Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is a greater threat to Nole at Wimbledon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite Federer being a more natural grass player, I think Wawrinka is a greater threat to Nole than Federer. If there's one thing that Nole and his camp doesn't have an answer for Wawrinka is his powerful backhand that can rip winners down-the-line and cross-court behind the baseline. Federer's serve is greatly effective on grass, but Wawrinka's serve is deadly too. He served 54 aces in 9 sets(3 matches).

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
lets see...the 7 time Wimbledon champion widely considered as the GOAT grass courter or Wawrinka who errr.....has done what exactly on grass?

It's Federer by miles obviously. Cannot wait for Wawrinka to lose so the hype will stop.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Federer. You people are completely clueless about Wawrinka. Oh well, the post FO hype is about to end soon.

·
6,610 Posts
On topic I don't think either are a threat.
Wawrinka is overhyped on grass, and has achieved very little on this surface, and Federer is not what he was.
Fed still slightly more dangerous imo.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Wawrinka. If he's on the zone it's really hard to stop him, Federer off the ground is a shadow of what he was and will depend a lot on his serve, like in last year's final. I'd expect a similar match with Djokovic edging it eventually.

lets see...the 7 time Wimbledon champion widely considered as the GOAT grass courter or Wawrinka who errr.....has done what exactly on grass?

It's Federer by miles obviously. Cannot wait for Wawrinka to lose so the hype will stop.

Sampras would be a bigger threat then, he won Wimbledon 7 times, right?

·
Registered
8,233 Posts
Wawrinka. If he's on the zone it's really hard to stop him, Federer off the ground is a shadow of what he was and will depend a lot on his serve, like in last year's final. I'd expect a similar match with Djokovic edging it eventually.

Sampras would be a bigger threat then, he won Wimbledon 7 times, right?
If he was in the tournament then yes. Wawrinka has done nothing. has he even beaten a top 10 player on the surface before?

·
Registered
536 Posts
If Marin turns for the quarter final it has to be him, he had Novak on the ropes last year. If Cilic goes 2-1 up this time he won't choke it away like last year because of the US Open win, Cilic now has the self belief to win slams.

·
23,797 Posts
If he was in the tournament then yes. Wawrinka has done nothing. has he even beaten a top 10 player on the surface before?
I know how much you take attention about Stan :lol:, but do know that his "history" with the game really has no effect on what he does later, as proven many times during his breakthrough years, right?

·
|
15,342 Posts

Wawrinka is on the way up (nobody won more slams than Wawrinka in 2014 and 2015), while Federer is on the way down (no slams since 2012 Wimbledon).
Wawrinka was not considered a great Roland Garros player (had never made a SF, and his results were virtually the same as Wimbledon throughout his career), until he won it last month :devil:

·
Registered
472 Posts
federer on a good day can wipe the floor with djokovic on grass.....

stan is still unproven on this surface and his shots look disjointed

·
|
15,342 Posts
On topic I don't think either are a threat.
Wawrinka is overhyped on grass, and has achieved very little on this surface, and Federer is not what he was.
Fed still slightly more dangerous imo.
Wawrinka at Roland Garros- R3 R1 R2 R3 R3 R4 R4 R4 QF R1 W
Wawrinka at Wimbledon- R1 R3 R1 R4 R4 R1 R2 R1 R1 QF....

·
23,797 Posts
Anyway, currently Stan has been struggling on his BH side on return. What he did well against Djokovic on his recent wins against him was having the BHDTL do great damage to get Djokovic guessing both on serve and return. Problem is he is mostly slicing this tournament on defense which while could annoy Djokovic (one thing I notice he dislikes is the OHBH slice as shown against Haas and Federer) I don't see it being an offensive shot to really be helpful in important points. A great weapon I see about Stan currently is his serve and his ability to peak in the right time to break but other than that unless he finds the consistent BH topspin for the rest of the tournament he would have difficulty beating Djokovic.

·
|
15,342 Posts
Its true Wawrinka's groundstrokes are not as effective on grass (nor is his belief in them, hence the more defensive approach), however his serve is an even bigger weapon on grass than on other surfaces, so if you combine that with Djokovic's lack of confidence in the rivalry, it would be no surprise to see Wawrinka reach the Wimbledon Final. Or he may lose to Kyrgios.

·
Banned
182 Posts
Wawrinka is definitely a bigger threat. He has the game to hit through Pushervic whereas Federer's ground game is non existent these days. If Federer can somehow find his ground game against Djokovic, then obviously he is a bigger threat as he is more of a natural player on grass but what are the odds on that happening?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Stan. Fed is not a threat to Novak at slams anymore.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
They both would almost definitely lose. With Stan's power, he probably has a better chance. If the final is Nole/Federer don't expect some 5 set battle again.

·
Registered
23,623 Posts
Murray >> Federer >>> Wawrinka.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I say Federer because my theory is that Stan has been ballbashing a lot recently and that won't cut it out on Grass against Djokovic. Last year at Wimby he was playing fantastic and with controlled aggression, not this year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts