Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this the biggest turnaround in history as far as one top player owning the other on a particular court and then losing his grip?

Here are the results:
2006 Roland Garros Clay Quarterfinal Nadal 6–4, 6–4, RET
2007 Roland Garros Clay Semi-final Nadal 7–5, 6–4, 6–2
2008 Roland Garros Clay Semi-final Nadal 6–4, 6–2, 7–6(7–3)
2012 Roland Garros Clay Final Nadal 6–4, 6–3, 2–6, 7–5
2013 Roland Garros Clay Semi-final Nadal 6–4, 3–6, 6–1, 6–7(3–7), 9–7

Let's not forget about Davis Cup on clay:
2009 Davis Cup Clay First Round Nadal 6–4, 6–4, 6–1

So Nole has one only 3 sets from 17 sets here. And 3/14 at the FO.

When Rafa beat Roger at Wimbledon. He had already won 3 sets against him in 2 matches.

Now when it comes to examples, we are talking about important players and not some journeyman beating another one who has owned him in the past in the first round.

Discuss.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Why not wait for a few more hours? There's too much speculation on what will happen after the match.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not wait for a few more hours? There's too much speculation on what will happen after the match.
Because it's fun to talk about the match before it happens. Come on now.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Because it's fun to talk about the match before it happens. Come on now.
Because Nadal is the favorite now (according to the relatively objective bookies), it will be extremely disappointing if we have too much fun talking about what will happen if he wins now.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because Nadal is the favorite now (according to the relatively objective bookies), it will be extremely disappointing if we have too much fun talking about what will happen if he wins now.
Lol. Wut? Since when we go by what the bookies say? You know how many times Roger was the favorite on non-clay events and lost? If this is wrong, the mods will close it tomorrow first thing. But if it does happen, it does deserve discussion. I can't remember a top player being so dominated on on surface by another and then coming back to win when they are not that far apart in age. This is not a young Nole growing up to beat an old Nadal. They are close age wise

·
Registered
468 Posts
Rafa will win.

Djokovic was in beast mode last year and looked unstoppable in that match (until he choked in the 5th). Furthermore, Rafa just about kept his nerve against the one player who has obviously gotten into his head, and the reason he was able to do so is because RG is his fortress.

Djokovic doesn't look close enough to that form this year, whereas Rafa has peaked well and looked great in the SF. Rafa should take this in 4.

EDIT: Ok, just read your post again. It will be a turnaround but not a huge one, keeping in mind that Djokovic has beaten him at other slams and in clay tournaments. Furthermore, despite Rafa's incredible RG record, he has already lost there (albeit only once).

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Lol. Wut? Since when we go by what the bookies say? You know how many times Roger was the favorite on non-clay events and lost? If this is wrong, the mods will close it tomorrow first thing. But if it does happen, it does deserve discussion. I can't remember a top player being so dominated on on surface by another and then coming back to win when they are not that far apart in age. This is not a young Nole growing up to beat an old Nadal. They are close age wise
Ok let me answer your question. It will be one of the greatest moments in the history of tennis if Novak dethrones Rafa in RG final. Not only because it is the biggest turnaround, it is also because the best ever player on clay is beaten on the biggest stage. But that also tells you how difficult it would be for this to happen.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Rafa will win.

Djokovic was in beast mode last year and looked unstoppable in that match (until he choked in the 5th). Furthermore, Rafa just about kept his nerve against the one player who has obviously gotten into his head, and the reason he was able to do so is because RG is his fortress.

Djokovic doesn't look close enough to that form this year, whereas Rafa has peaked well and looked great in the SF. Rafa should take this in 4.

EDIT: Ok, just read your post again. It will be a turnaround but not a huge one, keeping in mind that Djokovic has beaten him at other slams and in clay tournaments. Furthermore, despite Rafa's incredible RG record, he has already lost there (albeit only once).
How was Novak in beast mode last year when Nadal led 177:158 in total points won?(125:116 in 2012RG final, interesting) 15+ point difference should be a match in 4.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Rafa will win.

Djokovic was in beast mode last year and looked unstoppable in that match (until he choked in the 5th).
Wrong.

Djokovic looked ok last year, nothing more.
In 2012, he was bad. The only year where he looked really good was 2011 ans perhaps 2008 as well.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Rafa will win.

Wishful thinking from a Fed fan with a slight liking of Nadull, I guess.
Djokovic was in no beast mode, otherwise he would have gone to win the 4th set like 6-1.
He plays overall even much smarter on clay now, and even in tight matchups (Federer, Gulbis, Raonic) he can keep his calm, unlike last year or before. How on hell couldn't he do that against his arch-enemy??

The time has come. He fully knows that. He can't commit any mistakes. It's gonna be an epic and he cannot allow to miss it this time.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok let me answer your question. It will be one of the greatest moments in the history of tennis if Novak dethrones Rafa in RG final. Not only because it is the biggest turnaround, it is also because the best ever player on clay is beaten on the biggest stage. But that also tells you how difficult it would be for this to happen.
Well, I don't care about the second part. Just wanted to see what else comes close. I think it's pretty unprecedented for a lopsided rivalry on this court (FO) only to be turned around when the players are close in age. Not surprising but if it were to happen, it'd be quite something

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Well, I don't care about the second part. Just wanted to see what else comes close. I think it's pretty unprecedented for a lopsided rivalry on this court (FO) only to be turned around when the players are close in age. Not surprising but if it were to happen, it'd be quite something
Unless Nadal comes out with some real invincible tactics, he has no chance only can hope that he will be able to outlast Djokovic.

As in 2011 Nole was able to out-Nadal him so many times, he is able to raise his game when it matters most.
No more clowning/folding like last year's slam matches against Nadal and no more bad tactics like this year's match against Wawrinka.
The true Novak Djokovic has arrived.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unless Nadal comes out with some real invincible tactics, he has no chance only can hope that he will be able to outlast Djokovic.

As in 2011 Nole was able to out-Nadal him so many times, he is able to raise his game when it matters most.
No more clowning/folding like last year's slam matches against Nadal and no more bad tactics like this year's match against Wawrinka.
The true Novak Djokovic has arrived.
Just for the sake of this rivalry, I hope you are right. We are going to see what's going to happen. Rafa's improved form concerns me a lot. He was playing like crap 3 weeks ago, and now he is not dropping games...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts