition between the oldies will get another dimension and it is good for the game.

Nadal-Federer came back to dominate the game and win 6 straight slams, no young players could put up a fight and add some spice to tennis, and so Djokovic came back to once more end Fedal hegomeny.

Will be interesting to see at them at mid 30s and Fed at early 40s, who the hell knows with this crazy tennis age?
Absolutely spot on! In addition, Fed was injured in 2013 and the season was basically a write off, then he injured himself at W 2016. So essentially you are correct, only peak Novak stopped Fed in 2014/ 15 and we are talking about a 32-34 year old vs a 26 - 28 year old. The time period where Fed lost those finals to Nole and semi to Cilic are just being entered by Rafa. We will see how it unfolds, but his primary competition will be a 37-38 yr old Fed and 31-32 yr old Nole, not exactly the same as peak 2014-15 Joker.

Let's see what happens...

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Dont think Fed has much left in him. US Open is his last realistic shot and may be Wimbledon 2019 ( but at 38, its still a stretch). He may not even play more than 4 or maximum 6 slams from here before he retires.

Rafa's non-clay chances are essentially at USO 2018/AO 19. He can probably contend on clay till FO 2021 at max.

Djokovic has a good runway ahead from now till end of 2019. Beyond that I expect Zverev to start dominating. But if noone from the next gen really picks up the gauntlet, then its possible Nole could dominate at the non-clay slams and Rafa on clay from 19-21

·
Banned
9,595 Posts
No1e is just getting started. He has improved so much since even a month ago and will continue to improve and will dominate and win everything again.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not surprising to see so many overreactions especially from the Djokovic fans but honestly speaking this Djokovic's win was a bit fortunate and as the matter he's far from his best level in 2015 and early 2016. And he'll never reach it again as he
Code:
is well past his prime being 31 and not getting any younger. It's delusional to expect him to dominate the way he did back then. Yes he may win another slam or two but he'll not dominate like he once did.
I am defintely not a Djokovic fan:grin2: and yes, his fans may deny it but he was hardly at his peak in this wimmbledon ( may be was 70% of his peak). But who knows, this might well be the trigger for him to dominate from now on, especially considering part of his downfall in the past 2-3 years was due to mental/ motivational issues. Next few events will give a clue. If he can dominate from now till the end of the year, then the rest of the tour will again start to fear his aura and that itself will give him several easy wins.

·
Registered
906 Posts
None of you are spot on. You are speculating big time.

There is a very fine line between a vision and a hallucination.

Nole is back - with sky-high confidence as newly crowned Wimbledon Champion - and that is very bad news for my favorite Federer on all Hard and Grass courts.

How can you guys be so cocksure of the opposite? I don't get it, but maybe I am flying low.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think Novak will be less competitive than what Federer became, but the lack of opposition will allow him to win a grand slam or 2 more. You would think nextGen will get their act together within 3 years, but until then I he’s got a chance. His biggest challenges will be Rafa and Dom at the French (can’t see him winning another), Delpo, Rafa, Roger and maybe Cilic at the US (again I’m not convinced seeing as he couldn’t win there from 12 - 14), but the Australian will open up for him I think unless the Korean GOAT rises soon and Wimbledon will be a lottery for a few years

·
Registered
284 Posts
Let's be honest Nola was really lucky with his opponents that he really didn't face quality opponent before rafa and that match was a toss up, either of them could have won it.

He where lucky that both Zverev and kyrigos lost in the third round and didn't have face them, but then again if he would have lost to either them it would have been a easier way for rafa as I don't see either kyri or zverev beating rafa with the form he showed in the nola match after a though qf match with nola.

So after a Roger loss it was alawys Rafa/nola slam to loose as I see the only guy that could give them any fight beside Roger in the upper half of the draw where Cilic but he also chocked

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
With the backboard pushing he can't last that long. I put him to 2020 AO tops.

Nadal and Federer play a much efficient game nowadays. Novak was lucky because Nadal is tired on his worst surface and roof conditions. But i expect him to clean up clay next year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts