Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when Boatovic and Coaterer face off on Thursday, it will be a do or die fight for semifinal qualification. My question is, who has more on the line? It’s interesting because Nole is playing for glory while Rogie is playing for pride. Here’s my take of what is at stake:

Nole - put himself in position to: tie all time record for year end number one (the most prestigious record in tennis), tie all time record for world tour finals, more likely break the record for weeks at number one.

Rogie - try to overcome 40-15. Not lose for a fifth time in a row to Nole. Not fall even farther behind in a head to head that has gotten quite out of hand.

So what say you? I’ll end with Rogie’s thoughts on the matter: “it’s good for me to play him again . . . to get a chance to get him back.”

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Definitely Rogie. A loss here means nothing to Novak. However, a loss here to Novak will be too much for Rogie to get over with, all the records in jeopardy, 6-0 losing streak, and more salt on the 40-15 wound...

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s my general thought. Another loss to Nole would be too much for Rogie, especially right after 40-15.

If he can’t beat Nole on grass or indoor hard, then he will never beat him again

Reactions: skytennis

·
Your visions will happen
50,996 Posts
Yes Roger has almost all his legacy on the line in one match. Can lose #1 and YEC records all in one night. Or. He can protect them.

·
22,246 Posts
Definitely Djokovic has more on the line. Both are playing to make it to the SF but Djokovic needs to win to potentially tie Federer in YEC wins, close in at his weeks at #1 and surpass him in terms of ending at YE#1 and tying the all time record with Sampras.

However it is important for Federer too, mainly for pride reasons and to protect his records as well. But most importantly to have a consolation after that Wimbledon defeat.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Djokovic is the clear favourite for this match (current odds 1.4 for Djokovic, 3.0 for Federer), so Djokovic has clearly more to lose.

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Roger has almost all his legacy on the line in one match. Can lose #1 and YEC records all in one night. Or. He can protect them.
It does feel that way doesn’t it? Hopefully the match lives up to it

Reactions: Johnny Groove

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
If match vs Thiem had been in straights, i'd say Novak but at this point i hope Novak keeps eye on the big prize to preserve himself for AO20 where potentially they will meet in SF or F w/ even bigger stakes on the line.

·
Registered
566 Posts
It's a huge match for both.

Novak is obviously still fighting for the YE1 and another YEC. And despite the loss to Thiem, Novak is still probably the tourney favorite as of right now.

For Fed this is HIS chance to put the Wimby disaster behind him. From a psychological standpoint you can't overstate enough just how huge a win this would be for Fed.

This would also allow Fed himself to protect his YE1 and YEC numbers.

Also if Fed were to win this match he would have a good chance at winning another YEC himself.

·
Premium Member
7,242 Posts
Noone realistically expects the SA#1 to win, so in that sense, he has nothing to lose.

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It does feel that way doesn’t it? Hopefully the ma
It's a huge match for both.

Novak is obviously still fighting for the YE1 and another YEC. And despite the loss to Thiem, Novak is still probably the tourney favorite as of right now.

For Fed this is HIS chance to put the Wimby disaster behind him. From a psychological standpoint you can't overstate enough just how huge a win this would be for Fed.

This would also allow Fed himself to protect his YE1 and YEC numbers.

Also if Fed were to win this match he would have a good chance at winning another YEC himself.
Good post, agreed

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Noone realistically expects the SA#1 to win, so in that sense, he has nothing to lose.
True, and I don’t expect the SA#1 to win, but maybe he will surprise us. After all, the last time he beat Nole (which was literally years ago) was in a round robin match at this very tournament...

·
Registered
770 Posts
People overestimate Federer's fragility here so they can write posts that fulfill their psycho-sexual frustrations. He's battle hardened and frankly used to getting out-done by Djokodal, he accepts the losses as they come and relishes the victories in all their forms when he can, especially at this stage of his career.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Just to make it clear, the odds don't matter.

Just like a strong man geared with machine gun and grenades breaking into your home, threatening your family and possession, and no matter how useless you mug are and how hopeless the situation is, you have a huge stake on the line.

Replace strong man with "Djoker" and mug with "Federer".

·
Banned
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to make it clear, the odds don't matter.

Just like a strong man geared with machine gun and grenades breaking into your home, threatening your family and possession, and no matter how useless you mug are and how hopeless the situation is, you have a huge stake on the line.

Replace strong man with "Djoker" and mug with "Federer".
I don’t think this answered the OP, but I liked this post nonetheless

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
My biggest concern is that federer will shank every second backhand into the stands. If he can get more stable off that wing and even hit winners with it like last year in bercy he has a shot. Also he has to serve a lot better. His serve in bercy was absolute garbage and it‘s a Minor miracle he didn’t get broken, yet it got Exposed in the final set tiebreak where he hit 2 double faults...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Fraud. He's on his way out. King will be around for many more years to come.
I think that this unbiased analysis have a point.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts