Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great analysis from the BBC. Very significant how much more attractive Fed is to sponsors and how significantly wealthier he is than Nole.

As I said in another thread, Fed receives universal love and affection all over the world, Nole rarely receives love outside downtown Belgrade and at Beijing airport from Chinese teenage fangirls.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/45461137

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'm sure Nole will find a way to pay his rent at the end of the month ;) As for the universal love you're talking about, it's superficial at best, nothing to write home about. I mean, sure, there's no doubt that Federer has a greater fanbase and more sponsorships than Nole but tell me something new. As for wealth, that's a logical consequence of the aforementioned but keep in mind that Federer has also been a top player for at least 5 years longer than Nole.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I love both but the reason behind this is simply Fed has more GS and from western europe. Nole is not "white" enough and from eastern europe. It is also the case for Maria Sharapova and Serena. Despite the fact that Serena has far achieved more than Maria, Serena does not overwhelmingly out "wealth" Maria in terms of net worth. Maria is white and Serena is not.

The number-four ranked men’s player, Kei Nishikori, also brings in more than Williams, as does Maria Sharapova, who will out-earn her by $10 million despite not having been a genuine rival to Williams for years
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/08/serena-williams-sponsorship-nike-us-open/402985/

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
also Fed 'fans' around the world is all about IQ. yes, you may say that IQ has nothing to do with this, but it tells the bigger picture.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I'm sure if you make an adjustable prize won they should not close as prize money has been gone up since Federer started playing but don't know, don't care.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Who cares anyway. Both will be forgotten once they retire. You never see anyone talking about Sampras or Aggasi anymore. A younger generation will come and take there place.

Only Serena and Venus will be remembered from this generation because of what they've done for POC in sport and life.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Who cares anyway. Both will be forgotten once they retire. You never see anyone talking about Sampras or Aggasi anymore. A younger generation will come and take there place.

Only Serena and Venus will be remembered from this generation because of what they've done for POC in sport and life.
LOL No they won’t be forgotten. The younger generation won’t win half as much as Nadal, Federer and Djokovic have won. We are lucky to have witnessed three all time greats playing at the same time. As for Serena and Venus being the only ones to be remembered, the US is not the world.

As for the OP why are you so obsessed with this narrative that Nole is not popular outside of Serbia. He is well loved all over Asia + Australia and many parts of Europe. Contrary to popular belief America and the UK does not equate to the entire world.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
As I've pointed out before, the prize money thing is fairly irrelevant, given the obscene percentage by which it has increased within the last decade compared with previous ones.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Federer has charisma and is loved worldwide, that is why he will always have more money in endorsements.

we cant say the same for Novak.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
I'm sure Nole will find a way to pay his rent at the end of the month ;) As for the universal love you're talking about, it's superficial at best, nothing to write home about. I mean, sure, there's no doubt that Federer has a greater fanbase and more sponsorships than Nole but tell me something new. As for wealth, that's a logical consequence of the aforementioned but keep in mind that Federer has also been a top player for at least 5 years longer than Nole.
Wtf does this even mean :haha:

Federer is probably the most popular tennis player ever and Novak won't ever get close, no matter how many more slams he wins. This is because Fed's playing style and personality appeal to more people worldwide. Any further questions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm sure if you make an adjustable prize won they should not close as prize money has been gone up since Federer started playing but don't know, don't care.
Yes adjusted to 2018 dollars Federer is still about 40M in the lead (36M after this final)

Roger Federer $177,758,066
Novak Djokovic $137,823,602
Rafael Nadal $133,600,976
Pete Sampras $107,083,298
Andre Agassi $83,395,376
Boris Becker $80,577,729
Andy Murray $73,677,137
Ivan Lendl $66,709,611
Stefan Edberg $65,991,283
Michael Chang $46,699,831
Goran Ivanisevic $44,683,021
Lleyton Hewitt $44,172,381
David Ferrer $43,363,276
Andy Roddick $42,465,081
Yevgeny Kafelnikov $40,092,968
Tomas Berdych $37,647,780
Stan Wawrinka $36,245,128
Michael Stich $34,613,083
Jim Courier $32,489,169
Thomas Muster $31,211,853

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
And what love or wealth do you get? you sound like some teen fanboy. "ooohh my fav is more popular than yours," worry about yourself ffs. They both have more money and popularity than you can ever dream of.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Btw I find it a little ironic that Lacoste is owned by a swiss department store firm wich has it's headquaters in Basel, and how they can't sponsor Federer is beyond me.

Even though Lacoste is a french clothing company they are owned by the swiss and it's too bad that swiss greatest sports star can't be endorsed by a swiss clothing firm which has depeartment stores all over Switzerland ready to push Roger in his homeland.

And that lacoste deal with nole goes all the way to 2022 and get's around 10mill$ a year, and he will be ready to retire by the time that deal is up and I doubt he would get such a huge endorsment deal roger got that goes even after he retires

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wtf does this even mean :haha:

Federer is probably the most popular tennis player ever and Novak won't ever get close, no matter how many more slams he wins. This is because Fed's playing style and personality appeal to more people worldwide. Any further questions?
What it means is that 95% of tennis fans are casual fans who maybe only watch their idol on the big screen once or twice every year at GS finals and then completely forget about them for the rest of the season. To speak of "love" in such cases is hyperbolic to say the least. As for dedicated fans who really love their tennis idols and follow them week in and week out throughout the season, there's much less of them to go around but every top 10 player has more such hardcore fans than they could handle... Bottom line, yes, Federer is undoubtedly the most popular in numbers and he gets the most enforsements but that's an exercise in vanity more than anything that matters to any of them sports-wise or in their personal lives because they all have more than enough love, money and fame to go around.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
If Novak were American, he'd be a gazillionare.

But who cares really, move to Wall Street Journal forums.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts